Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Roost Pano

Real Name
    Steve

Roost Pano

Here is a pano of the view i have from my tree stand. I am on the edge of a flat , 35 feet in a tree, overlooking the roost trees. There are two more roost trees to the left, unseen. The roost tree in front is about 50 yards away. The herons will often fly between me and the roost tree, circle around a bit, and then land in the tree.

This was shot free hand(monopod) in the morning, with a canon 35mm f/1.4L at f/8----6 shots.

When the nests are full, i plan on shooting one with the 300 of just the roost tree, from the ground on a tripod. Should make an awesome shot if it works.

Roost Pano

Re: Roost Pano

Cool shot. You may have mentioned this already, but I missed it if you did... Where were these taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    When the nests are full, i plan on shooting one with the 300 of just the roost tree, from the ground on a tripod. Should make an awesome shot if it works.
    I hope you're not right UNDER the tree. If so, better take an umbrella!

Real Name
    Steve

The pano(as well as the other shots) was taken freehand , 35 feet up a tree above the roost tree. The tree i'm in, is about 50 yards from the roost..

I have a place on the ground about 10 yards farther back. I have a clearing that will give me a little more up angle so the building won't be in the frame. They are just laying eggs, so soon all the nests will be full. I hope to get a pano of the full tree at sunrise and sunset, with all the nest full of herons. It will prob. take about 12 or 15 shots with the 300 to get everything in . It will be a challenge to get it stitched together , with the herons moving all the time. It will be a very cool shot if i can pull it off though.

Yes, it certainly will be a challenge. Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing it.