Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Exposure Fusion v Generate HDR

Real Name
    Derek

Exposure Fusion v Generate HDR

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I am curious to know your feelings on using exposure fusion as opposed to Generate HDR image in Photomatix's.I have been playing around with both options and find exposure fusions give images which are noise free compared to the generate HDR.
    I also feel the images are more realistic. Processing in Topaz Adjust afterwards can be used to obtain the over done look if required.

My own feelings are that I will now probably use exposure fusion more due to the lack of image noise.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Derek.
    Last edited by Degsy; 4th April 2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling useless

Real Name
    Derek

Re: Exposure Fusion v Generate HDR

If this doesn't make sense at least post that. I would really appreciated some comments about this.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    If this doesn't make sense at least post that. I would really appreciated some comments about this.
    Sorry Derek - it's possibly something that nobody is using here.

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Derek
    A friend of a friend gave a description of what I think you might be referring to....
    I have copied his info below for you - I am very new to photoshop myself & got quite frustrated trying this
    - to the point where I shut down the computer & went out with the camera - much more fun, for me anyway
    But here it is - if I am totally off the track - then sorry to have stepped in...this is what happens when you have 2 monitors running - you keep an eye on 2 many things
    If this is what you mean, let me know & I will give you the name/site where his work is featured.

"I thought I’d share a quick way to blend exposures.
    Nothing at all to do with HDR, but more about achieving a more balanced looking image, exposure wise.

First off, you will need to bring into Photoshop 2 images shot at least one stop apart via your camera, or RAW processed will do too.
    Then, just drag the lighter of the two images on to the darker one, making sure it is stacked perfectly.
    Ok, now just go to the top menu and do
    1. Select>Color Range and select Highlights from the drop-down.
    2. Put a tick in the ‘invert’ box and click ok.
    3. Add a Layer Mask, and then click on the Layer Mask to make it active.
    4. Go up to Filter>Blur> Gaussian Blur 250pxls and click ok.
    Choose Flatten from the Layer menu up top.
    You’re done.
    Adjust Levels/Curves to taste if you want."

Real Name
    Derek

Wilgk

I am referring to the use of Photomatix's. There are 2 ways in Photomatix's to merge the images. The most popular is using the generate HDR and then tonemapping the resultant image. The problem with this is it can create an image with a high level of noise.

Exposure fusion is another way of combining the separate images in Photomatix's to create a tiff with an enhanced range of exposure.
    This image can then be tonemapped in Photomatix's or taken into Photoshop for further processing. The advantage (in my opinion) is the generated image has much less too no noise.

I was just curious as to the opinions of other user who may have used this option in Photomatix's. If very few have used it I would recommend that you give it a try. The only difference is the individual images will have to be converted to tiffs as exposure fusion does not work with RAW.

Regards
    Derek.

Degsy,

I have been playing with Photomatix, but really only the HDR processing so far so I can't comment yet. However, your post has made me curious, so I will dig deeper into the Exposure Fusion processing and hopefully have something useful to offer in the near term.

Real Name
    Tim

I’ve used both methods in Photomatix and found that results are dependant on the input image content; sometimes one method is best, sometimes it’s the other.

EDIT: BTW I’m talking about making realistic images with expanded dynamics, not those vastly over processed things some people make.

hi, i have used photomax and photoshop merge to HDR and and not really happy with either. I started of HDR manually and still feel that this method gives the most control, lest noise and still retains maximum tonality. The starting images are way important, vis one must have the right subject and light, but other that that i would recommend doing it manaully in Photoshop using 32bit , then tweaking levels and saturation and only then going to a 16bit to do filters and the like. hope this help and gives you courage to go it on your own. rgds paul