Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Vario Elmar 14 -50mm f3.5-5.6

Real Name
    John Osterholm

Vario Elmar 14 -50mm f3.5-5.6

I am considering this lens for my matching Lumix L10 body and I see the price for a new lens goes between about $700 to over $1,000 and I would like to know what the difference might be. The lowest price lenses are mostly direct from Japan.
    Thanks

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Vario Elmar 14 -50mm f3.5-5.6

John - I'm just guessing here, but you are looking at a fairly expensive (Panasonic built, but Leica branded) four-thirds (as opposed to micro four-thirds) lens to put on a 7-year old camera body. I believe it was the kit lens that was actually bundled with the L10, when it first came out.

These are going to be used lenses as they have been out of production for quite some time, so you are seeing people asking what they think the market will bear. The difference in price will likely to some extent reflect the condition of the lens.

I personally would be fairly careful in buying a used lens, sight unseen, unless it was from a reputable dealer with a generous (i.e. no questions asked) return policy. That way your maximum exposure will be shipping costs and any import taxes and duties.

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hektor View Post
    I am considering this lens for my matching Lumix L10 body and I see the price for a new lens goes between about $700 to over $1,000 and I would like to know what the difference might be. The lowest price lenses are mostly direct from Japan.
    Thanks
    variation may also be due to condition...... there is a premium for mint over some that are sold as "as seen".....

in the UK I found the 14-50 f3.5-5.6 described as new from a reputatable dealer (I've used them) for £550. and the f2.8-3.5 version for £850.

personally I don't see the point in spending that much on a lens to mate with sensor that is way out of date....... unless you have a set of 4/3 lenses?

Real Name
    John Osterholm

Thanks for both replies. The big problem was that I failed to do the research before I invested in 4/3 equipment. I did not know that although the 14-50 Vario Elmarit will mount on the L10, it does not get to use all the features of that body. That lens is quite good (in my opinion) and it does function fairly well on the GX1 although a bit slow to autofocus. So...I have a very nice L10 body and I can either sell it or buy the lesser Vario Elmar lens. Not sure if that is all that bright of an idea but if I found a Vario Elmar lens for a reasonable price I might buy it.