Thread: Howdy from Montana

Real Name
    Ryan

Howdy from Montana

Greetings all!

I have been reviewing the tutorials and forum posts on this site for a bit now and have concluded that this site has the right mix of friendliness and expertise.

About me:

I have lived in Montana for most of my life and am hopelessly addicted to the outdoor lifestyle...I am trained formally as a Fish and Wildlife Biologist and I hold a B.S. and M.S. in the field. During my career I've worked with species ranging from snails to birds and fish, some of them threatened or endangered. Due to a recent life change I have found myself with a great deal of free time. A year ago my wife and I had a son and at the same time she took a job as a professor at Montana State University. Thus, I now find myself employed as a stay at home dad, likely for another year or so.

With all of this free time I have decided to go back to one of my earliest passions and pursue my dream to become a photographer. I do have a bit of a photo background, I took one year of a photography program at Montana State before I changed to the biology program. My father in law also has a M.A. in photography and does a good amount of business shooting concerts, weddings and landscapes, so I always have him to get feedback from. Although, he may get tired of so many questions, so I fear you may take the brunt of my queries now.

My passion is shooting wildlife and outdoor recreation such as boating and fly fishing. I am looking forward to getting feedback on my images so that I may improve my craft. I aspire to produce the quality I see some of you guys and gals producing and I can tell there is a wealth of knowledge among you all.

About my gear:

I spent the summer working on a study investigating how cattle grazing practices affect songbird populations and saved all of my pennies to purchase a Canon 7D with the 28-135 kit lens as well as a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. For software I have Photoshop CS5. I am looking to buy a starter tripod in the next couple days, my FIL recommends a used Bogen 3021 to start. Also as money allows I plan on getting some other accessories such as a monopod, remote shutter release, etc. Ultimately some more high quality lenses as well but I have more or less exhausted my budget in that respect so that is more of a long term goal.

Anyways thanks for reading, and looking forward to some new friends here.

PS Here is a little light reading from one of my last biologist jobs http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../jai.12336/pdf

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Howdy from Montana

Welcome Ryan, looking forward to seeing your images.

Real Name
    Carol

Ryan, Welcome from another Montanan! You will definitely find this site to be the best for assistance and friendliness! I'm in Helena!

Real Name
    Nick

Welcome to CiC. I am new to photography but it has been very familiarizing to talk to folks here. They can answer basically any question I have so far! It should be fun to see some of the images you can capture in wild Montana!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Welcome aboard...

Real Name
    Ryan

Thanks all for the welcomes! I'm feeling quite at home thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    Ryan, Welcome from another Montanan! You will definitely find this site to be the best for assistance and friendliness! I'm in Helena!
    Hi Carol. I love the Helena area, I used to go there a lot for work as Fish Wildlife and Parks is headquartered there. Very nice place to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    It should be fun to see some of the images you can capture in wild Montana!
    I am very lucky to live where I do...Wide open spaces with lots of wilderness and wild animals. I'll do my best to capture how awesome "Big Sky Country" truly is.

Real Name
    Carol

"Hi Carol. I love the Helena area, I used to go there a lot for work as Fish Wildlife and Parks is headquartered there. Very nice place to be!"

Ryan, I love Helena! Even better I'm on 20 acres on Hauser Lake, so very secluded and beautiful!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Ryan: do not buy a starter tripod as it is what you called it a starter. Over time you will buy 5 or more as you find they did not provide you with what you required. Instead buy a good one, if you add up what you wasted on the others you will save big time. As for FIL, Bogen is not longer taken over by Manfrotto. What I suggest it the link I am adding, it is about choosing a tripod, now I do not own one of their tripods, that said I own their L-bracket and a quick release clamp. It makes for a good read with info on what to look for.
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl...category.24/.f

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by csa mt View Post
    Ryan, I love Helena! Even better I'm on 20 acres on Hauser Lake, so very secluded and beautiful!
    Excellent, I have a good friend with a cabin there and have spent some time playing on the lake. You folks in Helena have a lot of water available to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Ryan: do not buy a starter tripod as it is what you called it a starter. Over time you will buy 5 or more as you find they did not provide you with what you required. Instead buy a good one, if you add up what you wasted on the others you will save big time. As for FIL, Bogen is not longer taken over by Manfrotto. What I suggest it the link I am adding, it is about choosing a tripod, now I do not own one of their tripods, that said I own their L-bracket and a quick release clamp. It makes for a good read with info on what to look for.
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl...category.24/.f

Cheers: Allan
    Thanks for the link Allan, I will keep your advice in mind.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Ryan:
    Welcome to CIC! Love Montana too. I made the mistake of buying the starter tripod. Read this first:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Real Name
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Ryan:
    Welcome to CIC! Love Montana too. I made the mistake of buying the starter tripod. Read this first:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
    Thanks for the welcome, the link and the advice. Have you been here before?

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Roy View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, the link and the advice. Have you been here before?
    Yes, I've been to Yellowstone several times and to Glacier/Whitefish too. Beautiful country all.