Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50D and Raw files

Real Name
    Chris

50D and Raw files

Hi Guys/Gals,

I recently upgraded to a 50D and noticed that when I shoot in RAW it doesn't open with Photoshop CS2. Can someone fill me in on a good work flow please?

Do I need to open with DPP, save as another type of file extension then convert it? That's just my quick guess but not 100% sure whether that's right? If so, what type of file extension do I save it to in DPP and how do I then convert it?

TIA,

Chris

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: 50D and Raw files

Quote Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
    Hi Guys/Gals,

I recently upgraded to a 50D and noticed that when I shoot in RAW it doesn't open with Photoshop CS2. Can someone fill me in on a good work flow please?

Do I need to open with DPP, save as another type of file extension then convert it? That's just my quick guess but not 100% sure whether that's right? If so, what type of file extension do I save it to in DPP and how do I then convert it?

TIA,

Chris
    Hi Chris,

The answer is easy - just pop along to www.adobe.com and download their free DNG converter to convert the RAW files to Adobe's universal RAW format - then you can open them in any version of CS (so long as you're running the latest versions of the plugins).

I convert ALL my images to DNG and then delete the original *.CR2 files - works like a charm (and you don't get those pesky sidecar files either!).
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 15th February 2011 at 03:50 AM.

Real Name
    Troy

if i remember correctly, you need an updated version of ACR (5.6) to open newer cr2 files, but each photoshop version has a limit as to how new your ACR version is. i believe you need CS4 to update to ACR 5.6. perhaps find a DNG converter?

edit: yea, like colin said, there seems to be a DNG converter provided by adobe

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Collin! Just like you said, "works like a charm".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by flipmode View Post
    Thanks Collin! Just like you said, "works like a charm".

Chris
    The bonus is that DNG files give you a saving of 20% disk space. Which on a 50D is about 3MB per file. That can't be bad, can it?

Real Name
    Troy

i've always wondered if the smaller size of DNG is lossless compresssion, or actually destroying data

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by pwnage101 View Post
    i've always wondered if the smaller size of DNG is lossless compresssion, or actually destroying data
    Hi Troy,

The original DNG specification (1.1.0.0 off memory) used to discard black-masked pixels which (arguably) had some small benefit in certain circumstances, but as far as I know, subsequent revisions are completely lossless. For what it's worth, I delete my CR2 files the moment they're converted to DNG (without hesitation) -- the only time it can bite you in the bum is if you want to open the files in something like DxO that (still) doesn't support DNG as an input file format.

Real Name
    Pops

For what it's worth, I delete my CR2 files the moment they're converted to DNG
    Out of curiosity, why don't you dump them to a CD?

Pops

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post

Pops
    There doesn't seem to be much point in that as far as I can see, unless as Colin said you need them for some other application. I too convert all mine to DNG then delete the CR2. To save further disk space I only keep recent DNG on my computer disk. All others are backed up onto two external hard drives, one I keep in the house, the other at a safe distant location.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post

Pops
    Hi Pops,

As Rob said - basically - no point. I just don't have a need for them. DNG is the same data, just re-organised into a standardised format, complete with manufacturers encrypted "secret sauce" data.

Real Name
    Isabelo

what's wrong in keeping the CR2 data?
    besides its the original file...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by belong View Post
    what's wrong in keeping the CR2 data?
    besides its the original file...
    Hi Isabelo,

Nothing "wrong" per sec - after all it's a free world, and people are free to do what they like All I'm saying is that CR2 files are of zero use to me; not "of little use" - ZERO use - so for me it's just silly to take the time and go to the expense of creating and storing something that will NEVER be used.

People need to keep in mind that DNG is still RAW - exactly the same data, just organised in a standardised way ... and ... you can enbed the original file into it (which can be extracted later) if you wish (I don't bother).

In my opinion, what would make more sense is if manufacturers gave DNG as an output file option (in fact, if I had the choice between having DNG and JPEG on my camera I'd go for DNG).

Real Name
    Troy

Colin, I believe Pentax DSLRs have that very capability

in some cases, wouldn't this help drain the buffer for better continuous drive?

Real Name

Colin, I believe Pentax DSLRs have that very capability
    I wish Canon would follow suit!

in some cases, wouldn't this help drain the buffer for better continuous drive?
    Who knows - Probably, due to the slightly smaller file size. Then again, the camera might not have the CPU power to make a tight DNG compression. I seldom have a problem with buffer over-flow to be honest; my camera will do up to 12 RAW (and I can configure the fps from anywhere between 1 to 5, on either of 2 drive modes) - and if I need more then there's always (I can't believe I'm about to say this) JPEG.

Real Name
    Troy

well, i'd like to have more than 6 raw for my nikon d80 anyway

Real Name

well, i'd like to have more than 6 raw for my nikon d80 anyway
    Are you another one who likes to shoot a full length feature movie on their SLR

Real Name
    Isabelo

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Isabelo,

People need to keep in mind that DNG is still RAW - exactly the same data, just organised in a standardised way ... and ... you can enbed the original file into it (which can be extracted later) if you wish (I don't bother).

In my opinion, what would make more sense is if manufacturers gave DNG as an output file option (in fact, if I had the choice between having DNG and JPEG on my camera I'd go for DNG).
    thanks collin, i thought dng is another file compression...
    i tried a while ago converting cr2 to dng then going to cs3 and i found out that it is more powerful and flexible working in cs3 with raw files.
    and yes your correct that once the cr2 converted in dng, it is zero use anymore...
    thanks a lot...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by belong View Post
    thanks collin, i thought dng is another file compression...
    i tried a while ago converting cr2 to dng then going to cs3 and i found out that it is more powerful and flexible working in cs3 with raw files.
    and yes your correct that once the cr2 converted in dng, it is zero use anymore...
    thanks a lot...
    No worries - we're here to help

Real Name
    Chris

Oh, I just noticed something. I can't seem to view the dng files in zoombrowser. How does that work now?

I no longer use Zoom, but I think you need the correct RAW codec to view them. Can't remember if it's Adobe or Canon. It's about time they sorted this business out - everyone gets confused over this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast