Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Crop Vignetting in ACR

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Post Crop Vignetting in ACR

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    A vignette in the context of a lens correction is not the same as a vignette in the context of an artistic post-processing decision. The former context has to do with a lens that prevents the corners of the sensor from being exposed to as much light as in roughly the other 90% of the sensor; ideally, the perfect lens (not that one exists) will expose all areas of the sensor to the same amount of light with no falloff in the corners. The other context has to do with implementing an artistic decision as opposed to correcting a deficiency in the lens.

So, generally you would not want to use a tool intended to correct a lens deficiency when you want to implement an artistic decision.
    I disagree. First, the sliders Binnur asked about are not tools intended to correct for a lens deficiency. Here is from Adobe:

To apply a dark or light vignette for artistic effect to a photo, use the Post-Crop Vignetting options in the Effects panel.
    I think that is why it is under "effects" rather than "lens correction" in the Develop panel. Apart from that, what difference would it make? It seems to me that all that matters is whether the tool accomplishes what you want. If you want to create a vignette for artistic reasons, these sliders do it very flexibly. I use them often for that purpose.

Real Name
    Binnur

Dan,as far as I understand from Mike's comments, he already knows that the sliders I asked are not tools intented to correct lens deficiency and he suggested the same thing as you suggest. So, I think there is nothing to disagree about ( He just tried to explain the difference between to functions in his comment and suggested that for artistic reasons it is better to use the 'effect' panel rather than the 'correction' panel)

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I disagree. First, the sliders Binnur asked about are not tools intended to correct for a lens deficiency. Here is from Adobe:

I think that is why it is under "effects" rather than "lens correction" in the Develop panel. Apart from that, what difference would it make? It seems to me that all that matters is whether the tool accomplishes what you want. If you want to create a vignette for artistic reasons, these sliders do it very flexibly. I use them often for that purpose.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Dan,as far as I understand from Mike's comments, he already knows that the sliders I asked are not tools intented to correct lens deficiency and he suggested the same thing as you suggest. So, I think there is nothing to disagree about ( He just tried to explain the difference between to functions in his comment and suggested that for artistic reasons it is better to use the 'effect' panel rather than the 'correction' panel)
    I see. Sorry, Mike.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

No apology needed, Dan. It's easy to get a little confused following the threads, especially with people like me hanging out causing some of the confusion.

Real Name
    Binnur

Very underestimating comment about yourself Mike . That's why I can't mark your last comment as helpful. I have always learnt from your comments and I don't think you hang out doing nothing in CinC . Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. Thanks also for being patient and kind with us

No apology needed, Dan. It's easy to get a little confused following the threads, especially with people like me hanging out causing some of the confusion.

That's why I can't mark your last comment as helpful.
    Ah ha! I finally got ya!

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Binnur!

It is possible to take the image back to ACR by using Camera Raw Filter in PS CC to add a vignette later at the end of the work flow.
    Yes.

First thing you need to do before doing this is create a new “stamp visible” layer to take into the Camera Raw filter. If you are not familiar with this see this. The link is about PS Elements but applies to PS as well. This is a very important thing to know anyway especially if you deal with a lot of layers.

Do you know any other ways to add a vignette in PS CC rather than the one in Lens Corrections?
    At the top of your layer stack in PS, same as above, create a “stamp visible” layer. Maybe name it “vignette” or something.

Without "Stamp Visible" layer:
    Post Crop Vignetting in ACR

With "Stamp Visible" layer:

With the "Vignette" layer highlighted use a Marquee tool (typically the elliptical) to make a selection of the element in the photo you want to have a vignette around.

In the menu bar choose Select>Refine Edge. Tweak the selection edge however you want it. Choose Output to: Selection. Click “Okay”.

Change that layer mode (Vignette) to “Multiply”. It will darken the entire layer.

Hit your “Delete” key and that will delete the layer inside your selection. In the menu bar: Select>Deselect to lose the Marquee.

Boom! Vignette!

From here you can adjust the layer’s (vignette’s) opacity, dodge it, burn it, and erase it on this layer to suit. Don’t like it? Just delete the layer!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 19th September 2014 at 02:14 AM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you very much Terry . Yes, I know I have to create a stamp visible layer before using camera raw filter in PS. I use stamp visible function whenever I need by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E . But I didn't know the way you explained above for creating a vignette in PS. Thanks again for such a detailed explanation

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E
    Can you do that without breaking any fingers? If your fingers become malformed over time, using that shortcut will surely be the cause.

Real Name
    Binnur

Fortunately , PS doesn't ask me to stand on my head besides

Can you do that without breaking any fingers? If your fingers become malformed over time, using that shortcut will surely be the cause.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12