Thread: Canon Powershot G15 or G16

Real Name
    Lewis Howell

Canon Powershot G15 or G16

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase a new compact camera I really like the look of the Canon G series cameras.

Either the G15 or G16 ... are there people out there that have purchased either and could give me like/dislikes, pro's & cons etc

Or are there other cameras out there with similar spec etc

Thanks in advance

Lewis

Real Name
    John

Re: Canon Powershot G15 or G16

I have an old G7 and Canon's G range have always represented quality so you won't go far wrong. If you are not fussed about an eye level VF, Sony's R100 range have reviewed well (I,II, and III). The R100III does give you an excellent pop up EVF but at the expense of some focal length at the long end and its more expensive. The Ricoh GR might be worth considering (see a post on here for some impressive results). It doesn't have a zoom lens though nor an eye level VF but it has a larger sensor than most compacts and should have a correspondingly better noise performance at high ISO. If an eye level VF is important to you, in about the same price range, Fuji have their X 100, X200 which have also reviewed well. Avoid the X100. it had sensor problems which will probably have been corrected in current stock however, the X200 has the new XTRAN sensor which is pretty good. The X300 is about to be announced but I don't know at what price. Hope this helps

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by lewtashjosh View Post
    Either the G15 or G16 ... are there people out there that have purchased either and could give me like/dislikes, pro's & cons etc
    I have owned and shoot a G9. The Canon Powershot G series was the best of the enthusiast compacts in its day, but today it's being overshadowed by other models for enthusiasts--ones that either have larger sensors, or more features. Or both. The G series currently inhabits an odd halfway point and is less satisfying on the specs to someone who, say, also shoots an interchangeable lens system. It is a good starting place, but primarily if you plan on using additional equipment with it (say, flash gear, a cable release, or filters). Since most people get into compact digitals for size and convenience, most folks aren't necessarily willing to haul along other bits of kit unless the camera has a larger sensor. John's post mentions a few of these--although they do cost quite a bit more than the Powershot Gs do. I would also point out the Powershot G1X (and MkII) as probably being closer equivalents to the models John's mentioned.

Or are there other cameras out there with similar spec etc
    Depends on what specs you're interested in. What do you want to shoot with this camera? Why is the G series appealing to you? It doesn't look like there's a LOT of difference between the G15 and the G16 other than the G16 getting WiFi and 1080/60 video capability. And depending on what you want to shoot and your budget, and your willingness to shop used vs. new, there are other options out there that may be a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Avoid the X100. it had sensor problems which will probably have been corrected in current stock however,
    ??? The X100 has a non-xtrans sensor, but some people prize it for that reason. And a used copy is about half the price of a new X100S. Still a good purchase, especially with the continuing firmware updates out of Fuji. However, a substantially different tool from a Powershot G, especially since the lens is a prime 35/2 equivalent.

the X200 has the new XTRAN sensor which is pretty good.
    There is no X200. It is the X100S.

The X300 is is about to be announced but I don't know at what price. Hope this helps
    I'm actually hearing it called the X100T, and if it's priced like the X100S at introduction (i.e., $1300), it'll probably be about 3x the budget the OP is considering.

I was looking at getting a pocket camera recently and did consider the G15/G16. Reading various reviews, the older G15 seemed to get more praise. But eventually I went for the Fuji X20.

Those were the only cameras that made my final line up. I wanted to shoot Raw and have just simple controls, like a 'real camera' with Aperture and Shutter Priority plus manual control. And definitely a proper viewfinder.

The X20 even has that retro look, like a 1950's film camera; but that only partially influenced my decision.

So, no I haven't actually used the G15/16 myself, although I did start digital photography with an old G2.

Real Name
    John

Kathy, my apologies. I was of course referring to the X10 and X20 with the X30 on the way. But I'm sure you realised that.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Kathy, my apologies. I was of course referring to the X10 and X20 with the X30 on the way. But I'm sure you realised that.
    Actually, I didn't, so thanks for explaining. The X10/X20 are outstanding cameras, but the OVF itself was what kept it from appealing to me personally; having used a 85% coverage OVF on my G9 I never really wanna go back there again. [I have serious lust for the X100/XPro hybrid viewfinder, tho.] But I'm in a very different situation from the OP--I have a micro four-thirds mirrorless system, so my need for an enthusiast compact has diminished a great deal, and I pull out my Powershot S90 for those times I want to travel super-light.
    Last edited by inkista; 13th August 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Real Name
    John

Kathy, if your lust overcomes you, don't go for the X Pro before you look at the XT1. I never used the OVF on the X Pro. The XT1 has a superb EVF and its cheaper (not to mention the XTRAN II sensor). I've never been happier with a camera.

Real Name
    Kathy

And again, my aesthetics get in the way. I'm aware of the XT1 and its indisputable virtues, but it never stirred a heartbeat for me. I deliberately went from a G3 to a GX-7 because I've discovered I kinda loathe EVFs masquerading as prism humps, and with mft, I'm already EVF-only, and know that if I do make the jump to Fuji X it'll primarily be for the hybrid viewfinder and colors. When I rented an X100S I used the OVF about 90% of the time. And I also lust after the X100S/T more than the Pro because I ALSO want that leaf shutter; too bad I shoot more naturally with a 50 equiv. than a 35 equiv. (sigh). And yes, I know about the TCL-X100, but it then renders the X100S no longer pocketable.

Real Name
    Gary

I can't really add much too what has already been said. But, I have experience of using an earlier Canon Powershot camera and a Nikon Coolpix camera.
    I have to agree with earlier comments about 85% coverage through the viewfinder. It is either on top or pretty close to the top of being one of the most irritating things about the camera. It's a serious flaw as far as I am concerned. With what tend to be feature packed cameras similar to DSLR's not being able to trust what you see through the viewfinder is a major drawback. Personally, I have found that the macro feature is one of the standout features. It allows you to get very good quality close-ups.
    If you are just starting out then it would not be a bad place to begin. As by using one you will find out it's limitations, try workarounds and also will give you a better idea of what you actually need in a camera. If your are a beginner you could probably step into the secondhand market and pickup an earlier model which has a similar functionality.
    Other 'posters' who have already responded have already and would give better advice than I can do.

Cheers for now

Gary

Hi there,

here you can see the pros and cons of two cameras, compared specwise:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Ca...-PowerShot-G16

As you can see, there are many reasons to prefer G16, but better image quality is the main reason for me. Other similar cameras that you can consider are Sony RX100 III (expensive), Fujifilm X20 and Nikon P7800.

Here is another comparison of these 5 cameras from the same site:

http://cameradecision.com/multi-comp...-Coolpix-P7800