Thread: Mac Book Pro / Photoshop Elements 9

Real Name
    Irene Eva

Mac Book Pro / Photoshop Elements 9

Photoshop Elements 9 is running very sluggish on my Mac. Is it so for you other Mac users?

Irene

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Mac Book Pro / Photoshop Elements 9

Software running too slowly is usually indicative of not having enought memory (RAM) on your machine. Close all other programs running to see if that makes any difference and only open one image file at a time. If you use a lot of layers in your edits, they can chew up a fair amount of resources as well.

Real Name
    Irene Eva

Thanks Manfred, I will look into that.

Irene

Real Name
    Hendrik

As Manfred says, this is typically a memory issue. You can monitor memory usage quite easily. Drag Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) to your dock. Launch Activity Monitor. Then from the menu choose View/Dock Icon/Show Memory Usage. From then on you will have a memory usage pie chart displayed in your dock. If you leave Activity Monitor running, the pie chart will appear as Activity Monitor's icon in the display of open apps when using cmd-tab or f3 to change apps.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

If you are not using the max Ram that you can, I would buy the needed memory. It will speed up everything. Make sure you buy the max amount which might be 16gb. You have to replace all your existing memory not just add more. There are also some preference options in Elements that will allow you to speed up the processing of the images if you like.