Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one type of macro rig

Real Name
    Dan

one type of macro rig

Izzie asked that I explain the rig I use for bugs, so I am posting pictures and and explanation here for anyone who is interested. There are lots of different ways to do this, but some of the principles are the same regardless.

This is what I use for magnification from somewhat less than 1:1 to 2:1 or so. I most often shoot a bit under 1.5:1, which is how this is set up in the photos. For full-body shots of large bugs, like butterflies and some larger dragonflies, some people simply use a close-focusing telephoto rather than equipment like this. To make these numbers concrete, here is a shot I took with the equipment as shown:

one type of macro rig

Here is a top shot of the equipment, with the flash on the side. (I sometimes put it more to the top.)

one type of macro rig

The camera is my old 50D. Even though I own a much newer FF camera, I usually use this crop-sensor camera for work like this, for several reasons. It is lighter and smaller, which is an advantage in doing this kind of work. Shooting with a flash, the inferior high-ISO performance is irrelevant. Ditto AF, because I don't rely on AF for this kind of macro. Finally, it has a higher pixel density than most FF cameras. At minimum working distance, the image size is independent of sensor size. A 10 cm x 4 cm bug will cast a 10 x 4 image on any sensor. Higher pixel density means more pixels on the bug.

The lens is a 100mm macro, with a 38mm extension tube. Among the bug-chasers I know, there are two camps: the 100mm camp and the 150-180mm camp. The latter gives you more working distance, at a higher price and with more weight. I've never used the longer ones. There are lots of alternatives to a macro lens, but if you are serious about this, I would get one. It is the only sizable expense in the entire setup. You don't need IS/ VC for this sort of work, BTW, because of the flash and monopod. Regular IS doesn't help much at macro distances anyway.

The flash is a 430 EX II, not a specialized macro flash. Ring flashes give more even light, but a lot of macro photographers don't use them for this sort of work because the lighting is flat. If you are choosing from regular flashes, more power than this isn't necessary at these distances, and more power would mean more weight, but if you already have something like a 580, it should work just fine.

The flash has to be diffused. This diffuser is a particularly messy version of Brian Valentine's "coke can diffuser" (there are instructions on the web), made from two sliced-up soda cans and a lot of duct tape. (Hint: do not use duct tape to attach the diffuser to the flash, because it leaves a mess. The masking tape I was experimenting with in this picture doesn't work. Gaffer's tape is the best, I think.) Lots of things can be used for the actual diffuser surface. Paper towel works very well. This one is two sheets of baking parchment paper. I later added a third layer of Manfrotto diffusing plastic, which makes it more water resistant.

Here's the flash bracket:

one type of macro rig

I copied this design from one posted by a much better macro photographer. The bottom is a $7 aluminum bracket from which I knocked off the cold shoe. I put in a screw for the bottom miniball and then attached a second. One hint: If you use a Novoflex, as I did for the bottom, buy one that doesn't have a separate panning control. Under this load, it often comes loose.

Here's the front, with the flash more to the top, to give you an idea of the size of the diffuser.

one type of macro rig

Finally, I use a monopod. Bugs rarely wait for a tripod to be set up, and hand-holding without support is harder at this magnification than under other conditions.

one type of macro rig

The monopod has a tilt head (rotates in only one direction), set to rotate top to bottom. I find this essential--it allows you to move the focus up and down if the monopod is not exactly the right height, and there is rarely time to adjust it to just the right height. You can also hold the monopod at odd angles, e.g., at an acute angle braced against your shoe, if there is no time to adjust. This tilt head is a Kirk, which I bought because it is one of the only arca-swiss compatible ones I could find, but you can make do fine with a less expensive (and lighter) one. E.g., I used a Benro for awhile. Any adjustable monopod will do; just decide whether screw locks or flip locks are faster for you.
    Last edited by DanK; 24th August 2014 at 02:15 PM.

Real Name
    David

Re: one type of macro rig

Thank you Dan for sharing how, and what, you use to achieve your very I.M.O very high standard of macro

Although I sometimes use my MP-E 65, my main tool for the job is a 100mm macro like yours, my latest diffuser is a MacDonald's drink cup (large) with kitchen towel taped over the end it does not look great but so far so good

Cheers David

Real Name
    Peter

Dan thanks for explaining your technique and kit for macro work. On the first image which shows the 100mmL IS lens can I ask what is it that you have mounted on the front end (not the extension tube) of the lens?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    Dan thanks for explaining your technique and kit for macro work. On the first image which shows the 100mmL IS lens can I ask what is it that you have mounted on the front end (not the extension tube) of the lens?
    Hi Peter,

Just a UV filter and a lens cap. I almost always use a protective filter for this kind of macro, partly because I am very close to all sorts of stuff (e.g., sticky flowers), and also because it isn't feasible to use a lens hood (which would come too close to the bug). Also, I sometimes end up creeping up on my stomach, and the bottom of the filter ring actually gets worn from that. I would rather damage that than the end of the lens.

Dan

Real Name
    David

Peter, Dan will answer this better than me, but having the same lens, I think what you are talking about is just a U.V or Skylight filter? then the lens cap

Cheers David

Real Name
    David

Sorry Dan, must have been typing at the same time lol!

Real Name
    John

Nice setup, that tilt head monopod looks like a good investment.

Real Name
    John

One thing I have wondered about flashes and diffusers is if some are using them because the flash is too powerful at the distances macro involves?

I haven't tried a monopod yet but have one with a tilt head but wonder about time taken to set it to the correct height. None of them seem to be quickly adjustable - unless I have missed one? I also get more miss focus problems than those caused by camera shake providing I can keep the shutter speed up.

John
    -

Real Name
    Dan

John,

No the diffuser is not for brightness. The ETTL flash would compensate. It's to make the light less harsh and lessen reflections.

Dan

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    John,

No the diffuser is not for brightness. The ETTL flash would compensate. It's to make the light less harsh and lessen reflections.

Dan
    Yes I know. I wondered as some one started shooting macro some time ago now and was producing over exposed shots as the min flash duration / power was too much at the distances it was being used so ETTL didn't help.

John
    -

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Dan...the Kirk is interesting...and I have not had a monopod before so it will make my life a bit more easier. I have been holding off on buying a 100mm macro but I think I will jump the real macro bandwagon as soon as we return from our trip this weekend. B&H -- here I come...with my credit card.

Thanks Dan...and David, when I get gears and learned how to use it properly...I can join your macro club. My main problem is mainly shadows.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for sharing Dan. I have done a very similar mod with a flash bracket to enable me to use a flash in the same way.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Dan, very interesting thread. have recently started macro and was thinking of ring flash, (only a Viltrox JY670 manual) but had doubts re flat lighting. A diffuser on a standard flash seems a good approach and one I read about more and more.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    Thanks Dan, very interesting thread. have recently started macro and was thinking of ring flash, (only a Viltrox JY670 manual) but had doubts re flat lighting. A diffuser on a standard flash seems a good approach and one I read about more and more.
    John,

A great macro forum is here. Some of the top people there have posted their own flash rigs, and they are all diffused single flashes. In fact, I copied mine from one thread there.

The one drawback is that if you have the flash to one side, you get great lighting when the lighting should be from that side, but it won't work if you need flash from the other side. You can adjust it to some degree, but not to the other side.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    John,

A great macro forum is here. Some of the top people there have posted their own flash rigs, and they are all diffused single flashes. In fact, I copied mine from one thread there.

The one drawback is that if you have the flash to one side, you get great lighting when the lighting should be from that side, but it won't work if you need flash from the other side. You can adjust it to some degree, but not to the other side.
    Thank you Dan for the link and advice. I began to realise that ring flash was not the way to go for most things,(still rather like them though, but thats gear lust I think ) and you have confirmed that. I will have a good look at your link.

Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    Thanks for sharing Dan. I have done a very similar mod with a flash bracket to enable me to use a flash in the same way.
    Oh! it was you I was thinking about...but I wasn't sure. I was battling between Geoff, David and you who uploaded the gear shot too once. I decided to let it go before I got corrected...so that was a long time salivating for a macro gear for me...

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Oh! it was you I was thinking about...but I wasn't sure. I was battling between Geoff, David and you who uploaded the gear shot too once. I decided to let it go before I got corrected...so that was a long time salivating for a macro gear for me...
    Hi Izzie, I have a collection of different macro lighting rigs from expensive manufacturer ones to home made cardboard but in reality they all do the same job as Dans above and 50% of the time will be in the way when wanting to get in close

Real Name
    Izzie

Thanks mate...I think it was the cardboard one that you uploaded where I was quite amazed on at one stage, but life got in the way at the time so I let it go..Thanks for enlightening me...I really appreciate it...

Thanks for the encouragement...

Real Name
    Richard

This is my macro rig...
    one type of macro rig

Articulating Siegelite flash bracket which I got for just a few dollars at a rummage sale - this model is no longer manufactured but, is available on eBay - usually for under $20 USD. Canon flash (I use various models), Canon off camera flash cord, and Lumiquest mini softbox.

one type of macro rig

I use this rig on a tripod or hand held. The grip on the Siegelite bracket makes hand holding quite nice...

one type of macro rig

one type of macro rig

My older Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF SP macro lens interfaces better with my older Canon 40D camera than with my present 7D cameras. So, I usually keep the Tamron on my 40D.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 1st September 2014 at 07:44 PM.

Real Name
    Izzie

This is great, Richard....I am not home at the moment but I finally get to google your rig and it seems interesting...thank you for uploading this. Now I have another reason to succumb to the GAS attitude mode. As soon as I get home, B&H will hear from me. -- with my credit card number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast