Thread: Buying Nikon...am I standing at the precipice?

Buying Nikon...am I standing at the precipice?

It's as if the d810 recall were a sign from the camera gods...if there was such a thing.

I mentioned earlier that I was intent on buying a new lens for an upcoming trip to yellowstone. I've decided to purchase full frame lenses since I plan on buying a full frame nikon later on. I currently own a nikon d7100 which I absolutly LOVE!

I'm invested in;

nikon d7100
    nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens
    sigma 150-500mm

I have a few other dx format lenses but nothing else that could migrate to the full frame bag.

With that said, I decided a last week to go ahead and spend around 3k on two full frame lens AND since I'm taking a trip of a lifetime, I've handled the nikon Df and d810 and am/was planning on buying the d810 as well.

I'm shooting here at work for our portfolio. I'm getting more assignments in the field as well. My passion is photo hunting for wildlife and nature. I've just been invited to Crested Butte in a couple of weeks to shoot a friend's home that is being renovated. I'm a graphic artist with 15 or so years of experience and so far the photography bug has been nothing but pure joy. I'm all in and plan on staying behind the lens for some time to come.

With that said, and with roughly a $1,500 loss in lenses that would not migrate to cannon, what is your honest opinion the direction I should take?

I love my nikon d7100 and I have a strong feeling that I would love the d810, but after reading some of the post on the d810 recall thread, I have about 6,500 concerns that just popped up.

Somebody talk me off this precipice or shove me over, I need a mountain grabbing lens in a couple of weeks.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Buying Nikon...am I standing at the precipice?

I personally would not get too concerned about the recall; any new shipments should have the fix already installed. It does look like a hardware, rather than software issue. There was a recall (battery) when the D800 first shipped, and I while I bought an early version, the shipment occured late enough that I missed this issue.

I seem to remember a high end Canon being recalled for a light leak issue a few years ago. With anything this technologically advanced as a modern high-end digital camera, these glitches can always be expected as the camera moves from the hand-built pre-production state to volume production.

If I were in the market for a new body today, the D810 would be my first choice, but frankly the improvements over the D800 are too minor for me to drop that kind of money right now. Like you, I started accumulating pro glass before I actually bought the full-frame camera. For the types of shooting I do, this was the right choice for me, and frankly even though I do still have the crop-frame D90; I rarely use it any more and shoot either the D800 (even though it is large and heavy) and I will jump to the Panasonic GX7 when weight and size are an issue.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Ok David, close your eyes, take a big breath, now step back way back, do not worry you will not fall. Now you state that you have the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and the Sigma 150-500mm lens, you also state the you order 2 lens last week for around 3K, what are those two lens as the two mentioned about are not in the 3K range total. Just background info wanted to help as more info it always better.
    Now the D7100 is a great camera I had the D7000 until it was stolen and loved it. I think that you have a case of if I get one of those other cameras I will get even better images, WRONG, the first time through Yellowstone I had a D90, just great shots and it was already 3 years old when I got it, next time through I had the D7000 again great shots. What you have not done is pushed yourself to push the D7100 to the point of it is not able to give me what I need. Unless you push yourself to the edge using that camera you will never know what you and the camera are capable of. If you have done that then you will know what you need by way of a camera.
    If I was looking for lens, then a 10-20mm (DX),16-35mm (FF), 24-70mm (FF) as I like shooting landscapes, and the new 80-400mm (FF), that 80-400mm will give you the same look as if you were using a 600mm($11,300.00 CDN) on a (FF) camera. With these lens you have most focal distances covered with a 10mm space between 70 and 80mm. If you did change to FF than these lens would still work nicely, however you would now have to buy a 600mm to keep the same reach.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    John

Sometimes the lens alone will be enough to get you over most technical hurdles. With the FX lenses on your DX camera you should be able to meet most, if not all of your Yellowstone challenges. It looks like you've got the trip covered with what you have, you don't want to try learning the new system in the middle of your trip so if you've got time give the D810 a workout prior to the trip to uncover any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    you also state the you order 2 lens last week for around 3K, what are those two lens as the two mentioned about are not in the 3K range total. Just background info wanted to help as more info it always better.

I haven't bought them yet but they are the nikkor 14-24 and the nikkor 28-300 for a "hunting" lens. (decided to spend a bit), and was planning on going ahead and mounting them onto a new d810.

I honestly feel the d810 would help me with the wildlife shots considering most of my best shots so far have been early morning or late evening during low light hours. The read up on the d810's extended ISO range and larger sensor got my attention.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dave View Post
    the nikkor 14-24 and the nikkor 28-300
    David - I have the full line of Nikon pro zooms; the f/2.8 14-24mm; the f/2.8 24-70mm and the f/2.8 70-200mm lenses. Even though I consider myself an ultra-wide angle "junkie", the 14-24mm lens is the one I use the least. It is definitely a speciality lens and performs wonderfully, but really has somewhat limited use. If I look at all of my shots; just over half are shot with the 24-70mm and most of the rest are shot using the 70-200mm. I would say that I use the 14-24mm for less than 5% of my work.

I think you might find that the 28-300mm is too slow, especially at the long, to be a good "hunting" lens, especially if you are looking at early morning or late evening work. I may still pick it up, but am more likely going to get the new 1.4x teleconverter and use it on the 70-200mm lens for longer range. We own both the original Nikkor 80-400mm and the Sigma 150-500mm for wildlife work, and they are a bit on the slow side too.

Real Name
    Allan Short

David the Nikkor 14-24mm is great lens I was looking at it myself, went with the 16-35mm, smaller, lighter, less expensive, can take my standard filters, and by some reports just a little sharper than that expensive, heavy brute that you are thinking of.
    With the 28-300mm you are trying to get a everything lens, does well at most things middle of the pack.
    Now as for the high ISO of the D810, who would jack the ISO that high the noise at that level, as for low light how about sitting on a sand dune in Death Valley at 11:30pm taking 1 hours exposures by moon light could have jacked the ISO by the quality would have not been worth being there.
    Now the D7100 can out about 1-1/2 years ago, do not know how much experience you had previous, you say that your best stuff has been morning and evening low light, I put that down to you slowing down, thinking and taking your time to set up the camera and the shot not the equipment that you are using.
    However if you feel that you can do better with the D810, let me know what you are doing with the D7100 as I could use it as a back up to my D600 and also use it when I want a longer reach.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There have been two references to a "hunting" lens. What is that term referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    There have been two references to a "hunting" lens. What is that term referring to?
    Kind of a made up term I suppose but I enjoy roaming the woods and somewhat stalking wildlife for photo opportunities. It has become one of my favorite hobbies and a great stress reliever. The wide focal range gives me the ability to reach a bit if I can't get close enough.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The relationship between the engineering/development side of a company and the marketing side of a company is like open warfare. The engineers want to have enough development and preproduction time as possible to perfect a product. The sales and marketing division want to get their hands on a new/improved product as soon as possible if not sooner. The time to release a new product is a management choice and is obviously subject to market conditions and competition.

Manufactures and service providers of just about everything including aeroplanes, cars, software, building products, TV's etc etc etc (even Pharmaceuticals) would not survive if they needed to wait until the perfect fault free product was available or if they did the cost of the product would be horrendous.

The key point for the consumer is how effectively a company reacts to correct any of the almost inevitable but hopefully small number of problems that occur. In that respect I think Nikon have now learnt that a swift response is the best approach.

Personally I am very reluctant to buy a newly released product. Partly to wait for any teething problems to be sorted out but mainly because by waiting about 6 months I find I generally end up with a cheaper but proven product.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    The key point for the consumer is how effectively a company reacts to correct any of the almost inevitable but hopefully small number of problems that occur. In that respect I think Nikon have now learnt that a swift response is the best approach.
    Let's hope General Motors and all of its competitors have also learned that. A defective camera being used by someone else does not pose a threat to me. Very much the opposite when it comes to an automobile.

Real Name
    Edit is OK… always want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I personally would not get too concerned about the recall; any new shipments should have the fix already installed.
    This is a less alarmist and more reasonable statement!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    This is a less alarmist and more reasonable statement!
    I do not see any alarming or unreasonable statements on this thread but then again I think I have had a pretty tough life..

Real Name
    Mark

Just stick with your 7100 for now, it has extra reach for the wildlife stuff, and isnt it 24mp? that gives a higher pixel density that the d810 doesnt it? im not sure how the maths works but doesnt that give higher res images?

The d800 is well worth it despite its little silly niggles so im sure the 810 will be as well, just wait a while, the prices will drop and youll get a copy thats at least had all the silly new niggles sorted out.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I didn't know that Nikon had a problem until I read this thread.

If I were you I would wait and do nothing and assemble your thoughts.

Nikon is a fine brand I doubt that you should sell up and move if you have a lot of Nikon gear that you can use.

And if you do choose to sell it all and move, then you need a very careful plan of action and NOT an emotive KNEE JERK RE-action.

Several years ago I had the mirror compartment assembly drop out of my EOS 5D whilst I was shooting an High School Graduation Awards Day.

I moved to my back-up and it read “Error 99” after three shots.

I move to my second backup (an EOS 20D) and it went OK for the rest of the shoot – glad it did because my third back up was a Minolta SRT-303b loaded with ASA 400 colour neg film and that would have cost me a packet in processing and development and would have taken the edge off the profit for the job.

I didn’t slam Canon and move – I got my 5Ds fixed for gratis in a very reasonable time and said 'thank you' for the extraordinary extra warranty that was given to me.

I suggest you take a step back and wait a week or three and think it through – DO NOT make any rash and hasty choices.

WW