Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7d ii

7d ii

Now that it is official; what do people think about it?

Real Name
    Warrick

Re: 7d ii

Don't know. Will you lend me yours when you get it. Then I can tell you. Like most things they throw in a few new features, so you have to scroll through more menus.

Real Name
    Dan

The real question, in my mind, is the performance of the sensor, and it will take a while to get data on this. The AF system seems to be a step above the 5d3, which is already fabulous.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    The real question, in my mind, is the performance of the sensor, and it will take a while to get data on this. The AF system seems to be a step above the 5d3, which is already fabulous.
    Yup. Everyone wants to see how the sensor performs/compares to the 70D's. The AF system actually looks a lot like the 1DX's which surprised me. The 1DX and 5DMkII both have 61 pts, and 41 (iirc) are cross-type. The 7DMkII has 65, all cross-type, and inherits the iRT of the 1DX as well as the RBG metering. Add in the dual card slots, 10 fps, and an expanded buffer, and sports/wildlife shooters are probably very very tempted. The built-in GPS and intervalometer are nice gracenotes, too. I'm really surprised. I thought the 7DMkII would look like a crop 5DMkIII, and it's looking more like a prosumer crop 1DX.

BTW, the other two announcements that surprised me were the Canon Powershot G7 X (Canon's version of an RX100--1" sensor and f/1.8-f/2.8 lens) and the Panasonic LX100 (fixed-lens four-thirds-sensor camera; kinda sorta. They cheat it a little with the multi-aspect thing. But they also gave it 4k, an EVF, a flash hotshoe, and eliminated the mode dial with A settings on the aperture and shutter speed dials).

Real Name
    Greg

Scott Kelby seems impressed. http://scottkelby.com/

Real Name
    Matthew

Foolishly, I followed the rumors on canonrumors.com for months, and therefore was getting excited about "rumored" specs that ended up being false. Thus, there were some disappointments for me when I saw the official specs. However, being a reasonable person, I looked past the let-downs and began focusing (no pun intended) on the positives and advantages of what is presented in this new body. Frankly, I have quickly got myself very excited about it. I watched the vids on the canon official website, and read the specs and full description of features on their site, as well. It's clear the AF and some other upgrades will crush the mk1 performance, and those are just a portion of what I'm excited about (the AF will absolutely be a huge boon for wildlife shooting). But as others mentioned, the sensor and image quality are the question at this point. Canon seem to really push how much the IQ has improved for low light and higher ISO's, not just compared to the mk 1, but in general as well. I'm convinced it will be significantly better than the mk1 in the IQ department. I'm also convinced that, as a whole, this camera will completely destroy the mk 1 in every way. There's no question that, despite some things I feel it lacks (notably, higher MP count), this camera is something I will need to pick up to have a body that can allow me to get images which I am otherwise skilled to obtain, but the 7d mk1 cannot perform for (lower light, birds in flight, etc).

Finally, a couple months ago, it was revealed to me that someone I know, has shot with the mkII in preproduction. That person followed the NDA and would not give me real details, but they were adamant that the mkII is significantly improved in low light, higher ISO, image quality, and of course, AF. I got nothing from them, other than what I just mentioned, and "sell your version 1 asap."

Now I need to figure out how the heck I'm going to come up with the money to pick this beast up, plus the new battery grip.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I wont be going Canon, but from what I have seen if I were "still" a Canon user I would not hesitate.

Real Name
    John

There is a decent initial review of it here

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii

If I bought another dslr it was likely to be the 6D down to light levels for focusing and metering. Looks like the 7D II beats that. Just leaves ISO and noise.

John
    -

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I read, did I not, that it's fully weather-sealed? Nice. As one who is often out and about when the weather is less-than-sunny, that would be an attraction.

Real Name
    John

I would assume so Donald. It would fall short of being pro standard if not.

On that point I have finished up with 2 Billingham bags. The larger and older one is canvas. Water soaks into the outside layer but doesn't go through. Genuine Scotchgard should fix that. The other is a much smaller F2.8. Hasn't arrived yet but a video shows water balling up and rolling off it. I'd say it would be ok with a number of cameras and a 2nd lens as it's deeper front to back than their other small bags. Best check sizes to be sure. The other small bags tend to be very shallow front to back. The F1.4 is bigger. These are open topped when the "lid" is lifted so in someways better for working out of the bag.

If the scotchgard doesn't work out good old fashioned weather proofing wax certainly would. Barbour still sell it.

John
    -

Real Name
    wm c boyer

John, your link to dpreview provided some interesting comparisons...thanks for that!

Am I going to buy one...it's up in the air???
    I like the crop concept in that...it uses the sweet centermost spot of all lenses, it has the equivalency
    of 40+ MP (somebody else can run the exact numbers) were one to compare it to a FF body in terms of
    pixel density, and the well know lens "reach".

Were I doing more outdoor stuff, BIF and all that genre, it would be a no-brainer. But with most of my
    work relegated to table-top stacking and merging subjects like studio flowers, less attractive bokeh on
    a crop sensor comes to play.

Like I said, it's up in the air.

Real Name
    Dan

Chauncey,

I would be in the same place you are, except that last year I gave up waiting for the 7Dii and bought a 5D3. I kept my 50D, but I can't justify replacing it.

Here's my take about the macro question. For bugs at magnifications close to 1:1, the pixel density issue is real, especially if you are going to crop. It's even an issue with my 50D, which has only 15 MP. A crop is also lighter and smaller, which makes it easier to manage when hunting bugs. As a result, I do virtually all of my bug hunting with my 50D. However, for table-top shots of flowers, a crop usually doesn't have an advantage. In most of my flower shots, the level of magnification is such that I fill the frame on the 5D, and if I need a little more magnification, I can always throw on one or more tubes. Therefore, I now do almost all of my table-top macro with the 5D, since I have it anyway. I wouldn't go FF just for that, however. A crop works fine for that purpose as well.

Dan

Real Name
    John

For APS-C the pixel density for FF equivalent is times 2.6. If they did APS-H it would be 1.5 - if my trusty sensor size and area chart is correct. Nikon APS-C is a bit bigger. It's hard to know what this means in ISO noise until some one like dpreview really tests it. The problem with that is they use ACR noise reduction off but it seems it isn't. This didn't turn out to be much use on an E-M1 in some ways. It turned out that choma noise was relatively low. Dark noise more of a "problem" but easier to fix than the other. I'm not sure if the dpreview graphs showed this. Actually it handled my 25,600 ISO test after noise removal easily. Probably better than the E-M5.

I thought I saw a figure of 1 EV metering on the canon site. Doesn't make much sense if the focus can work to lower light levels. Not an areas I know anything about but the difference seems odd. Maybe they are saving that for the MK III. It seems it will use the central points for F8 as some Nikons do.

On pixel density and resolution Dan might find this interesting

http://www.lenstip.com/214.4-Lens_re...esolution.html

These graphs usually show the same thing. More pixels better figures wide open and a lot less difference at normal working apertures. The 1Ds FF advantage is that it can collect more lp/mm if the image fills the sensor by the same amount as on crop which is worth a lot more in terms of resolution. I can't help wondering if these high wide openish figures are a "feature" of this type of test as I don't think resolution chart tests would give the same results.

John
    -

This is the first time I've felt compelled (?) to upgrade my 30D.

I've watched too many XXD bodies come and go with little to entice me.

I'm not a "I need more DR" kind of guy - I'd like the crop with my 70-200 + 2X for birding. And the crop would suit my 100 macro much better than on my 5DII.

So it looks very interesting to me.

Glenn

Real Name
    Richard

Glenn,

I still own my 30D and 40D cameras as well as a pair of 7D bodies (which are my two main cameras). In my opinion, the 7D and even the 40D beats the heck out of a 30D in many, many ways. Now the 40D is a different animal. That is still a very viable camera. IMO, the 7D is a superior camera but the 40D is still a great old warhorse that is still running hard. My old 90mm Tamron f/2.8 AF SP Macro lens (which is the pre-Di model) interfaces better with the 40D than with my 7D cameras for some reason. I keep it set up for close-up and macro work. Neither the 30D nor the 40D are worth a lot on the used market so I don't feel bad keeping them for specialized work...

I use my 30D with a 40mm pancake lens as a carry-around camera to get grab shots of our rescue dogs and their new furever families at our dog rescue events. I keep this camera with our rescue event gear. My rationale for using the 30D and 40mm Pancake is that if it were stolen at an event, the loss would not be too great. I also occasionally loan out this rig to our volunteers with the hope that I can find someone who can shoot decent images. I bought the Pancake on-sale as a refurb (as an impulse buy) but, really don't love it to death... However, it is fine as a lens for the dog events since it is a bit wider than the 50mm which I once used...

"Perhaps" I may consider the 7Dii as a replacement for one of my 7D bodies after the "dust settles" and the 7Dii becomes available as a refurb. All my cameras have been purchased as refurbs and I am locked into buying refurb equipment!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th September 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I use my 30D with a 40mm pancake lens as a carry-around camera to get grab shots of our rescue dogs and their new furever families at our dog rescue events....
    One should also note that Canon announced a $150 EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens. It's pretty much the crop equivalent of the EF 40/2.8 STM (38mm equivalency) on full frame.

Real Name
    John

I have a 70D, which will share the same sensor as the new 7D . Does that also mean the same processor?
    I was a little disappointed with noise on my 70D, above 800, when compared to say the 6D.
    The 7d sounds superb though for wildlife at 10fps.And a fantastic array of focus point. I have 9 and use them all at some time.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

All my cameras have been purchased as refurbs and I am locked into buying refurb equipment
    Stellar idea my friend...that way they are individually checked prior to sale.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Stellar idea my friend...that way they are individually checked prior to sale.
    Both of the EOS DSLR cameras that I purchased new (10D and 350D) needed factory service within the first 90-days of use. They were fine after the trip to the service center but, in effect, I was shooting with refurbished cameras for which I had paid full new price...

When purchasing my 30D and later cameras (40D body and two 7D bodies), I decided to skip the, seemingly mandatory, step of buying new and sending to the service center by purchasing refurbished cameras. I have saved money and have purchased four cameras that never needed service after thousands upon thousands of exposures...

As a result of my experience, I have more confidence in the quality control at the Canon service centers than at the Canon assembly line!

Real Name
    John

I have always bought refurbished but have found a better option that is often a bit grey. New and a 3 year guarantee.

John
    -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast