Thread: D40 or D50

Real Name
    Peter Mott

D40 or D50

I want to get a secondhand camera body - either a Canon Eos D40 or a Canon EOS D50. I incline to the D40 because the D50 has had really 'iffy' reviews AFAICT in particular:
    * low light pictures are noisier than D40
    * 15 MP is too many to be useful except with really high end lens and anyway uses much more disk space
    * it is (a bit) slower taking continuous pictures
    The D40 is spoken of as something a classic, the D50 as somethig of a dog.

But are there other considerations I have missed? BTW secondhand the difference in price is only £100 or so, so that is not a major issue.

Thanks for any help,

Peter
    Last edited by peter2108; 2nd April 2010 at 05:00 PM.

Re: D40 or D50

Peter

Take it you mean the 40D, not D40?

I have the 50D (30D previously). I've heard plenty of good stuff about the 40D, and for a mid-range camera, I doubt you could do a lot better. The 50D is very good too, but you do have to watch the noise above ISO400. The 50D screen is excellent with 920k pixels (320k on 40D) The menu layout and feel of the 50D are excellent - I have a 5DMk1 also and the 50D feels at least as good in the hand. Of course you have 15mp on the 50D and only 10mp on the 40D. That makes the 50D very good if you need to crop a lot (bird shots, sports etc).

I think that on balance you won't find a huge difference - perhaps very slightly better image quality on the 40D, but other plus points on the 50D. You can probably pick up a used 40D for a very good rate at the moment. Here's a comparison. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...os40d&show=all

Real Name
    Peter Mott

Rob,

Yes D40/D50. Doh. That's really helpful - the side by side review I searched all over for without success. The 50D certainly has a better screen (my 400D doesn't have one at all :-( ) but maybe the price difference for secondhanf decides it when the two are so close. Mifsuds (http://www.mifsuds.com/usedpriceindex.htm) are offereing a boxed 50D at £599 (£654 best new price) and unboxed 40D at £479.

What about buying from private individual on eBay?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by peter2108 View Post
    What about buying from private individual on eBay?
    It's up to you, but I would say a big no! You won't get a warranty, and somehow (I know this is me being bad-mouthed) I just don't like buying stuff from e-Bay. I always wonder where it's been.

Real Name
    Steve

I'm amazed at those prices. I don't think you will get better on Ebay, I watch Ebay for a laugh and a second hand over 2 years old Jessops 360 AFCD went for £59 + postage where a brand new one cost £79 free postage. Lens with a serious dent in the side canon 20mm f2.8 I think went for £265 and I'm sure a brand new one doesn't cost much more and the biggest laugh was when I saw a lens go for more than it cost brand new.

Real Name
    Peter Mott

carregwen/arith,
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    It's up to you, but I would say a big no! You won't get a warranty, and somehow (I know this is me being bad-mouthed) I just don't like buying stuff from e-Bay. I always wonder where it's been.
    With camera stuff that is my feeling too. Just wanted a confirmation ;-). eBay prices for cameras are no better than from a shop like Mifsuds - even ex warranty.

And as arith says there are times when people really bid beyond what something is worth.

So that's me sorted ....

Thanks

Peter

Check out MPB Photographic. I have just bought a 40D from there (and other kit in the past). The 40D was £435. It is in excellent condition and arrived 2 days after I ordered. You also get a six month warranty. I have no experience of the 50D but the 40D is an excellent camera. They have 2 at the moment for the around the same price

Steve

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...l-slr-cameras/

Real Name
    Steve

Best I've seen to date, to buy 5D or not 5D that is the question. It would have to be a MK 1 though because I don't like 23MB raw files.

Real Name
    Peter Mott

I have added them to my list. BTW I have been watching auctions on ebay. A 40D body went for £390 another for £450 (why?) and for £568 a 40D body with battery grip and 17-85 IS lens. These of course are without any warranty.

P.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...l-slr-cameras/

Peter the condition will vary and e-bay is not a good way to judge 2nd hand prices. People do loopy things and pay loopy prices on e-bay. Amazon may be a better way to estimate price. One thing about a reputable 2nd hand dealer is that if the camera is not as described you send to straight back. Even so use your credit or charge card so that you have purchase cover. MPB descriptions of condition are good they even tell you when a lens has internal dust (not a problem in most cases but nice to know).

BTW I am not associated with MPB in anyway its just that they have been very professional in my dealings with them....and you can get them on the phone.

Best I've seen to date, to buy 5D or not 5D
    Steve, believe me I was sorely tempted...but on second thoughts people might see my 5D and assume that I knew what I was doing

Real Name
    Peter Mott

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Best I've seen to date, to buy 5D or not 5D that is the question. It would have to be a MK 1 though because I don't like 23MB raw files.
    Can anyone say when and for what a 5D with its bigger sensor is an advantage? Colin Southern once posted in this forums that the reason he had a 1D was that then he knew that the defects in his pictures were not down to the camera!

Colin Southern once posted in this forums that the reason he had a 1D was that then he knew that the defects in his pictures were not down to the camera!
    And.....he's loaded but I guess if you buy the best of anything you can certainly narrow down where any defects may lie. I don't have Colin's confidence (or readies) so I'll just keep blaming the camera.

Steve

Real Name
    Steve

Ebay is a good laugh. I only normally buy cheap stuff on Ebay but some of there traders give good deals with warranty whilst others should be avoided at all costs.
    You can find a general ball park price on Ebay from the buy it now sales and private auction for some reason usually get silly. For such an expensive item I need a valid address and phone number and look beyond the 'good condition' statement since they all say that.
    I was doing my head in looking for a very good quality wide lens without CA and it was reading this thread when it occurred to me I already have one, it isn't really wide but the same as my 28mm on a full frame but without any CA measured in tests at all, its only problem is it's cheap construction.
    The other problem is with short backs, third party lenses are only listed as AF and not to be used on FF, but my 10D has the same mirror and reflex action as an FF.
    I could solve the problems by saving for a 5D, they cost around £800 one year old.

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by peter2108 View Post
    Can anyone say when and for what a 5D with its bigger sensor is an advantage? Colin Southern once posted in this forums that the reason he had a 1D was that then he knew that the defects in his pictures were not down to the camera!
    Some stock libraries stipulate a minimum of 50MB TIFs. If you were using a 12MP camera, you’d need to upsize your images; that of course means a loss of resolution. A larger sensor (such as the 5D MkII) means you don’t have to upsize; it also means there is room to crop too.