Thread: PC Mag selection of Photo Editors

Real Name
    Dave

Re: PC Mag selection of Photo Editors

Always interesting to read stuff, but I do wonder whether a budding photographer would turn to a pc mag to find software. After all, they could ask here and get an unbiased consensus

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Always interesting to read stuff, but I do wonder whether a budding photographer would turn to a pc mag to find software. After all, they could ask here and get an unbiased consensus

Real Name
    wm c boyer

they could ask here and get an unbiased consensus
    unbiased consensus
    consensus
    Aah, when, pray tell...have we ever had a consensus about anything, Mr "tongue-in-cheek" guy?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Of course, DxO Optics Pro and Capture 1 are primarily marketed as RAW converters with very limited editing abilities (i.e. direct competitors to ACR) clearly tells me that the editors of PC magazine clearly do not have a handle on photography and photo editing in general.

I think that this should make us rather suspicious of their other software reviews??

Real Name
    Dave

Just for interest I Googled the author. He is their lead software reviewer. I don't know that he has any photographer pretensions.

I'd like to hear the editor's definition of a Photo Editor. To me it seems like he thinks cataloging is editing.

Real Name
    Richard

I am always wary of "reviews" both of software and of hardware.

The value of a review "FOR ME PERSONALLY" depends on several important criteria...

1. The in-depth knowledge of the reviewer about the hardware and software.
    2. Any prejudices held by the reviewer due to advertising and other concerns
    3. The uses to which the reviewer would plan for the software/hardware ie: (in this case) does the reviewer plan to edit imagery?
    4. How much value does the reviewer place on various parameters

An Example of a review which doesn't fit my needs for hardware reviews is snapshot.com

I say the worst "FOR MY NEEDS" because the value the reviewers place on some parameters just doesn't fit my ways of using the products reviewed...

As an example when reviewing the 70D vs. the 7D:

1. They put "touchscreen less buttons" as a PLUS. This is not only grammatically incorrect (correct grammar would be "fewer" not "less" buttons) but is diametrically opposed to my needs. The absence of buttons and the need to use a touch screen is a negative factor for me....
    2. In camera HDR is listed as a plus when I would never use that capability preferring to do my HDR in post processing...
    3. Flip-out screen is listed as a plus, I personally don't like flip out screens
    4. Movie Continuous Focus - I don't shoot video with my DSLR cameras so this would be no use for me..

So does PC MAG mean anything to me...? Probably not since I am quite happy with my Photoshot CS6, especially with NIK and Perfect Photo Suite plug-ins....

Does PC MAG review have any value for other photographers? I don't have the foggiest idea!!!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 14th July 2014 at 05:58 PM.