Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dell U2413 24" LED Backlit IPS Monitor and Dell U2412M UltraSharp 24" LED Monitor

Real Name
    Nick

Re: Dell U2413 24" LED Backlit IPS Monitor and Dell U2412M UltraSharp 24" LED Monitor

I appreciate everyone's time and expertise nicely shared to help me decide. I have a fine monitor now. Well, it's still sitting on it's face ready to get hooked up, (but almost there I hope ! ) but have found your last post interesting. I find red to be a difficult color in digital. My camera fades it to orange, and in editing it's hard to keep it from getting blotchy? How does this relate to monitors and color spaces?
    Last edited by Nicks Pics; 19th September 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: * I have a fine monitor now.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Dell U2413 24" LED Backlit IPS Monitor and Dell U2412M UltraSharp 24" LED Monitor

When it comes to monitors I am afraid I am rather fussy so I only use EIZO

Real Name
    Marius

All the comments on this thread had me reading for a while and I finally ordered the Dell U2413 today. As some comments on the thread indicate their are better monitors available at VASTLY higher prices. I think the U2413 is more than good enough for my hobby needs.

Regards

Marius

Real Name
    John

Good decision Marius. The only sad thing about Dell now is that they seem to have stopped using 8 bit panels on their better quality sRGB only monitors. That mean people might be better of getting aRGB capable monitors even when they don't need them.

On the other hand I have a thing about specs like 6+2 and even 8+2 on monitors as when they have done this sort of thing in the past I am aware of it. Once bitten etc.

John
    -

Real Name
    Nick

All the comments on this thread had me reading for a while and I finally ordered the Dell U2413 today. As some comments on the thread indicate their are better monitors available at VASTLY higher prices. I think the U2413 is more than good enough for my hobby needs.
    I'm glad to hear that the time and knowledge shared by contributers to this thread have helped more than one person choose a monitor. And that maybe I helped you narrow your choice down to a couple of good options for their price Wish you well with it!

I'm finally ready to start matching print to screen with my U2413, after a series of unrelated techno mishaps.
    But first I researched all the deconvolution apps out there. I've had Focus Magic for a long time and have been quite happy with it. Their site is informative and useful. I have Topaz InFocus, but have not used it. I bought Smart Deblur and tried it, but I obviously have a learning curve problem with its Auto mode because it was ghastly. The Lightroom Detail slider goes from Unsharp Mask to deconvolution as you slide to the right, but I have not tried it yet. Blurity is way too expensive for me, although its technology seems worthwhile. I bought AKVIS Refocus and need to try it. Back In Focus I will probably buy after a trial. Unshake died with the advent of the Intel Mac, but it might work in Win XP in my Fusion. I dl Imagemagick and BiaQim, but they are command line, so I may never get around to them. Just thought I'd list my findings FYI. It does appear that a fairly simple deconvo using a gaussian Point Spread Function is plenty good enough for digital cameras. i collected a lot of research and at least one of them makes that case.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Marius in Afrika View Post

Regards

Marius
    Actually even if you buy a top end Eizo it's some what doubtful that they will be any better in practical terms other than maybe having profiling and calibration built in. They might use 10 bit panels in some which may be better on aRGB. Apart from that what counts on a monitor is the results of calibrating and profiling. Many monitors apart from Dell will give colour accuracy that is reckoned to be below the limits of human perception. I some time suspect spec's are more what can be achieved orientated really.

John
    -

I printed the Printer Evaluation Test Image_ProPhoto.tiff (something like that, you can google it) from Photoshop using PS manages colors on matte with perceptual from my six ink Epson, and it's as close to my monitor as I'll ever need.

Real Name
    John

There are a couple of sources of cards for printer and camera profiling here if anyone feels the need

http://www.targets.coloraid.de/

http://www.silverfast.com/show/it8-targets/en.html

There isn't much gui help for using Argyll for this other than this one which at least saves using the command line

http://www.digifab.com/ArgyllCMSGUI/

Typical usage information is available here but for display calibration and profiling it easier to use DispCalGui.

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html

Printers are calibrated by calibrating a scanner against a test card first.

John
    -

Real Name
    Allan Short

John could you please explain your last line, Printers are calibrated by calibrating a scanner against a test card first.", as this does not make any sense to me.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

A known test card is scanned to "calibrate" it's response. A print of the same type of card is produced and then scanned. The errors associated with the scanner can then be corrected.

There is a run down of how it's done here. It can also be done with a camera.

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PP1

This documentation may be out of date. More info may be around on the site.

There are comments on the web about "currently not supporting more colours than cmyk" that seems to cause some confusion but as the above points out rgb is passed to a printer and it then uses some combination of any number of different coloured inks to print them.

John
    -
    Last edited by ajohnw; 25th September 2014 at 06:34 PM.

Real Name
    Marius

Hello members

Today I received my U2413 monitor. Although this is my first ever privately owned external monitor I do have an external monitor a work. The only other "monitors" which I own are my Sony Bravia televisions sets. The "feel" of the physical screen adjustments and those of the menu buttons leaves me with good impressions. This is obvious not just another "as cheap and nasty as possible" product from that country that nowadays produces virtually every thing.

My pc is a HP Pavilion 15 e067si notebook with a AMD Radeon HD 8670M (2 Gb DDR 3 dedicated) video graphics card. The resolution set via Windows 8.1 is 1920 x 1200 and all seems fine. I will play with the monitor setting as time goes on to find the most suitable settings for my personal taste in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. I will consider calibrating the monitor at a later stage, when I have the finances available for a calibration device.

My question; Should I mess around with the standard Windows 8.1 drivers? Will this improve anything at all, or should I leave functioning drivers well alone.

Regards

Marius

Real Name
    Allan Short

Marius I would leave well enough alone at this time. If you have read a number of articles on what you want to do, know how to get back to the beginning where you started, before you messed up sure go for it, If not just as well to leave alone.
    As for calibrating the monitor and applying the profile, the colorMunki Smile, or Spyder 4, would be good, if you only want to view on screen or sent out 8-bit jpegs to a printer. If you are wanting to print your self on a inkjet printer than something else again is needed but we'll save that for a later date. Enjoy the new monitor.

Cheers: Allan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234