Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teton Colors and Textures

Real Name
    Chuck

Teton Colors and Textures

The flowers in the Tetons have been beautiful for the last two summers. I have my best luck photographing them in the light that happens before sunrise. The best time seems to be just as the light is hitting the Tetons. The mix of flowers at the peak and those that are past their peak make for a nice texture.

As a result of the discussion re: Shane's post, Seascape and Seaspray, I decided to post both a color and black and white version. I would have never considered converting such a colorful to B&W. Let the fun begin.

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Teton Colors and Textures

I feel somewhat obligated to comment now that you referenced my previous thread. But let's take it a step further and talk about selective color...just kidding

Seriously though, I had no idea that you mentioned me until I clicked through and I will say that my initial reaction is a preference for the B&W image. You had some beautiful light to work with! Here are my thoughts:

The mountains in the distance somehow seem disconnected from the foreground in the first image. I'm not sure why I feel that way but it might be due to the fact that they are much less colorful than the foreground? This is mitigated for me in the B&W image maybe because we see more mist/fog in this version?

On the B&W image I wonder if you could lift the shadows just a bit in the foreground?

I will be interested to read the opinions of others.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is one of the rare situations when haze works well. In this case, its blue tones connect the distant mountains with the purple flowers. The haze looks so strong that it's interesting enough to look almost like a low-lying fog line. Yep, I disagree with Shane that the mountains seem unconnected in the color version.

The monochrome one doesn't work as well for me as the color one. That's because the purple flowers nicely anchor the composition in the color version but not in the monochrome version. To solve that issue, consider doing the following:

1. Brighten the purple flowers quite a lot.
    2. Convert using a red filter that renders those flowers brighter than anything else in the image.
    3. Adjust the tone curve so it lifts the shadows considerably.

I can show the results I'm thinking of if you like.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Chuck I wouldn't even think of converting the image to B&W, the image is nice with lovely colours. I really wonder how the mountains would look if you increased the reds in them a little bit. IMO although there is haze , the mountains need a bit stronger colors too and the image might look nicer this way. I would give it a go if it was my image

Real Name
    Ali

I agree with Shane and feel a disconnect between the foreground and background. Try lifting the shadows and brightening the foreground.

Very pretty photos, love the colors.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

This is heavenly.... really....What a beautiful place to be!!!Technically the B&W is wonderful for its contrast and distinctivenss; yet, no doubt, this is an image to remain in colors....Yes, there is a disconnectedness, but not at all discomforting....

Regards

Real Name
    Terri

I really like the color one. It is beautiful and it speaks to me, maybe because I've been trying to find such a scene myself. I see what people are saying about the disconnect, but it didn't occur to me when I looked at it. If I hadn't read their comments, I wouldn't have thought a thing about it so I'd have to see some of their tweaks to know if they would be any better.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'm trying to think what my reaction would have been if I'd seen the B & W image alone, and not the colour version. I think I would have commented upon it as a really good image with wonderful texture on the foreground foliage and a good mix of light and dark tones.

But then, having seen the colour image, it's difficult not to feel that this a scene that's about colour (which, in my opinion, is what colour photography should be about).

Which is better? Neither. They're two different images. But I do think the colour one is more of an attention-grabber.

Real Name
    Irene Eva

Lovely capture. The Tetons are truly a photographer's paradise.

Irene

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Chuck I wouldn't even think of converting the image to B&W, the image is nice with lovely colours. I really wonder how the mountains would look if you increased the reds in them a little bit. IMO although there is haze , the mountains need a bit stronger colors too and the image might look nicer this way. I would give it a go if it was my image
    My immediate thoughts.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Really nice!

What are they like in Late August/Early September? I will be out west for a run through NM to Carlsbad followed by a couple of days in Denver for meetings and then a trip on my own through Yellowstone.

I thought I would head to Green River my first day (mostly just to make distance) and then go through the Tetons to Cody and criss-cross Yellowstone for a couple of days. Current Itinerary is Denver - Green River - Cody - Bozeman - Idaho Falls - Rawlins - Denver. I think this will give me 3 to 5 hours a day driving on the point to point route with plenty of time for stops and side trips. I tend to start early and get in late on the road so I should have time along the way.

I plan to hit the Hot Springs and the Geyser area but don't usually like the places where you have too many crowds.

Any suggestions?

Real Name
    steve

Brian,

If you do get to Cody I recommend a trip to the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, it's a museum really - plenty of details on-line, but it is well worth it. There's also a mock gunfight on main street most nights around 6pm.

steve

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Well, it looks like I will miss the real gun competition there early in August. Mock Battles and re-enactments aren't really my thing. I'm likely to get there late since Mapquest shows it to be a 5 hour drive from Green River and I will be definitely be stopping along the way for a little shooting of my own.

OFF TOPIC

Brian,

If you're in Cody while they're having their rodeo, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by dabhand View Post
    Buffalo Bill Center of the West
    It has some incredibly good paintings made by native Indians.

Real Name
    Kay

Both lovely images, I like he composition as it is in Black & White, but would prefer the colour one to not have the background elements, just fill the frame with the gorgeous flowers.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Rodeos are fun but we have a couple every year in Arcadia FL just down the road. Folks don't know it but a lot of Florida is cow country.

It's just they are a little harder to find sometimes

Real Name
    Chuck

Mike, I am interested in what you would do with this image. Please post your version if you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Mike, I am interested in what you would do with this image.

Real Name
    Chuck

Shane, I appreciate your feedback. I enjoyed the discussion on your post and thought I could gain some insights using your approach.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions regarding these images. I had fun exploring a black and white rendition of an image that I thought was a about color. I found the three dominant themes in your comments: 1. disconnect of the mountains, 2. Color of the mountains, and 3. Haze , food for thought. For me this photograph was about the flowers and their color. I was trying to use the mountains as sort of a natural frame. I have another version of these flowers that have mountains in the background that are less spectacular, and hopefully are not as noticeable. As for the haze (really smoke), it is what happens often form mid summer to the first snows in the fall. One simply has to learn to deal with it. As a biologist, I try to capture the colors of nature as nearly as I can. This causes tension between capturing the light as my eye sees verses trying to modify the image to make it more attractive, but not necessarily a record of nature - scientist vs artist. Bottom line, I'm having a lot of fun dealing with my two worlds. Thanks to all of you for your stimulating comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast