Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need 4 speed ... choosing a max aperture for a new lens

Real Name
    Will

Need 4 speed ... choosing a max aperture for a new lens

Howdy all!!
    New here and kinda new to the digital world of photography and of course, the learning curb of it all!!
    I just purchased a new NIKON D3000 and what a camera it is!! It should be called the NIKON COMPUTER CAM. lol!! Heck, it does almost everything a software program for photo editing does on a PC or MAC. Almost eliminates the need for a puter. lol!
    Anyhow, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best 300mm lens a fella could purchase for this wonderful camera? I know it has to have the CPU pins as well as it must state "AF-S" on the lens. Nikon suggests that the F-stop must be 5.6 or faster. What would be "Faster"???
    Also wondering if the AF-S VRII lens is a right choice as well.
    Thanks to all who reply.
    Will

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Need 4 speed ...

Faster is smaller numbers, in f:stops. Thus f:4 is faster than f:5.6.

Keep in mind that the focal length of a lens, when used on a DX camera is 1.5 times that printed on the side of the lens. Thus my 200mm lens is effectively a 300mm when on my Nikon D40. Other cameras have different conversion factors and I haven't committed any but mine to memory.

Pops

Real Name
    John

Hello Will,

Welcome to the group.
    Your manual should have a list of compatible lenses that will get you through all of the AF-S, VR lingo. VR (vibration reduction)is a must for me, but not a necessity for some photographs. Cost will be a consideration when you choose what your friend called a fast lens. f-stops between 1.0 to 4.0 are considered fast lenses and is a reference to the aperture or opening of the lens, which controls how much light reaches the sensor. More information can be found in the tutorials. So, in answer to your question, research the lenses through the Nikon website, list the compatible lenses from your manual, compare the specifications of each lens you are considering and then check the tutorials for the pros and cons of using specific lenses.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalair63 View Post
    Howdy all!!
    New here and kinda new to the digital world of photography and of course, the learning curb of it all!!
    I just purchased a new NIKON D3000 and what a camera it is!! It should be called the NIKON COMPUTER CAM. lol!! Heck, it does almost everything a software program for photo editing does on a PC or MAC. Almost eliminates the need for a puter. lol!
    Anyhow, I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best 300mm lens a fella could purchase for this wonderful camera? I know it has to have the CPU pins as well as it must state "AF-S" on the lens. Nikon suggests that the F-stop must be 5.6 or faster. What would be "Faster"???
    Also wondering if the AF-S VRII lens is a right choice as well.
    Thanks to all who reply.
    Will

Real Name
    Ben

I suppose one of the best would be the Nikkor 300mm f/2.8. About $5,200. One store offers the lens cap for this lens for $40 .

Real Name
    Jeroen

Well that might be the best you can get, though I think it would benefit your images, and your photography in general, far more to look for a cheaper lens and go out shooting. Learning how to take a proper photograph gets you much further than just buying expensive gear, so that for me that would a goal to spend money on.

though that 300 f/2.8 doesn't lok wrong to me

The consumer grade zoom with a 300 mm is Nikon's AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR which will work on your camera. FYI, only AF-S lenses will work on the entry level cameras. Non AF-S lenses will work on your camera but you will need to focus manually since your camera lacks the AF engine. Note, because of the aperture of 4.5-5.6; this zoom is best used with plenty of available light. Faster apertures of 2.8 or lower is best for low light situations without flash, and for creative manipulation of DOF (depth of field). Super telephotos primes are expensive, even with f stops of 4 plus they're heavy. Not exactly something you want to hand hold all day without the use of a monopod or tripod with proper mounting gear.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Will

Lots of advice and guidance already here.

The one thing I didn't see in your post is - What do you want a 300mm lens for? That's going to be an important question to answer in deciding what lens you want. I don't know how much reading you've done about apertures (all the f numbers) and the relationship to shutter speeds and what all of this means for the depth-of-field (i.e. how much is in focus from front-to-back of your image).

Are the things you want to photograph going to be moving? If yes, will they be moving very quickly, quickly or slowly? Will the light always be bright when you're doing this, or could it be dull, overcast or even quite dark?

Answering these questions and understanding about apertures and shutter speeds, will be a huge help in letting you decide what you want (and how much you want to spend).
    Last edited by Donald; 9th April 2010 at 12:51 PM.