Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm impressed with B&H photo

Real Name
    Brian

I'm impressed with B&H photo

I must say, I am a bit skeptical ordering something online from a new source, but, especially when the item you want is one of the most counterfeited item in the photography world. I am in need of a new battery for my Canon 5D2 and want an OEM battery. Problem is there are a LOT of close look alikes out there and I don't want to get ripped off. I got online and saw a battery at B&H with free shipping. Had to contact them and make sure it was a legit OEM one to which they replied it was. So, I placed my order last Sunday with "expedited free shipping". Got an email Monday morning with a delivery date of 7/3. Wow, that's fast considering they are on the east coast and I'm on the west. Got another email on 7/2 saying delivery date was 7/2! I got home from work and there was a package sitting at my front door. Completely surprised and happy with the all around experience. Got my OEM battery AND I got it a day earlier than expected. How awesome is THAT? I will be buying from them again. Two thumbs up to B&H.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: I'm impressed with B&H photo

The really good news is that if someone had accidentally shipped the wrong battery even though it looked like the right battery, B&H would have happily resolved the situation for you. They're a top-notch organization and they honor they're return policy to a tee, which explains why I have been using them for years and years.

Real Name
    Dan

I've purchased most of my gear from B&H for the past 6 or 7 years. I have had consistently good experiences with them. They are completely trustworthy and, as Mike wrote, stand behind everything they sell. Mostly I order from the web, but when I have gone to the store or called them, everyone I have dealt with has been pleasant and helpful.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Ditto!!!

Real Name
    David

B&H is where I go when needing whatever they sell. I've bought several cameras, lenses and DVD player. They are first class. Just bought a nice 17-40L from them, awesome.
    David

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I even used to buy bulk film and spools from them in the good old days and have always had great service from them even to this remote part of the world.

Real Name
    Nick

I'd like to buy from designated stores for photography and electronics, B&H will even help you pick your stuff with live chat, but they just don't match prices you can get elsewhere.

Real Name
    Phil Page

I've had nothing but good experiences with them in the past - I'd like to hear from people in the UK who've used them though. Does the import tax you pay on cleared items still equate to a better deal on buying locally?

I've been mainly using them for accessories and lenses though. Any camera bodies or any lenses with VR was generally not bought from B&H due to not having local warranty support if anything went wrong, but for filters and prime lenses they were good value.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I'd like to hear from people in the UK who've used them though. Does the import tax you pay on cleared items still equate to a better deal on buying locally?
    You just get a friend who's going to New York for a shopping trip and who has some spare capacity in their suitcase coming home! That's how I got my Singh Ray Vari ND. But don't tell the Revenue & Customs folks!

Re Nick's comment about not matching price. The thing is that if you are paying slightly more, then you're paying for the reliability, trustworthiness and quality of service that comes from one of the very best companies that exists in the field.

For me (and there will be other companies that others have used) the two in the UK that come into the same category are WEX (formerly Warehouse Express) and Castle Cameras based in Bournemouth.

If I'm going to be spending what, for me, are quite large amounts of money, I want to do it with people I know are straight-down-the-line.

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

B&H has been high on my list for purchasing equipment for about a year or so now. I've been thrilled with them from day one! Glad that others have the same experience.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    I've had nothing but good experiences with them in the past - I'd like to hear from people in the UK who've used them though. Does the import tax you pay on cleared items still equate to a better deal on buying locally?

I've been mainly using them for accessories and lenses though. Any camera bodies or any lenses with VR was generally not bought from B&H due to not having local warranty support if anything went wrong, but for filters and prime lenses they were good value.
    I often buy things from outside of the EU. If the sellers are in the EU tax is paid at source so no extra into the UK. That I suspect is one of the reasons some are against the EU.

From elsewhere we have this thing called VAT which stands for value added tax. Cynically this means a retailer or importer imports things and charges 20% tax. There are some about that actually make things though so really do add value. It was introduced a long time ago now and aimed at a first step away from income based taxation. At 8% then.

So essentially when we import things we have to pay 20% VAT plus an additional import duty on certain things that is low and has been around for some time. This is why price wise in shops etc GBP are often loosely equivalent to USD as the importers have to pay VAT when they import as does the shop that sells it when they buy it and also charge it when they sell. The shop however may be able to claim back the VAT paid to the importer. I've never run a business but believe they can so just have to carry the finance for a while.

Importing is just a case of doing the sums and seeing if it's worth while. The tax free limit was £18 and had been for such a long time that I suspect it aught to be more like £50 now but instead it seems it's been reduced to £15 recently mainly due to lobbyists. Places like the Channel Isles have also had limitations placed on them in case companies move there to avoid the tax loops.

The catch with low value items is the charges made for collecting the tax. I have been charged up to £13 for that even when paid via a debit card on the web.

Often it's better to use well established small time importers for higher value items rather than import. There are several in the UK on ebay for instance and few complaints about them. Buying privately is a little more difficult as problems might occur past the time limit ebay and paypal place on disputes. Some sellers will string people along until these time limits are past.

Items can be cheaper elsewhere in Europe at times and as I see things a Europe wide guarantee is just that.

John
    -

Trying to find the UK customs tax rate on any particular item you buy outside the EU is tough going. I was thinking about buying a used lens from www.kevincameras.com, simply because they had by far the best selection readily available on line (I didn't buy it, so can't vouch for their service). Eventually I tracked down the customs tax rate as being a few percent - not enough to discourage me, but it was still difficult to be sure I had the right rate. VAT at 20% obviously adds a big sum, but that is predictable. I think in most cases UK buyers would not pay US sales tax, which partly offsets VAT.

In the end my main concern would be if I had to return an item, so, from this side of the water, comments on reputable dealers like B&H are useful, though I don't see the value in buying new photographic stuff from the US for my needs.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    You just get a friend who's going to New York for a shopping trip and who has some spare capacity in their suitcase coming home!
    Enough $$$ for a certain German camera body would be enough to test levels of friendship!

Especially if they're going for a shopping trip!
    Last edited by dubaiphil; 15th July 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by LocalHero1953 View Post
    Trying to find the UK customs tax rate on any particular item you buy outside the EU is tough going.
    One of the good things about the B & H website and buying from the UK is that once you put in your country, it calculates what the import tax will be, so you buy knowing what the total price, incl tax, is.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by LocalHero1953 View Post
    Trying to find the UK customs tax rate on any particular item you buy outside the EU is tough going. I was thinking about buying a used lens from www.kevincameras.com, simply because they had by far the best selection readily available on line (I didn't buy it, so can't vouch for their service). Eventually I tracked down the customs tax rate as being a few percent - not enough to discourage me, but it was still difficult to be sure I had the right rate. VAT at 20% obviously adds a big sum, but that is predictable. I think in most cases UK buyers would not pay US sales tax, which partly offsets VAT.

In the end my main concern would be if I had to return an item, so, from this side of the water, comments on reputable dealers like B&H are useful, though I don't see the value in buying new photographic stuff from the US for my needs.
    If you switched to an antique camera Paul to match your avatar it seems they come in tax free - if over 100 years old.

From what I could see all specific import duties are relatively low. The other thing I have noticed is that on higher value items the sums do not add up correctly. Less than expected but not by much.

One thing I prefer to import which is generally under the tax free limit is m 4/3 adapters from a Hong Kong seller. They fit better than others I have bought and also come with a cap which also fits correctly. That can be extremely unusual from UK stockists and as they don't really stock them the wait is usually 1 week longer. I am getting sick to death with the increase on ebay of sellers like that. Some even have massive web sites.

That was a bit of a rant.

John
    -

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    If you switched to an antique camera Paul to match your avatar it seems they come in tax free - if over 100 years old.
    -
    My avatar is a genuine UK product, but not over 100 years old - a Gandolfi! It has "Ealing School of Photography" hand carved on it; the school's heyday was, I believe, the 50's and 60's. It also takes 5x4 sheet film, which is also relatively modern. It has had a bit of rough treatment, but is still usable. I picked it up s/h about 15 years ago.

Edit: apologies to the OP - this is a bit off-topic!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Ditto.

Real Name
    Martin

I too have had good experiences with B&H... both online and in person at the NY store. (BTW...if you're in NY the B&H store should be on your "to do" list.)

Importing stuff across a border is always a bit of a "head scratcher". By the time you work out currency conversions and the possibility/probability of paying taxes it can be tough to decide if the online deal is really a deal or not worth the hassle.

I'm fortunate. I have family in the US that we see quite frequently that can hold things for me until I can bring them back as part of my customs exemption.... and I'm close enough to the US border that I have a US mailing address that will accept stuff on my behalf until I can drive down and pick it up.

Having said that, when driving down to pick things up it's always a bit of a gamble as to whether I'll have to pay tax (12%) coming back across the border the same day.

(As an aside... there are a few items en-route from B&H to my family that should be waiting for me when I get there in 10 days!)

EDIT: Correct spelling mistrake

B & H, you cannot beat them they are the greatest. I really enjoy talking to their salesman they know their products and will help you any way they can.

Real Name
    Dan

(BTW...if you're in NY the B&H store should be on your "to do" list.)
    I agree. It's quite an experience. Give yourself a lot of time, because it is enormous. E.g., there is one entire large section devoted to nothing but tripods and monopods. Also, keep in mind that you have to check your bags going in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast