Thread: Any Hope

Real Name
    colin

Any Hope

An image sooc (RAW).
    Something tells me not to bin it, I have no idea why but perhaps you guys can help.
    I have left myself wide open, you can shoot me down in flames if wish.
    Cheers Colin.
    Any Hope

Real Name
    John

Re: Any Hope

Lot's of possibility, well worth a reshoot. Any reason why you composed as you did, why the severe crop at top, was there something in particular included on the sides that you wanted as an added element?

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Doorway to heaven is the first thing that came to mind. Remove those distractions at the right and that rubbish bin at the left and it will be fine...just a suggestion. Keep it simple...

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

Colin,

at the risk of being less helpful than others: I'd discard it. The image has a cut upper part, is static, the closed door looks uninviting, the light is uninteresting, nothing really in the background. I suppose you can do better.

Lukas

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Square everything up using perspective adjust, lens adjust or one of the distort options depending on software and preference. Then crop very tightly to the very front façade of the church and the lead in path.(portrait) Make it into a strong symmetrical design and consider converting to B&W. Increase contrast and sharpen.

If it does not work for you try something else....

One of the hardest things I learned in photography (and that's in film days where every frame cost something) was to discard some frames.

There isn't a great photographer in the world that doesn't bin his mistakes.

Glenn

Try a square crop (probably 4 x 5 is too tight) and increase midtones slightly. Possibly a little extra saturation, or maybe Local Contrast Enhancement etc?

It's not horizontal

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    ...crop very tightly to the very front façade of the church and the lead in path.(portrait) Make it into a strong symmetrical design and consider converting to B&W. Increase contrast and sharpen....
    Or re-shoot with the above image in mind from the start. I frequently come away from a location and upon editing realize that I missed the mark and have a hundred ideas of what to do differenly "next time". If you have the luxury of returning to the location you can toy around with this image to figure out how to do better next time when you go back. No harm, no foul...

Real Name
    colin

Thanks everyone. I can return to the scene of the crime at any time.
    My thinking was I wanted to feature the doors and the stone with the date above.
    Once again thanks for your interest.
    Colin.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by GEORDIE View Post
    Thanks everyone. I can return to the scene of the crime at any time.
    My thinking was I wanted to feature the doors and the stone with the date above.
    Hi Colin,

Then go back and do it better

Being more helpful; try around an hour or so earlier in the day, that way, the sun's rays, which (at the time of this shot), have just cast 'this' side of the building in shadow, would be striking the stonework at a glancing angle and highlight the texture.

Having said that, you're in the southern hemisphere (and I've never been there), so perhaps things work backwards and I mean an hour later!?!?!

Anyway, you get the idea I hope.

HTH, Dave

Real Name
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lundberg View Post
    It's not horizontal
    As our Bill might have said: "it all depends on what the meaning of 'it' is . . "

Real Name
    Carol

The first thing that bothers me, is where you cut off the top of the building. To me, it would look better if it was cut off just after the "line" before the second part of the building starts. The sides could use a little cropping also, but the cut off of the building "glared" at me.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

I remember your previous thread with the same building. The best view to me would be close up like this one but including the tower, but that would require either a wider angle lens or vertical stitching.

People are going to comment on it not being straight no matter what you do. The problem is that the building itself is not straight. Lines which are supposed to be horizontal are not even parallel and the path in front is not horizontal. Therefore I would not worry unduly about that.

As Dave says, trying at another time of day might be better, with the light on the front. If the building is facing more or less south, that might mean earlier in the day.