Thread: About Plug-in

Real Name
    John

About Plug-in

Supposedly there are some downloadable plug-ins available for Elements, LR, and Photoshop through the "help" tab, has anyone successfully loaded and used any? I see links to plug-ins that can be purchased but nothing from Adobe.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: About Plug-in

Which help tab John? on here or Adobe, i ask because im looking for a plugin for LR that adds boarders.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Which help tab John? on here or Adobe, i ask because im looking for a plugin for LR that adds boarders.
    On Adobe. In LR there is a Plug-In Manager under File tab.

I found this for LR borders. I haven't tried it yet.

http://blogs.adobe.com/phosphors/201...lightroom.html
    Last edited by Shadowman; 9th August 2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added link

I'm also looking for borders in LR, but in the Book module. Basic borders in printing are straightforward, but they don't seem to be possible in the Book module other than as a black or white vignette (added in the Develop module) with rounded corners.
    I understand the Book module originates from Blurb, but Blurb's standalone package allows borders. I like the convenience of creating a book quickly within LR, complete with automated captions etc, but I don't think I've ever seen another piece of photo output software that doesn't allow borders.

So, if someone knows of a borders plug-in, I would be very happy !

The mention of plugins made me search for a borders plugin for LR. I didn't find one, but I found this procedure recommended for linking Blurb's more versatile application to a LR collection. I haven't tried it yet.
    https://forums.adobe.com/message/5560825
    See response #2

EDIT: Aargh! On further investigation it seems that Blurb no longer provide a plugin for LR to work with its Booksmart app - because Blurb is supported by the LR Book module (which doesn't allow borders)!
    Last edited by LocalHero1953; 9th August 2014 at 12:31 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Hi Paul,

Theres one called mogrifi, i havnt tried it because you have to download some thing called image magic as well to make it work, im doing some more research but you would think something as simple as adding a boarder would be a priority for LR wouldnt you? link for mogrify below.

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com...2.php?sec=main

Thanks, Mark, I'll look at mogrifi. I suspect the LR improvement will depend on Blurb, whose s/w is the basis of the book module.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

If I understand correctly, the plug-ins are more like exporting your image from LR to plug-in?

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by HaseebM View Post
    If I understand correctly, the plug-ins are more like exporting your image from LR to plug-in?
    yes but they come under the edit in rather than export to tab and when closed save back into LR (i think)

Nope! the above is wrong, mogrify is an export plug in so they can come under both tabs..... ah well still learning!
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 9th August 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Well i took the plunge and downloaded mogrify..... so far im not impressed, it difficult to download and set up and thats to just get it to work, the interface is not intuitive, so im off to read some info on how to use it, ill let you know how i get on. meanwhile i added this boarder but i dont see it doing anything other than plain boarders.... we will see

About Plug-in

Real Name
    Mark

Well i did this with it, but there doesnt seem to be a way of curving edges or adding boarder effects, you can add as many out/inner boarders as you want and get some effects with opacity on the inner ones, adding text is a right royal pain, with no spell check and no preview to see what it looks like.... still totally unimpressed, yes its free but id rather buy something that does what i want

off to do some more reading! there must be a way of previewing before export...

About Plug-in

Real Name
    Mark

onone do a free effects plugin there are hundreds of boarder that you can create and you can see them as you do them, BUT!! no text can be added!!

Real Name
    Mark

Not to bee (sorry ! ) beaten i added the boarder in onone effects and put the text in on export in mogrigy!! win win!

About Plug-in

Real Name
    Robert

Just a few observations to add to this thread-
    In Lightroom Book Module, Choose a page layout from the "Creative" collection. Several of these page styles will automatically add a border around your image.

About Plug-in

Note-All the following will all need to create a derivative image file in addition to the original.

If you also have Photoshop there is a way to design your own creative "Borders" using any brush or filter, save as a PNG file with a fully transparent 'Image window' ( ratio to image proportions eg. 8x10) then use this image as an Identity plate in the LR Print module, Create a derivative JPG of your image with border (Identity Plate) to use in the Book Module.

About Plug-in

Two Freeware programs that can be added to Lightroom's "Edit In" external programs feature.

FotoSketcher- http://www.fotosketcher.com/ has a "Frames" function. (Not creative borders)

XnConvert http://www.xnview.com/en/ has a Borders function, but again more like 'Frames'

About Plug-in