Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pond Anilao

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Re: Pond Anilao

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Rob,

The overall style of this image is similar to the overall style of your portraits, which is different than how most images are made. It's in that context that I review your images; it doesn't make any sense to me to review them in the context of how others typically make images.

If you would display as many photos of landscapes in this style as you display as portraits, I think people would probably more easily accept the landscapes. It's clear to me (though I could be wrong) that you made this image as you envision it. There's not much more of a compliment that I can give someone even when it's not a style that particularly moves me.
    Thanks for judging my work fairly, Mike. It really means a lot. You are quite right to say that the rendering of this image is how I envision it. I consider myself first an artist who just happen to know how to operate a camera. As I mentioned in one thread that I started, I believe feelings should preclude techniques in order for art to work. In this sense, I might have a mental vision of how it's going to look like when I take a picture. So even if the raw photo is much different from my vision, I more or less know how I would edit it to come close to my vision. I think it is more of an artwork than classical photography. I realize that is risky since it is not considered traditional or normative by other people. But when art does work, it could be very rewarding.

Thank you for your encouragement. Really much appreciated.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Rob,

I received your PM but couldn't respond. That's because the number of PMs you're storing exceeds the maximum. Delete some PMs to solve the problem.

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Rob,

I received your PM but couldn't respond. That's because the number of PMs you're storing exceeds the maximum. Delete some PMs to solve the problem.
    Hate when that happens. Issue rectified :-) Please try again.

Quote Originally Posted by juznobsrvr View Post
    Issue rectified :-)
    Not yet. It may take some time for something to reset.

There's no harm in sharing publicly what I was going to send privately, so...

I wrote my post because you had mentioned to Kodiak that you would stop making landscapes. That's fine if you want to, but probably not a good idea if the only reason is that you didn't receive the positive reaction that you're used to seeing in reaction to your portraits. If people see more landscapes made in your style, they might warm up to them.

The other thing to decide is who you make photos for. If you make them as I do almost entirely for my own enjoyment, it really doesn't matter whether other people like them. If it's important for whatever reason that others like your photos on whatever level, I imagine that making landscapes in this style is a bit challenging but not necessarily with any challenges that can't eventually be overcome.

Real Name
    John

Quite a few images that could be taken of this scene, the jutting land mass, the wooden structure, the clouds, nicely captured.

Real Name
    Rob Castro

I wrote my post because you had mentioned to Kodiak that you would stop making landscapes. That's fine if you want to, but probably not a good idea if the only reason is that you didn't receive the positive reaction that you're used to seeing in reaction to your portraits. If people see more landscapes made in your style, they might warm up to them.

The other thing to decide is who you make photos for. If you make them as I do almost entirely for my own enjoyment, it really doesn't matter whether other people like them. If it's important for whatever reason that others like your photos on whatever level, I imagine that making landscapes in this style is a bit challenging but not necessarily with any challenges that can't eventually be overcome.
    Thanks for meaningful words, Mike.

My response to Kodiak was merely tongue in cheek :-) But truthfully, I was scrapping from the bottom of the barrel when I posted this image. I am not really comfortable with landscape compared to doing portraits.

One reason I post here in CiC is to share my work - even at the risk of being rejected. I am quite aware of that. That is why I am truly appreciative that you are one of the few who seems to understand where I'm coming from. The other reason is to improve my art by learning from others. It's been a humbling experience though worth it :-) Finally, it is somewhat important for me to get a sense of what people think of my work as this is my art. It is what I do - professionally and for my enjoyment.

Cheers, my friend.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Mike, I know your waterfall image you uploaded in the past in B&W, it was wonderfull too. IMO photography is a vast subject and as you mention above it is not easy and necessary to please everyone as long as the image talks to the viewer which is mostly the case in Rob's images.

Hi again Rob, I completely agree with Mike that you shouldn't change your direction because of some people's preferences. I like everything in this image. I wish I could shoot like you do

BTW, my inbox was full too . I got a warning message from CinC and I removed some of the old messages. If you couldn't solve the problem, may be you made a technical mistake. Please try again.

Real Name
    Binnur

Rob, art is a vast subject too. There are some people who hate Picasso, but this doesn't mean Picasso is bad either. So, please go whereever your soul takes you. All right?

Thanks for meaningful words, Mike.

My response to Kodiak was merely tongue in cheek :-) But truthfully, I was scrapping from the bottom of the barrel when I posted this image. I am not really comfortable with landscape compared to doing portraits.

One reason I post here in CiC is to share my work - even at the risk of being rejected. I am quite aware of that. That is why I am truly appreciative that you are one of the few who seems to understand where I'm coming from. The other reason is to improve my art by learning from others. It's been a humbling experience though worth it :-) Finally, it is somewhat important for me to get a sense of what people think of my work as this is my art. It is what I do - professionally and for my enjoyment.

Cheers, my friend.

Real Name
    Grahame

I have looked at this image a few times now Rob and have been trying to work out the reason for the water surface on the left side being disturbed. Am I correct in that what we see is a squall coming in from the right, thicker cloud and rain causing a not so sharp horizon in that area?

It has something interesting wherever your eyes wander.

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Quite a few images that could be taken of this scene, the jutting land mass, the wooden structure, the clouds, nicely captured.
    Thanks for noticing and your usual kind words, John. Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Mike, I know your waterfall image you uploaded in the past in B&W, it was wonderfull too. IMO photography is a vast subject and as you mention above it is not easy and necessary to please everyone as long as the image talks to the viewer which is mostly the case in Rob's images.

Hi again Rob, I completely agree with Mike that you shouldn't change your direction because of some people's preferences. I like everything in this image. I wish I could shoot like you do

BTW, my inbox was full too . I got a warning message from CinC and I removed some of the old messages. If you couldn't solve the problem, may be you made a technical mistake. Please try again.
    Thanks for your support and encouragement, Binnur. Really mean a lot to me :-)

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    I have looked at this image a few times now Rob and have been trying to work out the reason for the water surface on the left side being disturbed. Am I correct in that what we see is a squall coming in from the right, thicker cloud and rain causing a not so sharp horizon in that area?

Thanks for noticing and kind comment, Grahame. I don't seem to remember that a squall was coming in from the right. it has been years ago when the shot was taken. But my recollection was it was windy but didn't rain. Here is the photo SOOC and you be the judge :-)

Pond Anilao

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Rob, art is a vast subject too. There are some people who hate Picasso, but this doesn't mean Picasso is bad either. So, please go whereever your soul takes you. All right?
    Yes, thanks for reminding me, Binnur :-)

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for noticing and kind comment, Grahame. I don't seem to remember that a squall was coming in from the right. it has been years ago when the shot was taken. But my recollection was it was windy but didn't rain. Here is the photo SOOC and you be the judge :-)
    Rob, the original does not suggest it anywhere as much as the B&W but that's what is good about certain images our imagination can work overtime

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Rob, the original does not suggest it anywhere as much as the B&W but that's what is good about certain images our imagination can work overtime
    Cheers, Grahame. Then perhaps I have succeeded in this image :-) Thanks.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Grahame, there is no need to be a sguall for those ripples . What I know from my sailing experience is that, sometimes a very short and strong wind comes immediately and those ripples appear and if you are sailing with a laser boat and you are not on the watch, you are up side down

Last edited by bnnrcn; 23rd August 2014 at 04:29 AM.

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Hi Grahame, there is no need to be a sguall for those ripples . What I know from my sailing experience is that, sometimes a very short and strong wind comes immediately and those ripples appear and if you are sailing with a laser and you are not on the watch, you are up side down
    Thanks for a quick lesson in meteorology, Binnur. BTW, this thread has the most responses I have ever had in CiC. Maybe I should post more landscapes :-D

Real Name
    Grahame

What I know from my sailing experience is that, sometimes a very short and strong wind comes immediately and those ripples appear and if you are sailing with a laser boat and you are not on the watch, you are up side down
    That's why it's so important to watch the clouds as well Binnur

I wish I could shoot like [Rob does]
    You do. You just use a different style. Not better. Not worse. Just different. Like his photos, yours are very appealing and getting more so nearly every day.

Real Name
    Binnur

Thank you very much for your encouraging comment Mike

You do. You just use a different style. Not better. Not worse. Just different. Like his photos, yours are very appealing and getting more so nearly every day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12