Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Blue Herons

Real Name
    Steve

Blue Herons

A couple new heron shots. Trying a few diff. things . This time i shot at iso 800 to get my shutter speeds up. I use to be afraid of the iso button, not anymore

Blue Herons

Blue Herons

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Blue Herons

A very good brace of shots Steve, well done,

Excellent, Steve. Marvellous vibrancy/colour. #1 is a very pleasing composition. I wouldn't worry about the ISO800 on the 40D. The 50D - that's another matter.

Yes you can sometimes get a bit of noise in the shadows with ISO 800 but I prefer to risk that instead of getting the shutter speed too low.

You have achieved good exposure there, despite a tricky background.

Both are just fantastic!

Just remember, the ISO button is your friend!

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks guy's, iso is my friend from now on. What do you think of this one....................iso 1250>1/50s>840mm>f/11 , shot with monopod. (i had to shoot 8 shots to get one good one)

Blue Herons

Nice performance for ISO 800! I have a 40D too, ISO 400 is usually the craziest thing I do
    I like #3 best - nice pose and eye contact, the bird looks very sweet. Beautifully separated background. I'd just sharpen it a little more. In #1 I love the majestic pose, but I find it distracting that the back of the heron is tack sharp, and not necessarily his head - his eye is almost blurred Hehehe how picky I am, I should try flying birds myself!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by agaace View Post
    Nice performance for ISO 800! I have a 40D too, ISO 400 is usually the craziest thing I do
    I like #3 best - nice pose and eye contact, the bird looks very sweet. Beautifully separated background. I'd just sharpen it a little more. In #1 I love the majestic pose, but I find it distracting that the back of the heron is tack sharp, and not necessarily his head - his eye is almost blurred Hehehe how picky I am, I should try flying birds myself!
    The last one was iso 1250. The first 2 images are just average shots, i just wanted to see what the higher iso would do. I much prefer iso 400 or less, but you really need shutter speeds of around 1500 or so to freeze everything. When tracking these guy's, some times you lag behind and you will focus on the body instead of the head. You also have to find time to hit the exposure lock or you will often expose for the background instead of the heron. It is very fast paced, but alot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Thanks guy's, iso is my friend from now on. What do you think of this one....................iso 1250>1/50s>840mm>f/11 , shot with monopod. (i had to shoot 8 shots to get one good one)

Blue Herons
    I like this one very much. Great colours and composition. I don't shoot birds so I'm no expert, but could you have reduced the aperture from f/11 to say f8 to get a faster speed than 1/50s? I only say this as you have concerns regards the shutter speed.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    I like this one very much. Great colours and composition. I don't shoot birds so I'm no expert, but could you have reduced the aperture from f/11 to say f8 to get a faster speed than 1/50s? I only say this as you have concerns regards the shutter speed.
    Hi rob, this was my last few shots for the evening. I had both TC's on and had to shoot f/11 or smaller. I was already at iso 1250 and i just wanted to see if i could get the shot. Kind of a test if you will. I'm very impressed with the results. Soon the young will hatch and i want some close-up still shots. (840mm at f/11 off a monopod and manual focus should work with acceptable results.)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    ~ I was already at iso 1250 and i just wanted to see if i could get the shot. Kind of a test if you will. I'm very impressed with the results. ~
    Indeed Steve,

Upon my initial viewing of #3 on this page, or even within the lytebox, I tended to agree with Agata about needing a little more sharpening, but then I viewed the file in it's own jpg browser window, clicked the image to let the excess height overflow; giving me scroll bars - when viewed like that; I think the sharpening is just right.

A brilliant shot to end the day, beautiful composition and colours.

I tend to shoot birds with the same premise, shoot lots and get a good one, the problem is being ruthless and deleting the other 7, because 2 or 3 may be almost as good, but the reality is, they're unlikely to ever be used because so similar to the main 'keeper' shot. Only reason I can think of is to be able to enter in a competition where the rules state "previously unpublished" and then those 'also rans' may be useful, especially if the difference was very minor to the best one and still gives you a good chance of winning.

I'm rambling, sorry, I'll shut up

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks ramblin man Stuff that is dup. will get deleted after i find the best one.