Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brussels

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Brussels

These are a few shots of Brussels taken during our recent European excursion - and what a lovely city it is.

The first is the Grand Place at night (taken with a 10mm focal length on a 1.6x crop camera). The buildings on the right were unfortunately being re-furbished but at least there were fake facades in front of the scaffolding. I tried cropping them out but I felt the image lost some of it's "wide angle" appeal.

The second shot is one of the beautiful gilded buildings in the Grand Place.

The third is a shot looking down towards the city centre from the Royal Palace area and the fourth is a small square called "Jardin du Petit Sablon".

Comments welcome

Dave

Brussels

Brussels

Brussels

Brussels

Real Name
    Nick

Re: Brussels

Much more beautiful city than most of them here in the U.S. (as far as I would know). It looks like the shooting and/or PP was done well too.

Real Name
    John

Great shots, to be able to capture movement and structure in low light is quite the accomplishment.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

These photos make me want to go there. Well done!

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

As Nick pointed out the PP is very good and the sharpening is bang on for the size I am viewing at. Excellent.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

These are beautiful sharp pictures showing the buildings well. I was there a couple of years ago and don't remember them looking so good. For me the highlights of Brussels were the musical instruments museum and the quality of the bread.

Real Name
    Dan

very nice images. My one suggestion is that if the building with the gold front in image 2 is not in fact curved, you might want to do some perspective correction in postprocessing. Something as simple as applying the canned lens correction in LR might be enough.

Real Name
    Terry

Great stuff Dave.

However, I am unable to hide my disappointment of not seeing Manneken Pis!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Four uniquely different and beautiful images of Brussels, Dave. Very well captured and presented. I particularly like the accent lighting, reflections off the cobblestones, and how the evening sky complements the buildings in the first one. A top-notch composition!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Beautiful shots worthy of a beautiful place.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful! (and full of memories for me) I especially love the 1st image for the composition, incredible detail and gorgeous light. (and also #2)

Real Name
    Nandakumar

very impressive set of images

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks very much for your comments Nick, John, Mike, L.Paul, Tony, Dan, Terry, Frank, Issie, Christina, and Nadakumar.

Interesting point about the building curvature Dan. I'm not sure but I think the two sides sections are at a slight angle to the centre section but I'll have a look at some other photos to see if they show anything more definite.

Terry I certainly won't be posting any shots of Manneken Pis!

I hope they are good memories Christina !

Dave

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Dave, it looks to me too that the building is not flat at the front. The left hand wing seems to be at a different angle to the middle and right hand wing, judging by the kink in the lines at the top of the building. I thought at first that it might be lens distortion but the lines look straight except at the one point.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    Dave, it looks to me too that the building is not flat at the front. The left hand wing seems to be at a different angle to the middle and right hand wing, judging by the kink in the lines at the top of the building. I thought at first that it might be lens distortion but the lines look straight except at the one point.
    Tony I had a look on Google Earth and the building is not flat across the front.

By the way I didn't get to see the musical instruments museum but I did have some of their nice bread, and some Stella Artois of course

Dave

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Tony I had a look on Google Earth and the building is not flat across the front.

By the way I didn't get to see the musical instruments museum but I did have some of their nice bread, and some Stella Artois of course

Dave
    If the wind is strong when using a long string line it is easy to end up with a curve - it can happen to even the best builder.... either that or too much Stella Artois......

Real Name
    Grahame

Very nice series Dave and No 1 is outstanding with that lighting and sky.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thank you Grahame. Actually I just noticed that there is a used Coke can in the foreground of the paving of the first shot. Very careless of me - I should have either removed it physically or by cloning

The square was quite busy that night because Belgium has just won their first World Cup game and the locals were out celebrating.

Dave

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Thank you Grahame. Actually I just noticed that there is a used Coke can in the foreground of the paving of the first shot. Very careless of me - I should have either removed it physically or by cloning

The square was quite busy that night because Belgium has just won their first World Cup game and the locals were out celebrating.

Dave
    I had not noticed the coke can but what struck me was the variation in movement of the people with the 4 second exposure where some must have been motionless for all that time.

Grahame

Real Name
    Zak

I now want to visit Brussels.....Very nice images.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast