Thread: Oh, no! Another backpack thread!

Real Name
    Dan

Oh, no! Another backpack thread!

I've seen so many questions posted about photo backpacks that I am reluctant to bother people with another, but I can't find what I am looking for, and I am hoping someone can suggest something.

Backacks are very personal--different people want very different things. Here is my list:

-- It has to have good straps and a comfortable back. I hike up mountains with it. I'm not looking for anything like a sling pack, etc., that many people use in urban settings.
    -- It has to hold a 5DIII, a few extra lenses (up to a 70-200), and the usual odds and ends.
    -- It has to have a good, central tripod attachment system
    -- It should be waterproof or have a removable rain cover. (I can be hours away from a car when the rain starts.)
    -- It should have at least one external side pocket for a water bottle.
    -- It should have a second, separate compartment for things you don't want mixed up with lenses, like peanut butter sandwiches, bug repellent, and the odd peach. This seems to be the hardest of these criteria to meet.
    -- It should have a way to attach a rain jacket or extra shirt on the outside.
    -- I don't need a computer pocket and would prefer to be without one if it makes the back less comfortable.

I currently own a no-longer-produced LowePro, a Primus AW, that meets every single one of these criteria except for the second. It was just fine when I carried a 50D, with mostly smaller lenses. It just doesn't quite make it for the larger equipment. Some time ago, a friend who also had switched to FF said to me that he thought my Primus was the best backpack he had ever seen, but he couldn't find anything similar. Then I looked for something similar but a bit larger, and I couldn't find one either. I wrote LowePro, and they steered me to things that seem to lack at least one of these features.

I also have a Tamrac Adventure 9, which I use around town. It is a bit more capacious, and it has all of the features save two: no good way to hold a tripod, and a back that is somewhat uncomfortable for long hikes because of a computer pocket in the back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Oh, no! Another backpack thread!

I have never found a camera backpack that holds my heavy tripod properly. Given up looking....

Real Name
    David

The backpack that I have found meets your criteria is the Lowepro Rover 45 aw.

http://store.lowepro.com/rover-pro-45l-aw

Getting into the camera compartment is a little slow, but it works.
    Look into it.

Earlier this year, I went to the Lowepro Vertex 200 as a replacement for my old Mini Trekker.

Very comfortable and well padded, once you adjust all the straps to suit your personal dimensions.

Spacious main compartment. Many small pockets etc. Second compartment is designed chiefly for a laptop which possibly makes it a bit tight for a day's supply of food but quite sufficient for snacks and other photo bits, like WB grey card etc.

Three tripod mounting positions, although my casual light use tripod folds up small enough to fit inside. After a lot of trial and change I eventually decided that my main Manfrotto tripod was most comfortable on one of the side positions.

But lacks the external water bottle carrier. Might be possibly to attach to one of the spare tripod spaces? Personally, I don't want my water exposed directly to the sun so I keep a tightly capped bottle in the second inside compartment.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Earlier this year, I went to the Lowepro Vertex 200 as a replacement for my old Mini Trekker.
    That's my weapon of choice. The thing about it is its adaptability. With the Slip-Lock system, you can add various pouches. I have two large side pouches, one of which could easily accommodate water bottles, food stuffs etc. I have the flash gear in one of mine and all the filters in the other.

EDIT - Should have added. My Manfrotto X55PRO tripod sits wonderfully in the holster and I can walk any distance with it sitting there.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th August 2014 at 08:51 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Clik Elite Contrejour 40 Backpack (Black) Found this on the BH website and looks interesting. Anyone got one?

P.S. MindShift Gear rotation180° Professional Backpack this one looks pretty good as well.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 30th August 2014 at 10:44 PM.

Real Name
    ilmari

Have the Lowepro dryzone 200 and really satisfied with it, ought to fill your needs. Have in it D800 D300 70-200 500 reflex 105 macro 27-70 tc-17 flash and cables batteries etc in it. Extra clothing ipad camranger etc. Gitzo tripod with manfrotto three way head. Easy to adjust for fitting for your own back. Check it out.