Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overwhelmed

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Re: Overwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Kodiak, Nicely done, thanks for the suggestions and edit. I see you've increased the blacks, added additional detail, increased the overall exposure a bit, and increased sharpness. The color version has more intense primary colors and increased exposure. Let me know if I missed anything?
    Do you really think your shot was that bad?
    So much was not done… I was not gonna work so hard so late!

Histogram & WB… that's all there was…

Real Name
    Greg

Kodiak,

Nicely done, thanks for the suggestions and edit. I see you've increased the blacks, added additional detail, increased the overall exposure a bit, and increased sharpness. The color version has more intense primary colors and increased exposure. Let me know if I missed anything? Thanks again.

John
    I think Kodiak has demonstrated the first rule of converting an image to mono: make it the best it can be in colour before converting.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I too like the colour version better but I seem to think that the face of the woman kneeling seems to me a bit flat (must be her makeup) and Kodiak's edit made the B/W rendition so much better. Nevertheless, the I like both the shots for what it is.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Do you really think your shot was that bad?
    So much was not done… I was not gonna work so hard so late!

Histogram & WB… that's all there was…
    Not that bad, my initial edit of the color version involved toning down the highlights and I left the blacks alone during the RAW edit, I did a tonal curves adjustment prior to converting, my main concern with the original image was reducing the noise as I used a slightly high ISO of 1250. I was very conservative with my editing as my images seem to lose detail after noise reduction.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    I too like the colour version better but I seem to think that the face of the woman kneeling seems to me a bit flat (must be her makeup) and Kodiak's edit made the B/W rendition so much better. Nevertheless, the I like both the shots for what it is.
    Hi Izzie,

Thanks for the comments, did you perceive flatness in the color or B & W or both?

Real Name
    Travis

B&W for me John. I think you nailed it. Great shot

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Hi Izzie,

Thanks for the comments, did you perceive flatness in the color or B & W or both?
    In the face of the woman in the coloured version, mate...I do not know why it just isn't right to my eyes. But then I may be wrong...because I am using my I-refused-to-calibrate laptop monitor to view your images (and others) here. Black and white is much OK...this is one instance I really like the colour but the edit of Kodiak made it look much better in B/W.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by travis4567 View Post
    B&W for me John. I think you nailed it. Great shot
    Thanks Travis.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    In the face of the woman in the coloured version, mate...I do not know why it just isn't right to my eyes. But then I may be wrong...because I am using my I-refused-to-calibrate laptop monitor to view your images (and others) here. Black and white is much OK...this is one instance I really like the colour but the edit of Kodiak made it look much better in B/W.
    Izzie,

Thanks for the follow up.

Real Name
    Philip

Would simplifying the image, by applying a tighter crop, make the story clearer?

Overwhelmed

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Would simplifying the image, by applying a tighter crop, make the story clearer?
    Hi Phillip,

You got a point there… but I think the suggested crop is too severe: framing
    tighter the right and the bottom of the shot would be enough. What do you say?

Real Name
    John

Overwhelmed

Cheers.
    Philip
    Philip,

Technically yes, but by removing the girl at upper left reduces how emotions can be shared by others.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Hi Phillip,

You got a point there… but I think the suggested crop is too severe: framing
    tighter the right and the bottom of the shot would be enough. What do you say?
    The focus of our attention suggested by the title is the little girl being comforted. In my view, the girl and woman on the extreme left might well be concerned, but the impact of their concern in this image is lessened because they are not looking directly at the subject, and so they are a distraction. Therefore, for me, this is a good example of the principle of "less is more".

Cheers.
    Philip

Real Name
    John

The focus of our attention suggested by the title is the little girl being comforted. In my view, the girl and woman on the extreme left might well be concerned, but the impact of their concern in this image is lessened because they are not looking directly at the subject, and so they are a distraction. Therefore, for me, this is a good example of the principle of "less is more".

Cheers.
    Philip
    Hi Philip,

Perhaps she isn't looking directly at the little girl, however people do sometimes turn away from situations and scenes that disturb them. It often fine to have a bit of a distraction as long as the gaze is returned to the intended subject.

Real Name

+1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12