Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Bags

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Camera Bags

John you might want to take a look at the Lowepro Urban Reporter 250, the padded in sleeve also has a fold over flap to add some extra protection. I received on as a price, use it as a walk around bag with a D600 with a 24-70mm and a flash. You can be assured that nothing will be waterproof and also allow ease of use.

Cheers: Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Notice that the website doesn't clarify what the Tamrac System 2 bags are made of. It only says that "most" of the 5000 series bags are made of the Polytek which provides "superior weatherproofing," not PowerGrid Cordura. Similarly, I own a Velocity 9X bag that is also a 5000 series bag and I can confirm from experience that it is not waterproof.

Aside from that, I don't trust Tamrac's marketing even though I like my bag a lot. They used to (and perhaps still) advertise their sling bags that you could go from having the bag closed on your back, slung around to your front, opened and the camera ready to shoot in something like 5 seconds. I believe it flat-out can't be done and that if it could be done they would have produced a video of someone doing it. So, I'm skeptical of their term, "weatherproof," and which bags are made of the so-called weatherproof material.

Real Name
    John

The ortlieb one can be totally immersed in water. The IP rating should mean 30min but they seem to have cut it to 3min. This is way way past the IP3 rating which is what is really needed rain etc 60 degree angle in any direction.

Personally I would spray the outside of the bag with a scotch guard type substance being careful to avoid breathing the fumes rather than use silicones. From being around in the electronics industry I strongly suspect it evaporates and settles on things.

Not much luck looking yet really. There is an Adventure Message bag about made of PVC tarpaulin that is sizeable but I wouldn't want to buy it blind. Timbuk2 looked interesting but they stop making the shoulder bags part way up the sizes. There is also a semi roll top messenger bag made for bike use but it has to be worn across the back which seems a bit odd once people have got off their bike.

Billingham have nice sizes, expensive and due to how they zip up wont be that easy to use camera in and out of the bag style. There headquarters aren't far from me but I doubt if they have a discount factory shop.

Maybe decent bags aren't available as pro's and others use waterproof kit so no need to worry about water swimming about in a bag.

John
    -

Real Name
    John

Wish me luck. I've gone for a Billingham. Used and not a current design. It's a bit bigger than the 225 but only has the one rear pocket and 2 small ones on the front. Handy after a fashion as the only similar bag now seems to be getting on for £500. I don't really want the extra full width front pocket that most have as it just adds to the bulk.

The current owner tells me they use 2 layers of canvas with a water proof layer in between. Well photographed and the leather straps shows obvious signs of use but the rest looks in very good condition.

I'll have to get a trilby hat with a feather and long woollen socks and corduroy trousers to go with it. Or maybe a deer stalker would be better ? but I wear tee shirts in the summer.

John
    -

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I'll have to get a trilby hat with a feather and long woollen socks and corduroy trousers to go with it.
    Your photos don't have a chance of being worth viewing unless you're also smoking a stylish pipe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12