Thread: I automatically save my RAW images

Real Name
    Richard

I automatically save my RAW images

When I open my RAW images from the camera in Adobe Bridge, I automatically save all of the images to a very large external hard drive (Seagate Expansion Drive N) using the "save copies to" checkbox on the menu...

I automatically save my RAW images

Then after I delete all of the trash (yep - I have been known shoot a bit of trash occasionally!) I will save the selected RAW images to yet another hard drive... Then I save my edited master images as PSD files and save my images for the Internet as 72ppi JPEG's in other location. Finally, I post some of my selected images to smugmug.com.

That means that I have three copies of my non-trash RAW images as well as a copy of each master image and a copy of each image I will use for the Internet and additionally the smugmug images to which I can link.

I have just opened a Flicker account because one very important organization which will provide us grants for the vet care of some of our rescue dogs wants pictures of the progress of each dog they provide help for as a separate gallery on Flicker.

Saving my RAW images when opening the camera files saved my bacon last night. I had covered my Maltese Rescue California benefit concert and needed a selection of images for our website and for our FaceBook page. Being tired and in a lot of pain from the long hours of setting up, shooting the concert and then breaking down our exhibits; I was not paying attention to what I was doing. Somehow, I deleted the folder with the original images from my hard drive. Don't ask me how or why I did it, I was just tired, in pain and in a hurry (a deadly combination).

The RAW image copies that I had saved to my Seagate Expansion Drive (N) saved my bacon and my reputation as a photographer. I don't think that you can save images in too many places. They might just save your bacon also!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I automatically save my RAW images

A salutary lesson, Richard and a good reminder for many of us.

Real Name
    Dan

Yes thanks for the reminder. Last week in a similar state of mind as you describe, I also ran into a situation where I feared I had deleted master copies but without any backup. Luckily I had not yet re-formatted the card that the masters were on. It's a good reminder to us all to have a good workflow figured out and stick to it. And have one worked out for traveling too if any resultant images are important.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A salutary lesson, Richard and a good reminder for many of us.
    Actually, I learned a better lesson than I would have if the images had been lost. It is as easy to learn from something you have done right than from something you have done wrong. AND IT IS OFTEN A LOT LESS PAINFUL!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Actually, I learned a better lesson than I would have if the images had been lost. It is as easy to learn from something you have done right than from something you have done wrong. AND IT IS OFTEN A LOT LESS PAINFUL!
    Hear...hear...

I do the same thing similar to Dan -- I have a travel drive and always connected to my laptop when it is on. Just one terabyte but it helps a lot when TSHTF happens. I seldom lost any image through thoughtfulness is a lie I have built in my brain since my last "accident/s"...

Real Name
    Dan

My drill is different but has the same effect:
    1. Upload to LR
    2. If time, cull
    3. Back up to an external drive. I have a sync program set up for this.
    4. Only after #3, format the card. The card is may backup until after #3.

Meanwhile, Crashplan has already started my second backup.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm also someone who always backs up; but again, my workflow is different as well and I backup to a RAID device, rather than an ordinary external drive to provide additional protection against hard drive failure (yes it has happened).

I use a chronological scheme for run of the mill images and have a event related scheme for "important" events; like trips, family events, etc.