Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extention tubes

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: Extention tubes

even Chauncey's....
    Finally got my stuff back and it seems to work as desired. Here is the camera/lens support that helps
    with unsupported weight using an exaggerated example for demonstration purposes...mounted on
    my new handy-dandy, work in progress, mobile shooting cart.
    I would normally use a 1Ds3, extension tubes, and a 180 macro lens with the support.

FYI...I really do like using the Manfrotto video head.

Extention tubes

Real Name
    J stands for John

Mark ... skipping through the posts my tuppence worth is as follows .... if you are a relative old timer then you may already have a standard lens [ 50mm from film days ] and since it has an aperture ring it can be used with the cheap extension tube sets. If you only have current lenses then you need the more expensive tubes with electrical connections. They may default to wide open which is fine to focus but not for the shot.

Extension tubes work equally well, or equally badly, with lens of any focal length .... so the typical 55<65 mm set brings you in very close with say a 50mm lens but may be dissapointing with a longer lens. When I set up my Canon APS-C with my 135mm lens and using a tube set as well as a bellows I still barely got 1:1. and that was with 230mm of extension.
    Extention tubes
    Whereas using my SLR for a test set-up ... about 120mm extension for a 25mm reversed lens
    Extention tubes

Whereas the use of a long lens is good to keep you away from the subject, my preference was to use a moderate close-up lens [two dioptre] with some thing like a 280 <430 lens, the point is that tubes are a form of extension and to get 1:1 you need 'double extension' ... so the 50mm needs 50mm and the 135mm needs 135mm of extension. Note ... not quite true as that statement ignores the focusing ability of the lens which means you need less extension

I came a gutzer recently when I got myself a 4 dioptre [alleged] B+W Schneider lens and it sadly isn't as good as my 2 dioptre and my auto extension tubes bought at the same time [ moreorless] give a vastely better and satisfactory result on a quick and nasty play with my 14-140 zoom on the kitchen bench
    Cannot find the file but my 50mm SLR lens used with an extension tube set [65mm] on my MFT gave me a 10mm subject filling the 17mm across sensor. [That was tubes plus a M42-MFT adaptor]

Another wrinkle here is a 50mm lens [ 20 dioptre ] used with a 280 AoV lens for a familiar subject.
    Extention tubes
    You have to be a PhotoNut and model engineer to do such things ... though they can be bought [ www.SRB-Griturn.com]

Real Name
    Mark

A lot to take in there John! (seems to be the morning for it on here!) unfortunately im back at work and can only work with the gear ive got with me (and i may not even get any shore leave any way) i do have a 50mm f1.4 D lens but not with me and certainly no adapter ring to reverse it.

Ill do some reading and get the bits when i get home (more gear.... wonder how i can sneak it past the wife??? )

Real Name
    J stands for John

The reason for the engineering was that the Nikon 5700 has a delicate tromboning lens which I doubt would support anything other than a filter or regular CU lens so I enjoyed 'my interest' by making the lens holder .... with a stronger DSLR prime the reversing ring would work fine I am sure ... I hang my TCON x1.7 tele adaptor on the end of my 14-140 Lumix which though tromboning seems stronger than the Nikon bridge. The Nikon cost me ten years ago about three times what the Lumix did

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Grahame where did you get those diffuser panels?
    Mark, that's a home made diffuser unit for macro that I can fit onto the flash when it's mounted on camera or on a bracket at the side.

For the diffusion material I originally used thin foam packing (as seen) but have since replaced with cooking paper, I believe it's also called grease proof paper. I have a CAD drawing of it if you are interested, made from two bits of card with some glue

I have a herd of these diffusers now of different designs to also fit the SR200s up front when using max tube extensions.

Grahame

Real Name
    Dan

you can also google "coke can diffuser macro" (without the quotes) for instructions for constructing a diffuser out of two soda cans. That is what I have. I have played with various diffusing materials. I just rebuilt it this week with two sheets of baking parchment paper and (on the outside) one sheet of Manfrotto white diffusing plastic.

Real Name
    John

There is some one on ebay uk who will sell you 1.5mm opal perspex that diffusers can be cut from. I'd have preferred to find some 1mm but 1.5mm will have to do. It's nearly as efficient as opal flashed glass and lets more light through - well the 1mm does. I thnk it's 50-60% on the 1.5mm, the listing mentions it.

Nikon sell a lens attachment that allows 2 flash guns to be attached to the end of the lens. I don't think that the guns to go with them are all that powerful but could be used as a guide for selecting something small, wireless and cheaper and attaching to a lens hood directly diy.

My rig was too simple to get any comments. Next step is to diffuse it and probably boost the light output as well.

Extention tubes

There is plenty of scope for doing similar things with flash guns especially the tilt head types where there is probably only a few wires going to the head and very little in it other than the tube and maybe a capacitor.. The only way to find out is to take one apart and look. A saw maybe needed on small light weight ones to separate the bits so one half can be left on the camera or what ever.

I've bought some real black branded Velco as well - it's very grippy stuff. Can't leave it white.

John
    -

Real Name
    Claudio

+1 to kenko ext tubes and i use my Tamron 90mm macro with it...Chauncey..that is one HELL of a setup u got there!!! im Jealous!!

I agree , it can be overkill,(much like Chaunceys setup ) but its alot of fun. I use a home made flash diffuser that sits on my sb 910 and thats on board.

I just take images of people that gimme funny looks

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Chauncey..that is one HELL of a setup u got there!!!
    Ya buy gear hoping that ya can take better pictures...it don't work though.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Ya buy gear hoping that ya can take better pictures...it don't work though.
    +1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12