Thread: Which color calibration device for dual display setup?

Real Name
    Allan Martin

Which color calibration device for dual display setup?

Hello!

I'm about to venture into the realm of color accuracy!
    I have a high res antiglare macbook pro and a 23" LG basic IPS external display.

Should I get the ColorMunki Display or the Spyder4Pro?

By main goal is to have the exact same colors on both screens! I don't mess with printing, just web really.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Which color calibration device for dual display setup?

Spyder used to use a program called StudioMatch for exactly this - not sure if they still do (I only calibrate and profile 1 of my 2 screens - the other is just used for toolbars etc). I've always used Spyder products, and haven't had any issues with them.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Allan - My setup is similar to Colin's, but I've calibrated and profiled both screens using my rather ancient x-Rite i1.

That being said; they are NOT identical in terms of output; but this is not necessarily surprising as one is a fairly decent IPS screen and the other is a lower end unit. Two identical displays might look identical, but don't be surprised screens from different supplirs are not.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 19th August 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Spyder used to use a program called StudioMatch for exactly this - not sure if they still do (I only calibrate and profile 1 of my 2 screens - the other is just used for toolbars etc). I've always used Spyder products, and haven't had any issues with them.
    Well the ColorMunki has a feature like that, but overall the reviews seem to lean towards the Spyder4Pro.

Apparently that software you mentioned is only available for the spyder4elite. Meaning Id have to pay $70 more for a feature already present in the ColorMunki.

I'll wait and see if anyone else has other inputs related to color matching!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

The 99% of the battle with colour management is "just doing it" (which too many don't). If you DO do it then the actual product you use probably has a minor bearing on things.

One thing to keep in mind though - having just said all that - I think the Spyder 4 used 4 detectors instead of the traditional 3, which is advantageous when profiling Adobe RGB as opposed to more traditional sRGB devices. Not sure where ColorMunki is up to in that regards.