Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bhimtal Landscape - B&W - C&C Welcome

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Bhimtal Landscape - B&W - C&C Welcome

Just to add to Mike and Donald's comment; the bright white specular highlights from the river really direct our eyes toward the centre of the image.

I think Donald is quite right; in Adam's work, the mountains and river are more intimately connected; both are tonally similar and the foreground and mountains are positioned in such a way ast to add balance. The other difference is that in Adam's image, the mountains are sharp and clear, just like the foreground, so that we see the integration.

Real Name
    Shane

Thanks for sharing your work Raj and for starting what is becoming a great discussion. Finding the scene within the scene is a challenge that many of us have and when I see the two crops out of the original image I am really in awe of those with the ability to 'see' in them.

I think that often times we raise the camera to our eye and try to capture the whole scene before us which can lead to a cluttered image and my first reaction to your image was "nicely done" as presented but now I question that and also my own approach to scenes like this which can only lead to a more thoughtful click of the shutter next time.

Very interesting

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Just to add to Mike and Donald's comment; the bright white specular highlights from the river really direct our eyes toward the centre of the image.

I think Donald is quite right; in Adam's work, the mountains and river are more intimately connected; both are tonally similar and the foreground and mountains are positioned in such a way as to add balance. The other difference is that in Adam's image, the mountains are sharp and clear, just like the foreground, so that unlike your image Raj, the foreground and background (and middle ground) are more cohesive. The conditions that Adams took his shot were spectacular with a very clear sky (a winter image, perhaps?).

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    the relationship between the river and the mountains in Adams' image is much more intimate and 'connected' than in Raj's image. I think, about the Adams image, that the curve and line of the river takes us right back into the mountains.
    Yes. the tip of the river seems much closer to the background mountains.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    I'll go against the "flow" and say that I really like the full image, especially in B&W! The winding river takes my eye thru the image to the majestic mountains! Just my opinion, but I wouldn't change a thing.
    Thanks for ur kind review and appreciation

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by nimitzbenedicto View Post
    Hi Raj,

Btw, if our "edits" seem similar, maybe t's because I am an avid follower of Manfred's posts.

I carefully read and visualize the concepts of Manfred.

Another mentor I follow is Bill.

Manfred's top image is superior to mine. But I'd crop closer to the tip of the mountain. Make the image "foggier".

In the river crop, I wanted to draw the viewer to the apex of the 2 triangles on the left same with the 3 triangles on the right all emphasizing the river. So if I edit further, I'll want to darken the triangles more. Clone out those 2 bright objects.

Thanks
    Once again thanks for ur suggestions. I really work on manfred's suggestion and try my level best not to repeat any mistakes which manfred suggests.

Cic played a major in my photography improvement. cic forum is my teacher. M v thankful to all cic members who helped me and I truely respect them

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I mentioned that I would only comment on the quality of the conversion but I changed my mind. People have discussed that the image is composed to present two images that pull at each other for attention. Consider this famous image by Ansel Adams, which is similar. I'm at a loss to articulate why such a similar image as the one by Adams works so well without pulling our eyes to and fro, but that's how I respond to it.
    Thanks for bringing ansels adams image into notice. One of my friend showed me this image too when he saw my image. If u notice I have written snake river in my previous comment.

But I thought it will b an insult to compare my work to ansal adams so havnt shared his snake river image as I really wanted to discuss about that image too. Big relief n m happy v had a great discussion why his image works really well. Really appreciated.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Thanks for sharing your work Raj and for starting what is becoming a great discussion. Finding the scene within the scene is a challenge that many of us have and when I see the two crops out of the original image I am really in awe of those with the ability to 'see' in them.

I think that often times we raise the camera to our eye and try to capture the whole scene before us which can lead to a cluttered image and my first reaction to your image was "nicely done" as presented but now I question that and also my own approach to scenes like this which can only lead to a more thoughtful click of the shutter next time.

Very interesting
    Thanks for ur kind review n suggestion. It was my very first attempt with the landscapes n m trying my best to learn abt landscapes.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by fotugraphy View Post
    But I thought it will b an insult to compare my work to ansal adams
    I imagine Ansel Adams would say that when such a comparison provides us such a great learning experience, it would be an insult NOT to make the comparison.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I imagine Ansel Adams would say that when such a comparison provides us such a great learning experience, it would be an insult NOT to make the comparison.
    I will keep this in my mind and will feel free to raise any discussions in my mind. thanks a lot for removing hasitation from my side.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

I think Donald is quite right; in Adam's work, the mountains and river are more intimately connected; both are tonally similar and the foreground and mountains are positioned in such a way as to add balance. The other difference is that in Adam's image, the mountains are sharp and clear, just like the foreground, so that unlike your image Raj, the foreground and background (and middle ground) are more cohesive. The conditions that Adams took his shot were spectacular with a very clear sky (a winter image, perhaps?).
    Full agreed with mike, donald and manfred about the relationship of river n mountains, clear mountains and dynamic balance between background n foreground.

Real Name
    Raj

Quote Originally Posted by nimitzbenedicto View Post
    Yes. the tip of the river seems much closer to the background mountains.
    Tip of river is closer, may b thats why river n mointains feel more connected to each other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12