Thread: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens

Real Name
    Chuck

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens

I am thinking about buying a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens. Comments form experienced users of this lens would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Lens

I considered this but thought the range was far far too limiting

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200400.htm

So I opted for this

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80-400mm.htm

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/Nikon-...KOR-_2835.html

Must be the "Nano" coated one

I have many Nikkor lenses and this and the 70-200 f2.8 are my mainstay, HOWEVER I have ordered the NEW "Sports" 150-600 Sigma also with the NEW Sigma 1.4 converter

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Comments form experienced users of this lens would be appreciated.
    I purchased this glass early last spring and, though my first impressions
    were not meeting my expectations, the thing grew on me.

The most important thing is an agreement with the reseller that you may
    return it if after the followings you are not satisfied. I had no problem to
    reach such an agreement that extended over a week.

This lens is the most sophisticated and complicated piece of glass produced
    by any manufacturer in history. It is not for non pro level users! By pro level
    user I mean pro level knowledge of your equipment, pro level body, and not
    necessarily making a living of it.

Such a technical wonder requires from its owner pro level knowledge of the
    AF Fine Tuning feature of the body it is intended to. I use it on my D3S, D3X
    and D800E with very much satisfaction only because I went through the pains-
    taking procedure of AF Fine Tuning on each body.

As far as focal multipliers are concerned (1.4 /1.7 /or else), I found nothing
    at Nikon nor at third parties that meets my criteria, they are probably too strict.
    I am not willing to compromise when it comes to the quality that will be reflected
    in the work I do.

Here are some pictures, on my website, taken with that very precious lens:

The Marsh

Swans & Other Feathers

The Marsh under Heavy Rain

Fog Over the Marsh

And here is a SOOC sample of what is awaiting you there in Swans & Other Feathers:

Last edited by Kodiak; 22nd September 2014 at 05:30 PM.

This was a great experience, thank you for the links.

Real Name
    Dan

Chuck, I shoot the original version 200-400 VR. I think the only difference is the VRII upgrade and better lens coatings on the new version. I also have and shoot the AF-S version of the 80-400, the "N" version that Jeremy refered to.

I've had the 200-400 for six years and have shot literally tens of thousands of frames with it. It is an excellent lens. Unless you set it up in lab conditions I would challenge anyone to differentiate the post processed IQ from a comparable prime lens. Particularly if it's being used with a cropped sensor body which only uses the sharpest part of the lens and virtually eliminates any vignette. I've also shot it a good bit with a 1.4x extender with no real world notice in degradation. Again, maybe in a lab it does but not noticeable on sports/wildlife usage. If you visit my website virtually all of the eagle, bear, otter, moose, and canine agility photos displayed there were shot with that lens. Its down sides, it is rather dark, "T" stop is more like f5 than f4 and when used on a full frame body has over a stop of vignette. Neither are significant issues but it is noticeable in use compared to looking through a brighter f4 lens(e.g.500mm f4). I didn't have any of the tuning issues that Kodiak experienced. I shot it for years with several bodies in blissful ignorance. Last year I did set it up and test it with LensAlign/Focustune with three different bodies at 200/300/400mm and none of the bodies required any adjustment. Maybe I bought mine back when Nikon still cared about quality products

All that said, I've now had the 80-400 for six months or so(I also previously owned the old version) and have shot a few thousand frames through it with both full frame and cropped sensor bodies. I can sum my experience up very simply. Unless you plan on printing bigger than 11x14 prints, or crop heavily, or simply aim for perfection for the sake of perfection, or need the f4 vs f5.6 for DOF control purposes... then I'd save money and back ache and go with the AF-S 80-400 (with the money you save you can buy a D810 or a used D4). However if you do feel like you need the 200-400 for whatever reason, I wouldn't hesitate getting one.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Jeremy, I use a Nikon 80 - 400 for most of my wildlife photography, but I would like a faster lens and one that focuses more quickly. This is a major decision for me and your feedback is helpful. I will explore your links in more detail.

Thanks, Chuck

Real Name
    Dan

Thank you Jeremy, I use a Nikon 80 - 400 for most of my wildlife photography, but I would like a faster lens and one that focuses more quickly....
    As I mentioned I had the old version of the 80-400 and got rid of it because AF was too slow for shooting BIF. The new AF-S version is lightning fast focusing. If that is your main reason for looking at the 200-400 it isn't necessary. If you are already used to the handling of the 80-400 then the new version would fit right in. Just faster, sharper, less CA, etc. Learning to shoot the 200-400 is another story.

Real Name
    Chuck

Kodiak, thanks for taking the time to give such thorough feedback. I have two camera bodies, a Nikon D7100 and a D800e. If I make the purchase I intend to use the lens on both bodies. For wildlife action shots I like the D7100 for its ability to take more photos quickly. But I use the D800e for more stationary wildlife.

Thank you for sharing the links to your website. Your photos are remarkable and give me an idea of what the lens can do in capable hands.

Chuck

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Thank you Jeremy, I use a Nikon 80 - 400 for most of my wildlife photography, but I would like a faster lens and one that focuses more quickly. This is a major decision for me and your feedback is helpful. I will explore your links in more detail.

Thanks, Chuck
    As I said just my needs, the zoom range was too narrow

Real Name
    Chuck

Dan, the photos on your website, taken with the 200 -400 lens are beautiful. I have one really good lens, and what a difference it makes. And your comments are very helpful. Thank you for taking time to give me feedback.

Chuck

Real Name
    Joe

Hey Chuck, I just had the same decision. I opted for the AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED. I found the lens refurbished listed on Buydig.com for $1999, $700 dollars cheaper than the new one listed at $2700. Before buying I read every review I could find, all were positive. I do not know what you think about refurbished equipment but all of mine is refurbished by Nikon and it works perfectly. Here are a couple of images I shot today with that lens. Not sure what body you have but I am using it with my D7000.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thank you Joe. I'm convinced that you could use coke bottle glass and produce beautiful images. Seriously, I appreciate your input. Does your lens have fast focus? It must to get the images you get. This is a tough decision for me. Thanks for taking time to help me.

Chuck

Real Name
    Joe

Hi Chuck, yes the focus is super fast. If you go for this lens make sure you get the one I listed with the super ED and ED glass in it and the Nano coating. It is a total new redesign from the old Nikon 80-400. This one has the Silent Wave Motor for focusing built into the lens.