Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: ptnauticmodels.net

Real Name
    António Correia

ptnauticmodels.net

ptnauticmodels.net is a portuguese site dedicated to model boats.
    Last Saturday, my friend Paulo Simões - who owns that site - gathered some guys around an exposition of model boats and a competition.
    Photographer - as ourselves - were also invited to make some shots.
    I made some shots of the event which I live here for comments, IYP.

We had the company of Rui Leal from Lighting Modes
    1. ptnauticmodels.net
    The event took place here.
    2. ptnauticmodels.net

3. ptnauticmodels.net
    4. ptnauticmodels.net
    5. ptnauticmodels.net
    6. ptnauticmodels.net
    7. ptnauticmodels.net
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 18th September 2008 at 02:48 PM.

Re: ptnauticmodels.net

How much fun.....

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by willgoss View Post
    How much fun.....
    ... ...

the first landscape is beautiful pic indeed! i would have made sure the foreground would have been very sharp ! landscapes have to be very sharp all over........they must poke the viewer with its sharpness

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    the first landscape is beautiful pic indeed! i would have made sure the foreground would have been very sharp ! landscapes have to be very sharp all over........they must poke the viewer with its sharpness
    I was expecting your comments ...
    You are right indeed ...
    The background is not very sharp, no.
    I'll fix it at home.
    Sometimes I am afraid to over do it you know...
    I must learn more of Lightroom ... More. Much more
    Thank you taken

But... what about the others ??? Don't you like them ?
    Mainly picture number 3 shot with a 400mm and a 20D

Real Name
    Ian

Antonio,

I think that you have done very well. Small scale models are always a nightmare to photograph and maintain an adequate depth of field. At least you were outdoors to maximise the light.

Anyone who has ever tried to photograph such subjects will be well aware of the difficulties, and apart from using a different lens and a small aperture, then perhaps the only solution might be getting out onto the lake in a boat to get close! But even then DoF will still be an issue.

Being on water, no doubt you also had the restriction of not being close to all the models, though a 400mm will do nothing for widening your depth of field. Certainly the broadside views don't suffer from this DoF issue, and I think that these are the best. Nice colour rendering, sharp etc. On the final shot you did well to keep the subject sharp whilst obviously moving towards you at high speed. Did you prefocus on a spot before the boat reached it?

I like pic #3 very much...another great DOF magic trick.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by atvinnys View Post
    I like pic #3 very much...another great DOF magic trick.
    Sorry but there is no trick in photo number 3
    No, not really ... Well, Rui Leal borough me his 400mm for a while ( as well as his 15mm in spite of having a 16-35mm ) and I took some shots with it.

We all know that teles ( lenses with many many millimeters like this one ) have the tendency to squeeze (teach me the right word please) the scene and make everything flat with a shallow DoF.

I used the 400 mm on my 20 D at it's widest aperture as I was seeing the DoF on the camera.
    Here is the EXIF
    ptnauticmodels.net

It worked very nice I agree. As always I wish I had done better taking the hole boat in the frame.
    There was many people around and I was needing to be far from my target and I found difficult because there was always someone in between...

Thank you for commenting.

I almost forgot to say that it was a bright and sunny day in the park, which allowed me to use such a hight speed.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio, I think that you have done very well. Small scale models are always a nightmare to photograph and maintain an adequate depth of field. At least you were outdoors to maximise the light...
    Yes I was lucky to be outside so I could shoot with much ease.

...Anyone who has ever tried to photograph such subjects will be well aware of the difficulties, and apart from using a different lens and a small aperture, then perhaps the only solution might be getting out onto the lake in a boat to get close! But even then DoF will still be an issue...
    After I make the shooting I always think that I should have done this and that.
    This time I thought I should have asked my son to borough me his water resistant Canon to allow me to shoot at water level.
    Ah ah ah LOL I am seeing myself in swim suit going into the water to shoot the models LOL
    That would give me superb pictures. Next time I hope.
    I had not the difficulty of the DoF at all. I shoot usually with Aperture priority looking at the speed from time to time (when I don't forget to to do and get blurred shots = shame) and I was using two cameras: the 20D and the 5D...

...On the final shot you did well to keep the subject sharp whilst obviously moving towards you at high speed. Did you prefocus on a spot before the boat reached it?
    On the final shot I was using the AI-Servo and shooting in sequence (I can't remember to say it differently now). From the may be 15 shots I have chosen this one because it looked good to me.
    I was using the 20 D with the 70-200 IS L USM at 200mm what means 200*1,6=320mm what explains how flat is the picture. 1/1000 f/4.0 I used 200 ISO lots and lots of Sun.

Thank you for commenting.
    ptnauticmodels.net