Thread: Focus Point display in LR

Real Name
    Peter

Focus Point display in LR

Just a heads up for people who use LR for editing purposes, I was made aware of a plugin which allows you to view the camera focus points (and the active point) when looking at raw files in LR. It's available for both Mac and PC.

I have downloaded it and checked it against Canon's "Digital Photo Professional" (DPP) software and can confirm that the plugin works works and is accurate. So it saves me having to open DPP to check which focus point was used and where it was in the image, not that I have issues hitting focus you understand

LINK
    Last edited by ST1; 18th August 2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Smelling mistake ;-)

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Focus Point display in LR

thanks peter

Real Name
    Mark

wont install on my copy of lr 4 tried twice

Real Name
    Robin Loud

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    wont install on my copy of lr 4 tried twice
    Going by the website, it only works on Lightroom 5. They are currently working on a version for Lightroom 4 and earlier.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Interesting plug-in Peter. One thing to remember with this information is that whilst it shows the focus point used, it doesn't necessarily tell you the exact point in the image that was the point of focus. eg if you focus and re-compose before taking the shot.

Dave

I was all excited about this, then I remembered that I just use the centre point.

Real Name
    Dan

I went to download it, but the more I thought about it, the less useful it seemed to me. What would one do with that information? I don't have my camera display the AF point, but I do like that my camera remembers it, because you can set it so that one touch of the magnification button zooms at the focus point. It's a quick way to see whether you achieved focus--assuming that you have not recomposed--so you can see whether you need to reshoot. But once the image is off the camera, I don't know what I would do differently in PP having this information displayed. What am I missing?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Knowing the focus point won't help you with anything having to do with post-processing. Knowing it will only help you determine whether you focused properly in the first place. If not, the information might help you from preventing the same mistake in the future. Having said that, my post-processing software, which I've been using for years, displays the focus point and I've never used that capability.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Given that I use centre point focusing exclusively (although there might be reasons in the future to vary that) and I frequently recompose after focusing, I can't see that I would find this useful. Interesting observation though.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I was all excited about this, then I remembered that I just use the centre point.
    Me too!

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Me too!
    DOH! (but i spose its something else to play with )