Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bit Depth and Color Spaces

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Bit Depth and Color Spaces

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    But what about printing, isnt this gamut lark just a monitor (sorry display screen ) thing, will it make any difference which space you work in for printing?
    I do most of my own printing on my Epson 3880, so I use AdobeRGB for that work.

When I use a commercial printer, most of them look at you with a blank stare when you ask them which colour space they use; so I assume that sRGB is what I am going to get. Some of them will give you their ICC profiles for their printers / paper, so that helps (I don't soft proof my own prints, but I do check for clipping when I send out to commercial printers).

Real Name
    Mark

Now im slightly lost again, i too use a 3800 and it does all of my printing at the moment so ill not worry about external printers for now

I print from Lght room but i cant find anything in the output settings for a colour space.

I use custom icc proifiles for the ink /paper combinations

For colour work i choose the profile in LR and let LR manage the colour for B&W i turn that off and let the printer manage it all I do this because ive been advised "thats the way to do it"

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    I print from Lght room but i cant find anything in the output settings for a colour space.
    There are no output settings; as you are using Lightroom for printing, it will take care of all the heavy lifting.

The issue with third party printers is that you have to supply a jpeg file to them (there are a very few that can handle TIFF too). If the jpeg is in any colour space other than sRGB, the printers will assume it is sRGB and you are going to get a print that really doesn't look that good. They don't bother checking the colour space data embedded in the file that you have sent to be printed.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The issue with third party printers is that you have to supply a jpeg file to them (there are a very few that can handle TIFF too). If the jpeg is in any colour space other than sRGB, the printers will assume it is sRGB and you are going to get a print that really doesn't look that good. They don't bother checking the colour space data embedded in the file that you have sent to be printed.
    this is why i bought my own printer, i was having very little luck with external ones.

Ive looked into LR and the only colour space you can use within that is prophoto so that is what i will set PS to when i figure out how! ive played with it but when i try it says that the settings are not synchronized at which point i loose my bottle and cancel it im just wading through my dummies book for PS im sure it will get to the relevant section eventually.

Thanks again for your help

Real Name
    Allan Short

Mark I believe that if you export from LR to Photoshop, it will not change as Photoshop does not care what colour space is used, once finished in Photoshop you hand it back to LR it is still in the colour space that is was originally.
    Now if you open a RAW file in Photoshop, ACR will open up, under the image is a line of text I believe is in purple, click on it and it will take you into ACR settings so you can set it up the way you want. Once done it will always be the same until you go back in an change it.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    Mark

thanks Alan ill try that.

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

Having read (passages of) this thread with interest, I note the LAB color space hasn't popped up: do you use it in PS?
    I ask because I find it quite useful, even though you cannot print from it.

Lukas

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lukaswerth View Post
    Having read (passages of) this thread with interest, I note the LAB color space hasn't popped up: do you use it in PS?
    I ask because I find it quite useful, even though you cannot print from it.

Lukas
    Yes, ACR lets you open a file as LAB.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123