Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Backpack

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Camera Backpack

Mike, thanks for the explanation. I will check the B&H site.

Bruce

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Can anyone offer a recommendation for a camera back pack that had room for my D7000 with a lens attached and two additional lenses (nothing long). Preferably it will also have some means of attaching the tripod. I am looking at this one but think it might be a tad small (although I would prefer it to be as compact as possible)
    Are there any features in a camera bag that you find invaluable that aren't incorporated into this one?
    I think that you have you consider: the use; the carriage; and the contents.

The use: If you want compact and the use is simply as a transport package for the gear and when you get to the destination you will set up for the gig, then a back pack is a very good option. On the other hand if you want transport and shooting on the way, then take a serious look at a “slingshot” style bag.

The carriage: If you are hiking, climbing, rugged terrain, etc: -then BALANCE, COMFORT and FIT are REALLY important and in this regard I specifically suggest that you look really closely at the POSITIONING of the TRIPOD ties and foot-sock for it such that the Tripod will create a well balanced load.

The contents: you want one body and three lenses – then I suggest that you get a bag which has capacity for those items PLUS one more: Lens or Body or Flash and that (for the time being empty) space is at the TOP of the bag so that your present load is balanced and comfortable to carry.

I have three pack-packs: two would be way too large for what you describe that you want, but these images and the commentary illustrating some of the points above might be of assistance to you.

This is the slingshot style bag (LowePro Slingshot 202AW); note that the main area can carry the four items that you describe, yet there is a top pocket for another lens flash or body – in this image there is a Canon PowerShot used as a back up camera:
    Camera Backpack

Here is another view:
    Camera Backpack

This slingshot bag sits with a sling across one shoulder and I find it NOT suitable for arduous hiking or climbing, but positively one of the quickest and best bags for travelling with a light weight kit and shooting on the hop.

The TRIPOD attaches to the SIDE of this bag. (The side which is out of view in both images). I rarely carry a tripod with this bag, it is somewhat ‘balanced’ with a tripod on it - but my tripods tend to be toward the “heavy/big” and the bag is not really suited to that carriage for a day.

I travel with a monopod attached on this bag sometimes - and that is no problem for me (Monopod = Manfrotto 679B and maybe a 486 ball head)

This Slingshot bag fits on the floor and under the seat in front, when travelling in a domestic or international aircraft

This bag is way bigger than what you describe that you want but the image is to show what I mean about the tripod’s position being part of a balanced load.
    The tripod head is removed for better balance and the body of the water bottle is secured to the bag such that it does not flop about:
    Camera Backpack

WW

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you all for the great information for consideration. Mike I took a look at the bag you use and it seems that there is no place for a tripod...do you carry that separately or is there a means to attach it to the bag?

Also, I do need space for other stuff. Being of the female persuasion I don't usually carry my wallet, keys, etc. on my person so I want a bag that will accommodate non-photographic stuff as well. The Velocity doesn't seem to have that space.

Thanks again!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Shane,

I agree that the Velocity series of models wouldn't be a good fit for you if you're not comfortable putting the wallet and other personal stuff in a case that hangs on the outside of the bag. I don't know if the modular system that I rave about is used with any of Tamrac's other models that might your needs better.

The few times that I carry a tripod while hiking I either carry it in a sling bag hanging over one shoulder or I carry it in one hand. During short walks, I carry it in my hand. The sling bag comes in handy for storing the hiking sticks along with the tripod on airplanes; the hiking sticks are usually too long to fit in a suitcase and not allowed to carry on board the plane.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 9th July 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Real Name
    Terri

Hi Shane,
    I have the Lowepro Fastpack 350 that is slightly larger than the one you show. I am now looking for a different one. Like Mike, I always shared the load with my husband on long hikes. The camera was usually around my neck (with a good cross strap system) and one of us carried the tripod and the other the pack and we switched out frequently. I had never tried carrying everything myself until a few weeks ago. The hike was only a little over a mile but it was a steep ascent. I had my camera/lens in the pack rather than around my neck and it felt very heavy. I think the last time I hiked with camera in pack, it was my older, lighter camera with no battery grip and kit lenses. My current setup is much heavier overall.

That's a long story to say that I'm looking at ways to lighten the load and want to point out that the weight of the pack itself can make a difference as everything adds up. My pack is about 4.2 lbs where the one you are considering is 2.5. I am also planning to seriously look at the sling packs because I did find it annoying to have to take the pack off and find a place to set it down to get the camera out. Also, like a purse, the bigger it is, the more stuff you think you need to put in it. I cannot, on my own, expect to carry every piece of gear to be ready for every type of scenario I might photograph.

As far as the extra stuff us women carry, I've gotten in the habit of wearing a vest found at a sporting goods store that has inner zipper pockets for the essentials. On short walks away from the car, the vest can actually carry all I want from extra batteries and cards to an extra lens. I know you are in a warm climate but I wear it in Texas. If it is absolutely too hot to wear the vest, I have a pouch I used to wear on the motorcycle that clips to my belt loops that holds my driver's license, cash, cc and keys. That keeps those things on my person rather than in the pack that may be laying on the ground away from me.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by terrib View Post
    I had my camera/lens in the pack rather than around my neck and it felt very heavy.
    That's always my experience. I would think it would feel heavier to be around my neck and shoulder but not so.

Also, like a purse, the bigger it is, the more stuff you think you need to put in it.
    I think that's a function of the female genes taking over.

As far as the extra stuff us women carry...
    Question: Why don't women simply wear a pear of jeans and put the keys in one pocket, the cash (what little you need) and passport (when it's appropriate) in another pocket, and the wallet in another pocket?

Answer: Men don't understand, as demonstrated by the fact that it is a man who asked that question.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Question: Why don't women simply wear a pear of jeans and put the keys in one pocket, the cash (what little you need) and passport (when it's appropriate) in another pocket, and the wallet in another pocket?

Answer: Men don't understand, as demonstrated by the fact that it is a man who asked that question.
    Obviously you've never worn a pair of women's jeans. The pockets on women's jeans are not designed like yours. I sometimes put some of those things in my pant pockets but it's much more comfortable in a vest. Bending and sitting with that stuff in pockets is not at all comfortable.

Real Name
    Shane

We are definitely in the minority around here Terri in terms of the whole jeans thing but your interaction with Mike made me chuckle and I appreciate your insights.

The idea of a sling bag of some sort is definitely appealing due to the ability to access gear without taking a pack off. I am on my own most of the time as well so have to carry everything myself. I'm not usually walking great distances but the set up that I currently have isn't very protective and I find carrying the tripod separately a bit of a juggling act sometimes not to mention the weight of everything.

Thanks again to everyone for your insights.

Real Name
    Adrian

I use this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Phot..._sim_sbs_sg_11

It is excellent. However, not suitable for climbing or very arduous hiking as for that I find a frame that keeps it off your back aids comfort. This Lowepro has been all over the world and is as good as new. Easy enough to strap a small carbon tripod to it, though I rarely do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12