Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "Swans away"

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

"Swans away"

Swans by the river - it struck me the similarity with planes, perhaps it's their shape; hence the wacky captions

Best viewed large, they are all 1200 wide; Hit < f11 > then click the picture for the lytebox

"V1, V2, Rotate"
    "Swans away"
    1/3000s f/8 at 200mm iso500

"Keep in formation No.3"
    "Swans away"
    1/4000s f/8 at 95mm iso500

"If I were a plane, this might end badly"
    "Swans away"

"I'm coming through, break left!"
    "*^%~, Ditching, Ditching"
    "Swans away"
    1/3000s f/8 at 200mm iso500

C&C welcome

Real Name
    Steve

Re: "Swans away"

Very nice dave, i like them all. The only c&c i can give is , softer light.

Real Name
    Rick

Great shots. I think the light really favors #3: pretty much everything you want to see is right there on top, and it really pops.

Cheers,
    Rick

Spectacular! 1 is my favorite. You're right, viewed large is breathtaking. The detail in all the shots is excellent. Well done.

Real Name
    Steve

There are a lot of swans where I live and they never seem to do the things you would like them to but head in my general direction. This I find amazing and doesn't bother me in the slightest until somebody turns up with a dog and sets them off, this is worrying since these things are actually quite big.

Try and wait as long as I may and all I would get is pics of lazy swans and your shots are all the more remarkable because of the patience required to get them. cheers

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Like Rick, I think the light in #3 is just spot-on. Compositionally, #1 has it for me. And ... I'm not sure there could have been a better 'moment of capture' than you have in #1: the alingment of the wings; the fanning of the wing tips; the legs just coming up into the flight position; the trail of water from the legs, the splash remaining from the feet having exited the water. The Golden Moment.

Well done Dave. A successful shoot.

Real Name
    Duc

I think #2 looks more like a painting because the water and the swan blend together as if they were on the same plane.

Real Name
    Wendy

Looks like someone had a good day!

NICE!!! - all of them, and I love the captions. It's really hard to pick a favourite, but I'm kind of partial to #4. It's a one in a million shot that you might not be likely to get again. Same with #2.

ISO 500 looks pretty decent, did you have to do much or any noise reduction?

Wendy

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    ISO 500 looks pretty decent, did you have to do much or any noise reduction?
    Only the default 100's with Noise sliders on Details tab in ACR, nothing more.

Yes, I was lucky with a few of their antics, and being in the right place at the right time.
    I was quite pleased with #4 too, although timing (and hence ideal composition) is a bit off (by a 1/4s or so).

One just has to be a little patient, as Arith says
    That said, I don't think I spent more than an hour there.

Here's another formation one - "Closing on your 9, boss"
    "Swans away"
    1/3000s f/8 at 200mm iso500 - a triumph (?) of careful local sharpening over DoF, that gull was way too close really

And this one is about a third of a second after #3 - "Undercarriage? - check!"
    "Swans away"

Thank you all for the kind comments, I did take quite a bit of trouble not to blow the highlights in PP, even now, they're not perfect, but 'good enough' (hopefully) and of course, shooting in bursts at 3 to 4 fps allows one pick the best compositions.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd March 2010 at 09:24 PM.