Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting A Concert

Real Name
    Richard

Shooting A Concert

I have to admit that I am not a great music lover. General, and later U.S. President, U.S. Grant once said, "I only know two songs, one is Yankee Doodle and the other one isn't." I must admit that my musical tastes are somewhat akin to Grant's. Thus, I have shot very few concerts, However, I will be covering this concert in August...

Shooting A Concert

If the concert is a success, our several rescue organizations will be somewhat solvent for a long while...

Real Name
    John

Re: Shooting A Concert

Depending on the type of band this type of photography can be all about the motion and energy. Also, you may get the opportunity to play with some shadows and highlights and most importantly dealing with different lighting scenarios.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The statement that the cost of tickets is 100% tax-deductible is highly questionable. First, the organization putting the concert on doesn't decide that; the IRS does and they decide it upon a tax audit. Second, to assume that the cost of the tickets is 100% tax-deductible assumes that the value of the ticket would otherwise be zero. (Not remotely possible.) Third, there are people such as myself for whom the cost of the tickets is clearly not at all tax-deductible. Fourth, every responsible non-profit organization that informs prospective purchasers of the extent to which the cost of tickets is tax-deductible phrases the statement at the very least by saying that a portion of the ticket cost may be tax-deductible and that purchasers should seek legal advice about that. Fifth, sadly, the Maltese Rescue organization is setting itself up for a class-action lawsuit for falsely advertising that the tickets are 100% tax-deductible in the possibility (likely, in my opinion) that the IRS rules otherwise.

I have no idea about California income tax.

I hope the event and aftermath are highly successful for everyone concerned, but to make such a blatant statement is clearly irresponsible.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 20th June 2014 at 02:13 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

One of two scenarios for shooting Richard; either you're endorsed and are thus able to cut through miles of red tape and restrictions, or you're not (heh, good luck).

If you're one of the "chosen ones" then you'll be able to use a tripod and probably have more lighting options. Generally, lighting is crappy (on a good day), and it get more "entertaining" from there.

Tell those yobbos the "get a haircut and get a real job whilst they're at it" when you see them

Real Name
    Martyn

I shoot a few bands although i am pretty crap at it, the key to success is lighting,providing they have a bit of stage lighting you should be ok, nothing worse than the audience having more light than the guys on the stage,I work in manual plus shoot raw and check my histogram for blown highlights once in a while, do not shoot in auto especially if its quite dark with a few spotlights, if any members are animated then home in on them, if not then go for close ups and also remember to use composition,diagonal lines shot from the side is a good one,I dont use flash because its not allowed where i shoot (plus i am not good with it anyway), a mate uses flash when he shoots bands and it looks pretty good but it washes out the stage lights which kind of makes the shot IMO. heres a pic which i loved but never got included (could be because it wasnt the lead singer but hey ho), let me know if you want more info, :-D cheers martyn Shooting A Concert

Real Name
    Adrian

In former days I used to both own a studio and be in a band. Here is what I observed (I was not really a photographer then).

You are connected with the dog thing so access should be no problem I imagine.

1 Get it videod by a pro who understands sound as well. Get the sound feed off the desk if you can. All pro mixing desks will do that. Pro will sync sound and vid no problem. Gigs are about the music.

2 Stills. Get close. Then get closer. You will still not be close enough to get the cool shots, so be insistent. Get on stage or side of stage or just in front of stage if you can.

3 It really pisses the band off if they have pro flash firing off in front of them.

4 So use fast glass and a camera with high ISO capability.

5 Have a towel and lens wipes handy. It gets hot and sweaty if you are anywhere near a lighting rig. Rowdy gigs, emotional crowd, beer can get sprayed around too.

6 Wear ear plugs. Act on this advice or you will regret it. Drums are really, really loud close up, guitar amps likewise and you will not believe how loud a PA stack can be if you walk right in front of it.

7 Keep your gear with you or your assistant at all times and watch it like a hawk or it WILL get stolen. Put name tags on everything. Helps to avoid misunderstandings.

8 Get copyright sorted out in advance. Many bands restrict image rights for pro use.

Have fun. Eagles were a good band so if the tribute band is any good everyone will ahem a great night.

Adrian

Real Name
    Richard

Mike, you are totally correct regarding the tax deduction for the tickets. I didn't do or have input regarding the posters...

Whenever I state that anything (except a straight donation) is tax deductible, I usually phrase it somewhat like this...

The price or a portion of the price may be tax deductible as per Internal Revenue Service regulations.

Whenever we get a straight contribution, we state that "No goods or services were received." in the acknowledgement of the contribution.

We often have adopters give us more than the adoption fee (as a donation) when adopting a dog. We suggest that they do this using two checks. One for the adoption fee and the second for the extra donation. That way 100% of the extra donation can be deducted with no questions asked...

Adrian, thanks for the pointers... I don't plan to video the concert. I do plan to shoot just a few images for our website and for our facebook page.

One of our members has a vacation apartment right next to the pier where the concert will be held it has a lovely outdoor recreation area. The group is coming to her apartment for barbecue after the concert.

I'd love to get a shot of the group with the pier in the background with each member holding a Maltese dog...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 2nd July 2014 at 11:48 PM.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Dear Richard,

Adrian has nailed it. You especially will appreciate having an assistant when you need to use the loo.

I am so excited for you!!!!! Most of all, have fun.

Marie

Real Name
    Richard

Marie...

Unfortunately while most persons consider concerts as fun, I sort of liken them to a trip to the dentist. My wife is amazed and always asks me, "How can you not like music?" I usually answer, "I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones"

However, I really do like bagpipe and other military band music... But, I seriously doubt if we could fill the house for a bagpipe concert

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

But, I seriously doubt if we could fill the house for a bagpipe concert
    Maybe if the bagpiper was this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Op1Mng4oY

Marie

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I have to admit that I am not a great music lover. General, and later U.S. President, U.S. Grant once said, "I only know two songs, one is Yankee Doodle and the other one isn't." I must admit that my musical tastes are somewhat akin to Grant's. Thus, I have shot very few concerts, However, I will be covering this concert in August...

If the concert is a success, our several rescue organizations will be somewhat solvent for a long while...
    Well Richard, in some respects your non-musicality may be a blessing. I'm somewhat the opposite and I'd have a lot of trouble paying attention to the photography aspect because I'd be analyzing and assessing the musicians workmanship.

Good luck - I think you will enjoy a live concert though - they are completely different than listening to a recording.

I had always been a Harry Belafonte fan from the beginning (he starred in a movie called Island In The Sun in the late fifties) but when he performed in a city I used to live in I was completely blown away by the performance.

Have fun and take in the excitement.

Glenn

What's the major difference between bagpipes and onions?

No one cries when you chop up bagpipes.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    What's the major difference between bagpipes and onions?

No one cries when you chop up bagpipes.
    Right, that's it! We're assembling the invasion force now. The pipes will lead the troops ashore.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Marie...

Unfortunately while most persons consider concerts as fun, I sort of liken them to a trip to the dentist. My wife is amazed and always asks me, "How can you not like music?" I usually answer, "I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones"

However, I really do like bagpipe and other military band music... But, I seriously doubt if we could fill the house for a bagpipe concert
    Having very little interest in the music should make it easier for you to concentrate on the photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Right, that's it! We're assembling the invasion force now. The pipes will lead the troops ashore.
    Joke, joke.

How you going to get here? It'll be chilly for a kilt by the time you arrive on foot - marching.

And you'll have a lot of competition - plenty of them here. But they do sound good when played well.

Its a wonderful image!Shooting A Concert

Real Name
    Mark

Yes Glenn you right itll be a hell of a walk because they wont have access to a navy when Scotland devolve from the UK

Yes the above statement was a joke! i do not wish to spark a debate on devolution as photography knows no boarders

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Yes the above statement was a joke! i do not wish to spark a debate on devolution as photography knows no boarders
    Quite right Mark, but:-

a) We already have devolved administration in the UK. What we're talking about is independence.
    b) Why won't we have a navy? The assets of the existing UK need to be split proportionately between its constitutent parts when the 1707 Treaty of Union is repealed. One part of the old UK doesn't get to keep all the assets.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Quite right Mark, but:-

a) We already have devolved administration in the UK. What we're talking about is independence.
    b) Why won't we have a navy? The assets of the existing UK need to be split proportionately between its constitutent parts when the 1707 Treaty of Union is repealed. One part of the old UK doesn't get to keep all the assets.
    They did that at the Independence of India and Partition into India and Pakistan... The splitting up of the military assets went as far as splitting the ceremonial silverware in many officer's messes...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Oooooohhhhhhh love the Eagles, Richard. I used to not like Rod Stewart and didn't want to go to any of his concerts but when I was dragged there, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I ended up with a sore throat afterwards. I am sure you will enjoy this one provided they are the real Eagles singing there instead of the "tribute"...Glad to see that your organization is one of those that will benefit from this concert...

Good luck, mate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast