Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can I see the focus point on playback

Real Name
    Adrian

Can I see the focus point on playback

We went on a course this weekend with an experienced wildlife photographer (much published). He was using a Nikon D4 and when he had taken a shot, he could see on his camera back screen exactly where the focus point was in the image he had just taken. I think it illuminated as a red rectangle.

We were using a Canon 5DIII and 70D and can find no way of locating this information on these cameras. Is it possible?

I know that in Aperture (Apple) I can display the focus point, so it must be embedded in the metadata, but I can see no way of doing this on camera or in Lightroom or photoshop.

Google searches have drawn a blank, but this may be that I am using incorrect search terminology.

Adrian

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Can I see the focus point on playback

Oh Adrian...I wish you got the answer to your question too but I can help bump this post up ...

Real Name
    Dan

I shoot Nikon and it is one of the custom settings in the playback menu. I suppose Canon has similar settings.

Real Name
    Dan

I have never handled a 70D, but on the 5D Mark III, this function is in the blue menu section, the one flagged with a sideways triangle. It is the second item down in the third menu in that set.

Real Name
    Adrian

Dan. Thank you! I have no idea how I managed to miss that, but I did.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    We were using a Canon 5DIII and 70D and can find no way of locating this information on these cameras. Is it possible?

I know that in Aperture (Apple) I can display the focus point, so it must be embedded in the metadata, but I can see no way of doing this on camera or in Lightroom or photoshop.

Adrian
    Yes you can do it on Canon cameras (I have it on my 5DII and 30D). And you have the answer from Dan..

No you cannot see the focus point(s) in LR - I checked on the LR forum earlier this month:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/showt...f-Focus-Points

But they can be seen in DPP.

Glenn