Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Easy Sharpening

Re: Easy Sharpening

John, I did find some online info about the 'clipping preview'. I understand a little more of what you were saying. Won't have a chance to try it out until probably after the weekend but I will try it and see how it goes.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    The Olympus mirrorless cameras show it in the viewfinder before the shot is taken Izzie. The main one is highlight clipping really as there will be scope in raw at the dark end even if that is shown as clipping. As the area that is being clipped is shown directly it's possible to compensate to get rid of all or some of it.

The big advantage mirrorless has in this area is that the camera sensor is used for metering.

The only thing to be wary of is bright shiny yellow .

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term preview. That comes up in the viewfinder after the shot is taken and gives a sort of focus check.

John
    -
    John, one day I will go back to an Olympus system. I used to have the Evolt 510 and I was so happy with it because I can preview and look at the histogram even before I press that shutter button. The other day I was just thinking that I had not touched that camera for a long time that I might as well sell my lens but reading your post and others about the Olympus I am gearing toward keeping it and perhaps research the Oly range again...

Thanks John.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    John, one day I will go back to an Olympus system. I used to have the Evolt 510 and I was so happy with it because I can preview and look at the histogram even before I press that shutter button. The other day I was just thinking that I had not touched that camera for a long time that I might as well sell my lens but reading your post and others about the Olympus I am gearing toward keeping it and perhaps research the Oly range again...

Thanks John.
    The problem with some of the 4/3 camera lenses used with an adapter on m 4/3 is that they aren't really up to the pixel count on them. In other words a dedicated m 4/3 equivalent is likely to be better. Not that this rules them out really. Reports on focusing them varies. The dpreview on the E-M1 shows some videos of that aspect. Results on the E-M5 seem to be a bit mixed. There are signs that the slower focusing ones can be ok. They have also done a firmware upgrades on the E-M1 aimed at improving this area.

The Evolt cameras were interesting as Olympus have always put a lot in them. I understand they were the 1st to add an articulated rear screen. I have an E-620, amazing really for a base line camera. A camera retailer gave me a knowing look and said that Olympus haven't actually said that they will stop making dslr's. so who knows. One thing for sure the sensor size has become more acceptable.

The area that worries me is lenses. One aspect I like is size and weight. Prices aren't too bad really either. What do they do with the pro lenses - encase them in metal so the weight goes up. The weight aspect seems to attract people. Pricing should become clearer shortly when the 40-150mm F2.8 lens comes out. Also the 300mm F4 next year. If these turn out to be fabulous money I'd guess they will have made a mistake fi they want to sell in significant numbers. Say I compared the cost of the 300mm with say a D7000 and a Tamron 150-600mm. If the 300mm alone was a lot more ??? Then why F2.8 on the other lens. Weight wise I would rather have an F4 that works fairly well wide open. M 4/3 lenses sometimes do.

Personally I would have liked to see a really good quality 100-300mm zoom at say F4. I suspect that would interest a lot of people if it worked well at 300mm.

Macro is a bit of a problem with a 60mm macro lens really as 1:1 is too close for live insects. It can be done though. I had a beef at their pet UK pro photographer about that pointing out why it should be 150mm and not F2.8 as well - no reply. Panasonic 45mm macro lens? Well at least it's a bit better than that.

Kathy mentioned birds in flight and AF. I had one session with the E-M5 in awful conditions. I didn't track any of the shots for long and AF wasn't a problem - the misty air was. Being a nut case I used close to 300mm. I should have waited until they were closer. Haven't tried the E-M1 yet but there are photo's about taken by Oly's pet pro of rally cars and the Isle of Man TT - high speed motor bike racing.

All in all I still feel the benefits outweigh the problems especially the mirrorless aspects. Maybe the amount of PP needed goes up as the sensor gets smaller. Not sure as I haven't really shot any crop of late.

John
    -

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am taking notes of all these if you do not mind -- it will be nice to have an Oly again as I am going for a visit to Oz this coming October..(my draft folder is getting full of notes from your post... I've learned a lot from you since I came back...)

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    The problem with some of the 4/3 camera lenses used with an adapter on m 4/3 is that they aren't really up to the pixel count on them. In other words a dedicated m 4/3 equivalent is likely to be better. Not that this rules them out really. Reports on focusing them varies. The dpreview on the E-M1 shows some videos of that aspect. Results on the E-M5 seem to be a bit mixed. There are signs that the slower focusing ones can be ok. They have also done a firmware upgrades on the E-M1 aimed at improving this area.

The Evolt cameras were interesting as Olympus have always put a lot in them. I understand they were the 1st to add an articulated rear screen. I have an E-620, amazing really for a base line camera. A camera retailer gave me a knowing look and said that Olympus haven't actually said that they will stop making dslr's. so who knows. One thing for sure the sensor size has become more acceptable.

The area that worries me is lenses. One aspect I like is size and weight. Prices aren't too bad really either. What do they do with the pro lenses - encase them in metal so the weight goes up. The weight aspect seems to attract people. Pricing should become clearer shortly when the 40-150mm F2.8 lens comes out. Also the 300mm F4 next year. If these turn out to be fabulous money I'd guess they will have made a mistake fi they want to sell in significant numbers. Say I compared the cost of the 300mm with say a D7000 and a Tamron 150-600mm. If the 300mm alone was a lot more ??? Then why F2.8 on the other lens. Weight wise I would rather have an F4 that works fairly well wide open. M 4/3 lenses sometimes do.

Personally I would have liked to see a really good quality 100-300mm zoom at say F4. I suspect that would interest a lot of people if it worked well at 300mm.

Macro is a bit of a problem with a 60mm macro lens really as 1:1 is too close for live insects. It can be done though. I had a beef at their pet UK pro photographer about that pointing out why it should be 150mm and not F2.8 as well - no reply. Panasonic 45mm macro lens? Well at least it's a bit better than that.

Kathy mentioned birds in flight and AF. I had one session with the E-M5 in awful conditions. I didn't track any of the shots for long and AF wasn't a problem - the misty air was. Being a nut case I used close to 300mm. I should have waited until they were closer. Haven't tried the E-M1 yet but there are photo's about taken by Oly's pet pro of rally cars and the Isle of Man TT - high speed motor bike racing.

All in all I still feel the benefits outweigh the problems especially the mirrorless aspects. Maybe the amount of PP needed goes up as the sensor gets smaller. Not sure as I haven't really shot any crop of late.

John
    -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123