Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Photo Suite

Real Name
    Philippe

Perfect Photo Suite

Hello,
    I would like if someone have experience with the last Perfect Photo Suite of OnOne software, as a stand alone program? For what do you need to have Lightroom also? Sorry if my question looks stupid for PP masters
    Philippe

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Perfect Photo Suite

Philippe - the OnOne Suite is more of a special purpose set of tools for doing very specific tasks; special effects, B&W conversions. Lightroom (amongst others) is more of a general purpose editing tool.

Nicely said; you need a general purpose editing tool and if you need specific other tools in your post-processing toolbox, then packages like OnOne, Nik or Topaz complement your basic editing software. OnOne can be used as a stand alone tool or as a plug-in for other editing tools.

If you already use Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, GIMP, etc as a basic editor, then you might want to consider something like OnOne. If you don't; get a tool to do your editing and think about OnOne (or the others) at a later time.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

I just updated my PPSuite to version 9.
    It confirms my expectations that other developers are woking hard to reach the
    needs of the no-more-Adobe-fans among which I may be counted.

This v9 is far from v8 that was quite good already. With v9, you will not need
    Lightroom any more.

Real Name
    Richard

Although I have always used the Perfect Photo Suite (am using version 8.5 at the present time) by OnOne Software as a plug-in for Photoshop CS6. However, I do believe that it has the capability to be used as a stand-alone program without riding on the back of Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom. This appears to be especially true with the recently introduced Version 9 (as mentioned by Kodiak, above)

I do know that it has some capabilities that will enhance Lightroom when used in conjunction with that program since it brings masking and layers to the table. I "think" that a Photoshop Expert can do anything with Photoshop that can be done within the Perfect Photo Plug-in. However, using Perfect photo Suite, you don't really need such a high level of Photoshop expertise. OTOH, adding Perfect Photo Suite to Lightroom will provide capabilities (like layers) that Lightroom alone doesn't provide (to the best of my recollection - I haven't used Lightroom in years!). Perfect Photo Suite + Lightroom is a reasonably priced alternative to CS6 and perhaps Photo Suite V.9 can work alone...

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/suite9/

The Perfect Photo Suite is advertised by On One Software as capable of being a stand alone editor. I cannot vouch for just how well Perfect Photo Suite works as a stand-alone photo editor but it is lots of fun to use with my CS6. In fact I have upgraded to Perfect Photo Suite 9 and I am anxious to use it when it comes out next month...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st September 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

Lightroom any more.
    In that case they must have made some major upgrades from Verson 7; which is the last version I bought. It was definitely available in either plug-in mode or stand alone mode, but it did not have basic editing functionality.

Real Name
    Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    In that case they must have made some major upgrades from Verson 7; which is the last version I bought. It was definitely available in either plug-in mode or stand alone mode, but it did not have basic editing functionality.
    I'm not sure of what you call "basic editing functionality", but with PPPS8 (I own it as a stand alone for now, the question being do I need to add LR?)and over, you can easily work about things like brightness, contrast, color temperature, vibrance, shadows recovering, highlight, crop, resize, sharpening, and few more.
    I know that there is no perspective correction, lens correction. What else?
    Btw, thanks a lot to everyone who take time to answer my original question, I deeply appreciate it!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    In that case they must have made some major upgrades from Verson 7;
    It is!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    I'm not sure of what you call "basic editing functionality", but with PPPS8 (I own it as a stand alone for now, the question being do I need to add LR?)and over, you can easily work about things like brightness, contrast, color temperature, vibrance, shadows recovering, highlight, crop, resize, sharpening, and few more.
    I know that there is no perspective correction, lens correction. What else?
    Btw, thanks a lot to everyone who take time to answer my original question, I deeply appreciate it!
    When triggering their CC approach to marketing, Adobe triggered a lot more
    than they wanted. A goof like that was the only chance many developers would
    never have hoped for.

OnOne is such a developer among many others and their moves are fast and
    clever. Of course, Adobe still has an edge but time is against the company.

•••

With your actual stand alone version, you will need a RAW converter and,
    as for many other Adobe products, the competition is not sleeping.

All previous to PPS9 version will need RAW converter since these earlier
    versions were more thought as "imagery" software.

With v9,
    • development layers are saved for future adjustments
    • healing brush and content aware functions are integrated etc.

Have a good time exploring!

Real Name
    John

I wouldn't assume that Adobe will stand still Kodiak. I'll bet they had a chat about what to call CC and avoided calling it CC1 for obvious reasons but upgrades will occur and the interesting thing will be what they charge for them and if current CC makes use of any web based facilities how long they carry on working. The usually answer to this sort of things it to simply cease supporting them - new cameras for instance. As a company they do seem to have a problem - turnover up but profits not keeping pace. I'd guess this is why CC. It might also get round all the hacked versions of CS that are out there.

Once new users have gone through the learning curve on a PP package it puts the suppliers into a strong position. There is that aspect too.

John
    -

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I wouldn't assume that Adobe will stand still Kodiak.
    They had all their cards in their hands… they played CC, that was their move. The
    other developers had very little options… but Adobe served them a new motivation.
    The choice was difficult:
    • live with a given piracy /not comfortable I understand, or
    • their adopted CC direction.

When Bill Gates was asked about the level of piracy in China he said:
    "What can I do? On the other hand, these people are using my software and
    when comes the time, since they will be at ease with it, it will be the one
    they will buy!"

Real Name
    Philippe

With v9,

Have a good time exploring![/QUOTE]

Hi Kodiak, I used DNG as RAW converter and am used to continue with PPS8.5 for upgrading the pictures. I also got the announcement for the v9 and registered (oups....). Do you think that adding LR5 is mandatory for best results or can I stay with pps alone? For example is there perspective correction software other than adobe (even freeware if I can say that ).
    Thanks a lot for your interventions.

Real Name

Hi Kodiak, I used DNG as RAW converter and am used to continue with PPS8.5 for upgrading the pictures. I also got the announcement for the v9 and registered (oups....). Do you think that adding LR5 is mandatory for best results or can I stay with pps alone? For example is there perspective correction software other than adobe (even freeware if I can say that ).
    Thanks a lot for your interventions.
    I don't know that OnOne has tackle perspective correction in PPS9, you should
    explore that.

As far as I am concerned, I will go on using my pro RAW converter no matter what.

Real Name
    John

With v9,

Have a good time exploring!
    Thanks a lot for your interventions.[/QUOTE]

If you want a raw converter that will also do rather a lot of other things have a look at Rawtherapee and read the manual concerning setting it up for various cameras. Once you have done that it will autodetect them.

Be prepared to spend some time learning to use all of it. Actually it will do all that really needs doing to images other than local work but can be set up to export to any other package. It also saves processing steps so if the raw is loaded again it will also load these so that they can be changed if needed or reset to neutral. One aspect that can cause some people problems is the clipping indicators. By default these show if any channel is clipped. Preventing that can cause flat images. The answer is to click on the luminosity clipping indication as a check. It only offers one gradient - I have pointed out why more are needed and with a bit of luck some one might pick that up. Saves are not instantaneous as it runs through all of the steps including demosaicing.

It has some interesting facilities. Sharpening has a luminosity mask. Noise removal has both a luminosity mask and a detail level setting. The cursor can be use to identify colours in an image and these can then be adjusted in lab colour space. There are also lab versions of brightness, contrast and saturation. Contrast by detail level is also interesting. CA correction adjustments are done from raw as they shoyld be. All work is all done in prophoto underneath it all.

They have moved the main manual on line now. Often it gives better instructions than the pdf. It's here.

http://50.87.144.65/~rt/w/index.php?title=

Initially I couldn't figure out how best to use the noise removal. Googling rawtherapee noise removal soon fixed that.

I have had a go at trying to get some one to make it capable of doing local work as well. Don't hold out much hope. OS people will spend lots and lots of time adding sophisticated noise removal and lab adjustments but none seem to be prepared to re arrange the whole package. Apart from the GIMP all are much the same as far as local work is concerned. Luminosity masks crop up but are useless on many images.

Coral After Shot Pro isn't bad either That will also isolate colours in an image for manipulation and does have layers of the adjustment type plus local work but only one healing layer.

John
    -

Real Name
    Dan

I'm a PPSv8.5 user and love it. I currently use it as a plug-in to LR5. So I'm a fan. Still, one should be aware that the new features of PPSv9 are still theoretical as it hasn't actually been released yet. I like it enough that I've already paid for the upgrade and am waiting for the notice that it is available for download. Supposed to happen in October. No doubt it will have the capabilities as advertised but HOW they are deployed and how the user interface functions is yet to be seen. While OnOne is coming on strong as pointed out by Kodiak, I'll be hanging on to LR for a while yet. It is still hard to beat for downloading, organizing, and base RAW processing.

Simple answer, no, you don't NEED LR. But for a relatively nominal cost it is an excellent tool.

Real Name
    Philippe

"If you want a raw converter that will also do rather a lot of other things have a look at Rawtherapee and read the manual concerning setting it up for various cameras. Once you have done that it will autodetect them."
    Thanks John for your tip, I'd a look on Rawtherapee and to be honest it looks like to me that it's made for PhD in optical science, at least !!!! And also thanks a lot for the the link to Rawpedia, it's really useful, now I just need time to learn it (waiting impatiently for retirement ).
    Last edited by PhilT; 23rd September 2014 at 06:32 AM.

Real Name
    John

The best thing to do with rawtherapee is to ignore the unusual bits that PP packages don't usually have. Most of what is needed for basic raw adjustments are at the top of the 1st tab. Sharpening in the 2nd one. The meaning of things like highlight compression/reconstruction are pretty obvious, black point too and people use these one way or the other when ever they PP a raw. I should know how the 2 curves panels work. I suspect the 1st one functions in the same way as Nikon's raw+curve does. The 2nd one should be a conventional curve. Just about all proficient PP people use curve adjustments. It's a subject in it's own right. It's a pity it doesn't have levels as that can be easier to use but doesn't have the same flexibility.

One thing you must do is go to the the 3rd tab - colour management and under Input profile select custom and navigate to the camera profiles when you have installed them. You may need to do this when ever a different camera is used. As it didn't always do this automatically I check this tab each time I load a raw file. This tab also has a vibrance slider. It will also handle cameras that don't have a profile by selecting camera standard. When working on jpg's select use embedded if possible.

If you work on a series of raw files the top right will show default and all settings will be the same as they were last time. If these aren't wanted click on it and select neutral or change them as needed. The settings can also be save and loaded here. It always saves them when raw files have been processed so that the file can be loaded again and adjusted further if needed.

At times the main view has had update problems. Not worth worrying about as it seems to be fixed now. It was a problem with the 100% view. There is an icon towards bottom left that throws up 100% resolution views of sections of the image, as many as are needed and they can be moved around the image. In practice this is often more useful than the 100% view.

What else. I often open files via a right click instead of using the image browser. When I save them it retains the last directory used - useful - but not where the file came from. There will be a shortcut in the navigation pane to the directory the file came from. That directory is also shown top right.

Preferences can only be accessed from the file browser.

The LAB adjustments can appear confusing. LAB is based round human perception after a fashion - that's why it has what they have called lightness = brightness etc adjustments. On the other hand it also recognises colours which is what the curves it offers are about. The easiest ones to use are LH,CH and HH. Lightness,contrast and hue respectively. Hover over the button icon at the bottom of these and it will tell you how to use them. Using the L, a and b curves effectively is beyond me so far. CC.LC and CL too but I have played about with this but in the other colour model they have CIE2002.

Really I suspect the only problem with Rawtherapee is that it encourages people to use the adjustments they will eventually use right from day one and offers a lot more which can lead to a mess. The main thing is the 1st few in the 1st tab while watching the histogram and the image. The rest are really for augmenting what these produce - not fixing problems.

John
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

Lightroom any more.
    New member here. I have version 9 of PPS v9 and LR 5.7. PPS i do not think PPS has the lens correction capability which LR has. I use LR for some editing, cropping and lens correction and send it to PPS for other effects. I realize the question was using it as a stand alone but I thought I would tell about a bug in the program. It took me 3 emails for them to admit you can not send a picture from LR to PPS9 as easily as with version 8. I am trying to find out if they are going to put this feature back in or can I get my refunded. I use the windows version. On you tube they use a mac version to show how to send a photo to PPS and I commented that this could not be done in the windows version. Their response was to remove my comment.
    I will probably go back to version 8 and look for a noise reduction program. The improved masking brush is not as important as the getting photos from LR.

Real Name
    Dave

It took me 3 emails for them to admit you can not send a picture from LR to PPS9 as easily as with version 8.
    Hi and welcome.

I am puzzled by this, because with (apparently) almost the same software versions except that I am on LR 5.5 I don't seem to have any problems. What is your difficulty?

Dave

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    The best thing to do with rawtherapee is to ignore the unusual bits that PP packages don't usually have. Most of what is needed for basic raw adjustments are at the top of the 1st tab. Sharpening in the 2nd one. The meaning of things like highlight compression/reconstruction are pretty obvious, black point too and people use these one way or the other when ever they PP a raw.

<>
    John
    -
    Excellent 'review' if I may say. One point I would add is about sharpening - the amount applied and shown on-screen is not necessarily what you will get in a re-sampled image (down or up). This is mentioned in the manual.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by donvt View Post
    ... I thought I would tell about a bug in the program...you can not send a picture from LR to PPS9 as easily as with version 8...
    Not sure what you mean by "send a picture"??? Opening a photo to edit in PPS9 directly from LR5 is exactly as it was with PPS8. You must use a feature to "send" pictures that I'm not aware of. At any rate, it seems rather straight forward to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast