Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: what camera do you suggest?

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: what camera do you suggest?

Well Andre I will agree with the problems with the Sony HX100V, 16 something MP, came out in 2011, whereas the Sony A33 was 14 something MP and came out in 2010.
    As for the "I do believe a better camera can make you a better Photographer" I can not agree with that, to me what you are saying is better tools will make you better. To me more practice will make you more skilled, at what you are intending to do. If I believe as you do, then going out and buying better pots and pans is really going to take my cooking skills to the next level and beyond. I think not, having better equipment is one thing, using the skills that you learned thru mistakes, and applying those skills to the equipment that you now more control over is what makes lead you to be a better photographer.
    As for the picture of your daughter, you want to print it 16x24 on canvas, do it, if you yourself do not print you have little to no idea as to how it will look. If you want bright, rich colours, fine detail than print on a gloss or luster, if you want canvas than it will not be as bright, or have as rich colours and fine details will be soft. As for the noise you will not see it, as the printer is not able to print the difference between 0 and 35 on canvas you might see the tone difference between 35 and 36, however everything below 35 will be one tone (black). So have it printed remember, when printed you are seeing reflected light, on the screen you are seeing projected light. Another thing depending on when you took the image, why not reprocess it, the software programs are much better with noise reduction than 2 to 3 years ago, then have it printed.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    wm c boyer

C'mon guys, we all know that judging image quality based solely on internet imagery is an exercise in
    futility but, we can judge artistic ability based on that same imagery.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Yes Allan, it would have. I would have been able to get shots that is impossible to get with the HX100v.

The HX100v takes forever to switch on, the buffer takes forever to clear after a burst. The EVF is useless for panning, the AF system is slow. It does not have enough functions to do what I want it to do.

I do believe a better camera can make you a better Photographer. It might not make you a better artist or develop your artistic inclination but it can help the Artist in the Photographer develop skills to capture better images.
    +

Perhaps you should have gone for a Panasonic ... I learnt long ago that not all bridge cameras are equal and glad by pure luck a store offered interest free terms on a Pany and I have stayed with 'big FZs' since and disposed of my [old] APS-C when I got my Panasonic MFT.

I agree with Andre that ignoring MF that the FF is the top, which I could afford, but I don't need it ... so I run MFT and Bridge.
    I don't need Photoshop and the other Adobe products and am perfectly happy with Paint Shop Pro, I did have PS awhile back but simply didn't like the way it was arranged and didn't NEED to use it. MY latest copy of PSPx6 cost me under NZ$100, that is 303 days of PS etc and really I was happy with the earlier version I was using so really didn't NEED to splurge on it

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I would certainly suggest that you try the bridge camera route; it will give you a lot of capabilities for limited cash outlay.

If you get into landscape work or portraiture; you might want to move into a full-frame camera;
    Certainly for landscape you can take multipe frames and stitch them together to obtain similar pixel count and resolution ... not long ago APS-C were only 3 or 4 MP

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    If you enjoy closeup or wild-life photography, a crop-frame might be a better answer; and

If you get into street photography, a mirrorless might be your best option.
    If you want reach for wild life then you can get telephoto adaptors if the bridge doesn't have as long a zoom and end up not spending your whole budget on just the long lens as likely with FF. With only an older x12 zoom I still have 950mm reach which is pretty similar with fewer problems than the latest bridge cameras. Then using a good moderate close-up lens to enable you to use the full zoom range of the bridge permits subjects at least as small as 35mm across to fill the sensor. My prefered way despite having alternative.
    On the other had my best 'wild life' was taken with a 70mm lens on the old 6Mp APS-C using a 'hide' ... I can argue both ways

Not that I am disputing what Manfred wrote ... just pointing out there are not clear distinctions but a lot of choices for individual preferences.

Real Name
    Tareq Alhamrani

I don't know if you decided on a camera yet, but if you want my advise even many will disagree with me, then just go with FF and never look back.

I bought many many cameras, i shoot everything but mostly landscapes and cityscape, and to be honest, i even shoot sports with FF, i will do for wildlife and macro and anything else, simply i started with a crop factor camera and then i upgraded very very quickly even i was beginner.

My recommendations as camera to start with list will be:

1. Sony A7R
    2. Sony A7
    3. Canon 5D MarkIII
    4. Canon 6D
    5. Canon 5D MarkII if you don't mind second hand if you can't find brand new

If you didn't mention Canon then i will recommend Nikon cameras as well such as D800/D810, but i don't want to give much longer list for you.

About the glass, think twice and carefully of what to buy, there are some cheap lenses will give you amazing results, but that doesn't mean it will always be the best idea to go only with cheap, the first lens i will always like to begin with will be 24-70 or 24-105 as it will cover most general FL, then i can buy more from there.

Good luck!

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi,

I'd suggest an entry-level Canon/18-105mm kit lens. Shoot it for 6months and/or 10K shots.
    Read/research books/DVD/on-line( like our forum here) about photography.

View pictures of the "masters". Yes, even your collection of camphone pictures. You'll get to know what kind of subjects you like to shoot. After which, you'll sort of know what higher-end cam/lens you really want/need. Don't rush.

Hope this helps.

Meanwhile, enjoy shooting!

( btw, maybe, check out Andre's advice like saving or investing the rest of your budget before moving on to more expensive camera/lens.

Oh, aside from your cam, with your budget, I'd suggest you get a simpe photo editor like Lightroom 5. Perhaps, later on, Photoshop.
    Get the latest hi-tech laptop or desktop with a lotta hard drive capacity/speed/etc. suitable for editing. )
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 21st July 2014 at 09:01 PM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Yes Allan, it would have. I would have been able to get shots that is impossible to get with the HX100v.

But do you need to take everything that takes your eye ...early in digital as I went on holiday with my 3.3Mp P&S with its x2 zoom lens I shot what suited the camera .. no great problem or loss.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345