Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Which option shoud I go with

Real Name
    Dennis

Which option shoud I go with

Hi All:

Here is my exercise and I need some helps from all of you:
    I would like to upgrade and keep my present camera.
    Here is my gear now:

Canon 50D
    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG
    Nikon 135mm f/2.8 manual
    Nikon 80-200mm f/4.5 manual
    Nikon Micro 55mm f/3.5 manual
    Canon FD 300mm f/5.6 manual
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 manual
    EOS-to-FD converter
    Nikon-to-EOS converter

Now I have a budget of US$5500 to buy camera equipments
    Here are my three choices:
    1) 16-35mm f/2.8L USM + 85mm f/1.2L II USM + 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    2) Canon 5D Mark II + 16-35mm f/2.8L USM + 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    3) Canon 1D Mark IV + 85mm f/1.8

Which one should I go for?
    Here are the rationales behind the above three choices:
    For choice #1: a complete focal ranges for my 50D
    For choice #2: A FF body (5DM2) but sacrifice the telezoom lens 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    For choice #3: Go for a pro-body (1DM4) but sacrifice the UWA + telezoom

Thank you in advance for your inputs

Dennis

Re: Which option shoud I go with

I really don't want to sound off-hand about this, but I find it difficult to comment on this sort of thing. I think a lot of your choice comes down to several things - a) are you a professional and need to sell your images? b) what subjects do you normally shoot? If you want to produce really good quality images for non-professional use then the 5D with better lenses sounds the best option. If you are, or want to turn professional then the 1D may be a better route - you can always get better lenses later.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

A couple of thoughts came to mind ...

1. There is probably no "right or wrong" answer - a bit like "is Nikon or Canon better", when in reality there is a huge overlap between them.

2. At the end of the day lenses make or break a shot; you'll get better results from a quality lens on a average camera than an average lens on a top-of-the-line camera.

The big difference between the 50D and 5D2 is of course crop-factor -v- full frame ... some points to ponder ...

- if you're a long shooter then crop-factor works to your advantage (if you're out shooting bears with a 400mm lens, you'll need to get a lot closer with a 5D2 than you would have to with a 50D, for the same composition) (differences in sensor resolving power ignored for now).

- for a given depth-of-field you'll need TWICE the light with the 5D2 than you would with the 50D

- if you're a wide shooter then FF works to your advantage

- if you have the right lenses then - in terms of focal length - FF or crop-factor really doesn't make a lot of difference.

From a personal perspective, if you're shooting portraiture then the EF70-200mm F2.8L IS USM is a great choice (even better on a crop-factor camera) (I use it all the time on my 1Ds3 for portraits) (Examples here, here, here, and here.) If you're into landscape then the EF16-35 F2.8L USM is indispensible (Examples here, here, here, and here.) The EF85mm F1.2L is very fast and very sharp - unfortunately - for portraiture, you have to get reasonably close for head and shoulders type shots - and if you open it up any wider than F2.8 then your depth of field is starting to get VERY thin - so apart from creative shots (which "look cool", but don't sell particularly well) you may as well just use the EF70-200 f2.8L IS USM for that focal distance (I have the EF85 F1.2L USM, and great lens that it is, I really don't use it a lot).

As an alternative, how about 5D2, EF16-35mm F2.8L USM & EF70-200 F2.8L IS USM II?

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Dennis

Hi Rob,
    I am an amateur who just wants to produce really good quality images for non-professional use. Portraits of my wife and son - Landscape pictures of places that I visit - I really appreciate your inputs

Hi Colin,
    Thank you very much for your advices, they are much more realistic than equipments' reviews. I really appriciate your comments especially on the 85mm f/1.2L lens. This is a lens decision that concerns me more than others. I would like to take better portrait photo of my family, and I had been confused on the selection of the "right" lens (for my budget). I think that I will go with your suggestion - 5DM2 + 16-35 + 70-200, with this combo, I will have a "complete" focal range since I already have the 24-70. When I need to take longer range, I will use my 50D + 70-200. When I do landscape and portrait will use the 5DM2.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by blueskyoveraquatic View Post
    Hi Rob,
    I am an amateur who just wants to produce really good quality images for non-professional use. Portraits of my wife and son - Landscape pictures of places that I visit - I really appreciate your inputs
    You say portraits, what about lighting (flash-guns or studio lights)? You will improve the quality of portraits considerably with some decent lights. Is that in your budget?

Real Name
    Dennis

Hi Rob,
    Right now I am thinking about this: http://www.adorama.com/WEPB5002LSK.html and this: http://www.amazon.com/Savage-Port-a-...2&sr=8-1-fkmr1

What do you think?

Dennis