Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepare Image for Canvas printing

Real Name
    Dean

Prepare Image for Canvas printing

Hi all

I was given a gift voucher for a canvas print 50cm x 100cm and it'll be my first ever canvas print and the lab is not a reputable one, so I am unsure what to do with color setting. Anyone know if I have to change the color management policies to "Convert to working RGB"; "Conver to working CMYK" or I shouldn't bother and leave them as "preserve embedded"

Dean

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Prepare Image for Canvas printing

sRGB jpeg all the way. You could ask them and if you are given a confused look, then you can be quite confident that sRGB is being used. There are a few labs out there that print TIFF files, but they are the exception, rather than the rule. On the other hand if they direct you to the ICC profile for the printer / canvas that they use, you might want to dig a bit deeper and at least soft-proof your image.

Most labs don't handle anything else and photo printers are mapped as if they are RGB, rather than CMYK devices. Canvas tends to soften the image a bit, so you might want to consider a bit more sharpness in the image too. If they could do a small test print of a full-size part of the image, that would be quite useful for your prep work too.

Real Name
    Ben

Read their website to find out which color space to use. Almost surely they will be expecting sRGB.

When you upload your file you usually get some rudimentary controls for adjusting the position and size on to the selected canvas. It would be better to do this before uploading using your favored software. You will need to do some cropping as the canvas aspect ratio is 1:2 and your file is probably 2:3. Be aware that there are canvas options for the treatment at the wrap-around edges. The one you select may affect your final aspect ratio so you need to account for that.

You may also want to uprez your image so you get a minimum of 150 dpi on the canvas. 150 dpi is somewhat arbitrary; it will depend on viewing distance and amount of detail in the image.

Real Name
    Mark

Sounds like your getting good advice, hopefully colin will see this post, i know he does a lt of canvas printing, Unfotunatley the only experience ive had has been very bad and that was with a good lab! (supposedly) the image came washed out and the wrap around the frame ruined the composition. I was so embarrassed about it, i burned it and bought my own printer.... havent tried canvass yet... maybe next time im home

Real Name
    wm c boyer

One more point...if you routinely work in ProPhoto, converting to sRGB will cause some clipping.
    You will need to do some further adjusting to correct that problem before sending it out.

Real Name
    Dean

Thanks everyone.

Sorry I should have provided more info. The image is 7000 (approx.) x 4000 (approx.) again sorry I m at work atm and don't have access to exact info. I have adjusted canvas size in Photoshop to the exact measurement of the lab image size (57.40cm x 108.20cm) to allow for bleed and composition adjustment. My monitors are fully calibrated with spyder3pro (100cdm; 5800k). My room is lit by desk lamp - with a Phillips T2 Warm white Tornado bulb- positioning behind the monitors projecting against the back and side walls so no direct light to monitors whatsoever.

I have gone through the Lab website FAQs and apart optimum recommendation of 150ppi, JPEG and sRGB colour space. I could not find any other info to prep the file (in Photoshop) before uploading to their system.

Working spaces is ok but Colour Management Policies is what I am unsure about.

I have heard that prints often come out a stop or so under. Does this hold true for canvas print as well? if this is the case, should I compensate or the lab would already aware of this issue

I have also heard that due to the nature of canvas, sharpening should be done quite aggressively for good result

Thanks

Dean
    Last edited by dragon76; 31st July 2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: extra info

Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by dragon76 View Post
    Working spaces is ok but Colour Management Policies is what I am unsure about.
    Hi, You have the working space set to sRGB - the image will be "tagged" with that.

Colour Management Policies only have an effect within your own system while using Photoshop - the Print Lab will have no knowledge of how they are set.

Hope this helps,

Roy

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Dean

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I am interested in the topic and would be glad to hear how you get on (being another Brisbanite). I've only had one canvas done (through Snapfish I think it was) and was somewhat dis-appointed in the result. You may not want to discuss the firm you are dealing with in public but I would very much appreciate a PM at some stage to let me know who you used and how you got on.

Thanks
    Dave

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Sounds like your getting good advice, hopefully colin will see this post, i know he does a lt of canvas printing,
    A lot? Printed & framed 5 yesterday - 2 today - and at least another 2 to do when I get the time Actually got a bit of RSI at the moment from hand stretching them.

OK - back to the original question. Basically, "What Manfred said". JPEG is fine fine fine. Anything other than sRGB is an open invitation for disaster. Don't worry about up-sampling - it won't make any difference unless they're particularly incompetent.

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Dean

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but I am interested in the topic and would be glad to hear how you get on (being another Brisbanite). I've only had one canvas done (through Snapfish I think it was) and was somewhat dis-appointed in the result. You may not want to discuss the firm you are dealing with in public but I would very much appreciate a PM at some stage to let me know who you used and how you got on.

Thanks
    Dave
    Sure Dave, I'll let you know about the result of the print and the firm name. Although the voucher I received is quite cheap for the canvas size so I'm not that hopeful but I'm now starting my images outputting phase so it will be a good starting point but I just want to make sure that I do everything I could from my end. Where about are you in Brisbane? Someone told me there's a place at Yeerongpilly called RGBdigital but I haven't had the chance to visit them yet. If you want to print from home then there's a place in South Brisbane called Prolab where they sell everything about Pro photographic print and they also do printing.

Cheers

Dean
    Last edited by dragon76; 1st August 2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling error

Real Name
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    sRGB jpeg all the way. You could ask them and if you are given a confused look, then you can be quite confident that sRGB is being used. There are a few labs out there that print TIFF files, but they are the exception, rather than the rule.
    Manfred

Thanks for the advice. I have another question regarding saving in JPEG. I prepared my image to be exact same size as the lab's suggestion (108.20 cm x 57.40cm) but after I saved the image in JPEG (without re-sampling) and opened it again in PS - CS6, the image size has been halved (54.10cm x 28.7cm). Is it the compression? although pixel dimension remained unchange.

Regards

Dean

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Manfred

Thanks for the advice. I have another question regarding saving in JPEG. I prepared my image to be exact same size as the lab's suggestion (108.20 cm x 57.40cm) but after I saved the image in JPEG (without re-sampling) and opened it again in PS - CS6, the image size has been halved (54.10cm x 28.7cm). Is it the compression? although pixel dimension remained unchange.

Regards

Dean
    My suspicion is that you have changed the resolution (ppi - pixels per inch) setting somewhere along the line.

No, this is not compression; that is set when you change the "quality" setting when writing the jpeg; 12 = maximum quality and 1 = lowest quality. Jpeg, by default, is a compressed image; going from 16-bit to 8-bit, if you start with RAW data is another way that jpegs are compressed.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Sure Dave, I'll let you know about the result of the print and the firm name. Although the voucher I received is quite cheap for the canvas size so I'm not that hopeful but I'm now starting my images outputting phase so it will be a good starting point but I just want to make sure that I do everything I could from my end. Where about are you in Brisbane? Someone told me there's a place at Yeerongpilly called RGBdigital but I haven't had the chance to visit them yet. If you want to print from home then there's a place in South Brisbane called Prolab where they sell everything about Pro photographic print and they also do printing.

Cheers

Dean
    Thanks for that info Dean. I'm in the western suburbs so Yeerongpilly is not far away.

Dave

Real Name
    Tony Watts

On the only occasion I have had something printed in Brisbane, I used Street's Imaging in West End. They were recommended to me and I thought the results were OK. Another place recommended is at The Gap but I have not yet tried them.

Real Name
    Dean

Hi Dean

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave, I received my canvas yesterday afternoon at my work at Chapel Hill and I ordered on the 20th of August - at around 8.30pm. I'm quite impressed considering that it's a 50cm x 100cm canvas. It was safely packed in a cart board box with a protective wrap layer. I'm very happy with the canvas. The company name is Mojopro and by the way, I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever. I just bought their special voucher to try out with my first print. I will post a picture of the canvas in natural sunlight soon. Hope this helps Cheers Dean

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Dave, I received my canvas yesterday afternoon at my work at Chapel Hill and I ordered on the 20th of August - at around 8.30pm. I'm quite impressed considering that it's a 50cm x 100cm canvas. It was safely packed in a cart board box with a protective wrap layer. I'm very happy with the canvas. The company name is Mojopro and by the way, I have no affiliation with this company whatsoever. I just bought their special voucher to try out with my first print. I will post a picture of the canvas in natural sunlight soon. Hope this helps Cheers Dean
    Thanks for getting back to me on that Dean. I may have a requirement for one soon so I'll look into the pricing from that company.

Much appreciated, Dave

Real Name
    Dean

No worries Dave, they are running Father's day special for 5 days at the moment with $25 30x45cm; $35 for 40x50;$55 for 50x75 and $85 for 75x100

Real Name
    Richard

This is a topic that can't possibly address everyone's concerns and situation with one all encompassing answer. After too many disappointing results from print shops, printing large format Giclees on canvas, I bit the bullet and bought an Epsom Pro 9900 that prints 44" width. I calibrate my dual monitors with Spyder 4 and get very good results. It took a lot of scrapped canvas and trial and error, but it has been worth the results. The only problem now is the low volume of prints I do, causes print nozzle drying and clogging. This will always be an issue due to low use.

Control the colour and IQ of your canvas prints, this is the solution I used, I purchased my own printer. As an added caveat, the canvas prints will always print darker than you see on your monitor, some trial and error adjustments by making your image on screen a couple of stops lighter will usually compensate for the screen illumination. All this extra work to get colour fidelity is something that print shop owners are not necessarily willing or capable to do.

Real Name
    Dean

Thanks for getting back to me on that Dean. I may have a requirement for one soon so I'll look into the pricing from that company.

Much appreciated, Dave

Dave

As promised, above is the photo of my first canvas

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The canvas looks great as does your gallery assistant. I take it you are pleased with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast