Thread: Beam Me Up!

Real Name
    Andrew

Beam Me Up!

In an effort to help myself concentrate on simplifying composition I've been participating in a MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) offered by the University of Delaware in "Phoneography." The point of the course is to help people learn to take better images with their cell phone cameras. The limitations imposed by a simple camera are an interesting way to force me to think more carefully about light and composition. These are a few of the images I'm made with my iPhone over the past week. Doing PP work on the tiny iPhone screen with PhotoShopExpress is a challenge!

1.) Beam Me Up!

2.) Beam Me Up!

3.) Beam Me Up!

4.) Beam Me Up!

Real Name
    Nick

Re: Beam Me Up!

Frankly it does not seem that the iphone gives great limitations in those images. Those compositions are indeed simple, but I'm not sure what meaning/feeling we are supposed to get from looking up at a metal post, or the side of an apartment???

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Awww Nick...I like the side of the apartment building shot...it shows patterns and architecture pushed into one. The overhead wires of the the mechanical doggie shot in #2 needed to be removed and #3 seems to me overprocessed. which brings me back to my favourite which is the last one, the apartment building...

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You're on to a great discipline and you're using it to your advantage. I especially like the first and third photos.

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    Frankly it does not seem that the iphone gives great limitations in those images. Those compositions are indeed simple, but I'm not sure what meaning/feeling we are supposed to get from looking up at a metal post, or the side of an apartment???
    I suppose the only response I can provide is that any meaning taken from images I produce is the responsibility of the viewer. Your mileage may vary. Thanks for having a look and commenting.

Real Name
    Andrew

Izzy - Thanks for viewing and commenting. I agree the wires need to be removed but I confined myself to processing that image on the iPhone and decided it was too tedious a task. Yes, however, I did push the saturation slider a bit more than I am accustomed to on image 3.

Mike - Thanks for viewing and commenting. I'm finding the discipline of working with the iPhone camera stimulating. Forcing myself to simplify and consciously making use of various techniques of composition is, I feel, improving my approach to photography.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

I really like the simplicity of all of these - you've really had to go and find the shot and succeeded very well

Real Name
    mark

Neat idea Andrew. looks to be working nicely.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Andrew,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You're on to a great discipline and you're using it to your advantage. I especially like the first and third photos.
    I'm with Mike on these two - and the concept of the exercise.

My thought on #1 was to title it "twenty past six" - y'all may need to view it in the LightBox to "get it" - that was when the thought struck me.

Cheers, Dave

Real Name
    Matt

Really like the 2nd one, nice shot!

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Andrew I like #1 very much. I like #3 too. I would remove the lamp post in it but because you confined yourself to the iphone, I think it would be difficult or impossible.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMcD View Post
    Beam Me Up!
    Beam Me Up, Scotty! That is if you want to stick to the script… ;-)