Thread: Tripod Input

Tripod Input

Ok, so I was searching for some information on tripods....I could only find one post in the forum, but it was for people across the pond. So, I would like to start one here, and maybe get some advice.

I am looking for a tripod....no kidding, right. Well, I read the information in tutorial section....now let me ask the question(s).

I am looking for a tripod that can extend at least to 60". I would like one to be somewhat manageable as weight is concerned, so that I can carry it with me and actually use it.

The other feature(s) that I think are important for me...I would like the bubble level, and I would really like the ability to have a quick release....the cheap tripod I currently use is a screw on version, and its just a pain in the neck when I want to change/use the camera.

I like taking landscape photos and maybe portraits...so I was hoping someone might be able to at least point me in the right direction....

Thanks all,

Warren

Re: Tripod Input

Don't know if this is in your price range or not, but take a look at this Manfrotto tripod and quick release ballhead combo. The tripod extends to 60" without raising the center column and the center column tilts and is reversible for macro work. The ball head and quick release will hold your camera securely, even with a long, heavy telephoto on it.

I have this setup. It is rock solid. I have a 70-300 tele that does not have a tripod ring on it, but the ball head has no trouble holding it securely.

The photo my avatar is taken from was shot with that combo.
    Last edited by Terry Tedor; 19th March 2010 at 06:01 PM.

I use the same tripod assembly that Terry recommended, although I push it to a Sigma 150-500 lens without any problems. A biggish lens plus flash unit can cause some downward creep unless the adjustable friction control is tightened.

Initially I found that ball head unit to be too awkward to use for quick wildlife shots but eventually (after some positive thinking) I realised that you can remove the camera attachment plate, rotate the handle by 180 degrees then reattach the camera plate to alternative screw holes, after removing the rubber plugs. Now I can easily control the head with my left hand while my right index finger is on the shutter button always ready for instant action. In reality this is easier than it sounds.

There are, however, two slight problems with this tripod and head; namely weight and price. But neither is too excessive.

For a general purpose easy carry tripod, I have recently purchased a Velbon Luxi L which has 4 section legs so it folds up to a more compact and manageable size, it is much lighter in weight and with a price which is a little under £100. However, you need it at full stretch to reach 60 ins and it does then start to get a little 'wobbly' with a heavy camera/lens.

So if the price, weight and fairly large fold up size of the Manfrotto isn't a problem; I fully recommend it, although you may want to also consider some of the other head arrangements.

Real Name
    Steve

I use this one. It's a pretty good tripod. It weighs about 5 lbs though, but is sturdy. $202.00

(1 review) ManfrottoB&H Kit
    190XB Tripod Legs (Black) with 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head
    Quick Release Supports 8.8 lbs (4kg)
    B&H # MA190XB804RC Mfr # 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Initially I found that ball head unit to be too awkward to use for quick wildlife shots but eventually (after some positive thinking) I realised that you can remove the camera attachment plate, rotate the handle by 180 degrees then reattach the camera plate to alternative screw holes, after removing the rubber plugs. Now I can easily control the head with my left hand while my right index finger is on the shutter button always ready for instant action. In reality this is easier than it sounds.
    You know, I knew the handle was reversible, but I never thought of trying it or using it like that for that specific purpose. I do see where it would come in handy though. I'm right handed, so there may be some effort involved in "retraining the brain", but I may give that a shot.

Usually, I just plug in the remote control cord to the camera and hold the release in my left hand, but I think I may switch it around this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks for reminding me about that feature.
    Last edited by Terry Tedor; 19th March 2010 at 08:34 PM.