Thread: Profile - Old Sidama Man - Southern Ethiopia Street Photography

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Profile - Old Sidama Man - Southern Ethiopia Street Photography

This is a profile of the old man I had previously posted, where he was walking toward me. I'm still playing around with the monochrome conversions, seeing how differnet approaches work. I think I am going to have to pop my polarizer on for these types of shots; the glare off the skin is hard to control and rework in post.

Profile - Old Sidama Man - Southern Ethiopia Street Photography

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Profile - Old Sidama Man - Southern Ethiopia Street Photography

Manfred, nice capture.

Bruce

Real Name
    Rob Castro

I think you did a good job on the B&W conversion, Manfred. If it were up to me I would have darkened and applied more contrast on the background. But that would be me. As it is, it is fine. More than fine actually. I know you also use Silver Efex rPro 2. Have you played around with using with using different layers of presets in Silver Efex 2, and blending it using mask layers and Blendif? As for the context, I am not sure if I am too keen about it. I feel like something is missing. Please don't be offended. For me, the image just doesn't move me as much compared to your other images.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Bruce

Rob - I think the issue is more the profile shot, rather than anything else. It's not a standard shot for me and it wasn't quite working in the coloured version, so I thought that a B&W conversion might improve the shot. I find that it did, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I actually use three different tools for my conversions; right now I am playing around with Silver Efex. but I also use DxO Filmpack 4 as well as doing manual conversions and tweaking the individual sliders for the different colour channels.

I'm working on another set right now, and I'm quite pleased with it. It was taken in the tribal area (nomadic tribes) rather than in a village of one of the main ethnic groups, and I was never happy with the colour version. The setting and lighting were poor and I did not have my flash along, so was not able to use fill flash. I should be putting it up later today.

Real Name
    Rob Castro

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Thanks Bruce

Rob - I think the issue is more the profile shot, rather than anything else. It's not a standard shot for me and it wasn't quite working in the coloured version, so I thought that a B&W conversion might improve the shot. I find that it did, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. I actually use three different tools for my conversions; right now I am playing around with Silver Efex. but I also use DxO Filmpack 4 as well as doing manual conversions and tweaking the individual sliders for the different colour channels.

I'm working on another set right now, and I'm quite pleased with it. It was taken in the tribal area (nomadic tribes) rather than in a village of one of the main ethnic groups, and I was never happy with the colour version. The setting and lighting were poor and I did not have my flash along, so was not able to use fill flash. I should be putting it up later today.
    Yes, I think it is difficult to make a compelling image shot in profile. Perhaps, that is why it is used in mug shots :-) Although I've seen great photographers have shot profiles with excellent results. I think of Greg Heisler who is one of my favorite portrait photographers.

I feel that B&W are always best in people shot. But don't take my word for it - after all I'm partially color blind.

Looking forward to your next post.

Real Name
    Kay

It is indeed an interesting perspective that we don't usually see.
    A difficult processing challenge done well I think.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by juznobsrvr View Post
    I feel that B&W are always best in people shot. But don't take my word for it - after all I'm partially color blind.
    Hey - me too!

Quote Originally Posted by juznobsrvr View Post
    I think of Greg Heisler who is one of my favorite portrait photographers.
    I hadn't known this photographer's work. Wonderful stuff.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I wonder if the issue is that the camera is slightly behind the subject rather than strictly to the side. Regardless, I'm eager to see your next series of photos.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Manfred I like the image and after looking at Greg Heisler's work I agree with Mike . I think the position of your camera makes the image less powerful.