Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice wanted - blotchy skin

Re: Advice wanted - blotchy skin

I am very grateful for the contributions.
    My natural inclination, and it seems obvious to me, is to get as much as possible done as part of the shoot rather than in post, although post processing will be vital for dealing with what cannot be done before or as part of image capture, and I'm open to new tools and techniques. The consensus, however, undoubtedly calls for a good MUA. I'll see who I can find!

Paul:

A side comment - those images of the flowers you posted show that the lens creates some pretty horrible bokeh, but it shouldn't affect your portraits.

Bokeh is a matter of opinion! Maybe not beautiful, but interesting and characterful. I selected those images because OOF highlights clearly illustrate the way the Hektor sometimes behaves. It is unpredictable, and with less contrasty background you get a more subdued swirly effect. But I agree, you don't want effects like that on a face

Real Name
    Steve

You could try this http://www.topazlabs.com/clean

I'm not familiar with it but there is a free trial; that is an awesome camera you have, is there any reason for not using a more up to date set up?

Thanks, I'm aware of the Topaz suite (I chose Nik instead) but haven't tried it either. I'll look again.

The Leica M IS as up to date as Leicas go . If you mean "why not an SLR with autofocus and TTL strobe control?", it's a fair point for portraiture, but as I said earlier, I can work with its limitations. I don't find manual flash control difficult, nor, except in very low light, manual focus (and manual focus is often more reliable than so-called intelligent autofocus).

In my strictly amateur photographic career I've had film SLRs, film Leicas, compact digitals and DSLRs, but I find the compact size, simple and quiet operation, and exceptional image quality of the digital Leica suits my needs for travel, landscape, street and portrait, and I'm fortunate to be able to afford it. My only other camera is a point and shoot Ricoh, and even that gets less and less use: I don't get excited much by hardware - I don't believe the kit makes you a better photographer, though in my case it shows up my limitations

Edit: "I don't get excited much by hardware" - well, not entirely true - I can get as excited as others by well engineered and designed camera kit. But I guess I'm more motivated by taking photographs than by the equipment.
    Last edited by LocalHero1953; 3rd July 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12