Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lens stuck on Canon 7D

Real Name
    Terri

Lens stuck on Canon 7D

EDITED TO SAY THIS IS NOW FIXED. SEE BELOW.
    I'm in a bit of a panic this morning. Yesterday I picked up a "new to me" Canon 16-35 F2.8 lens. The lens seems in very good condition. I mounted it on my 7D yesterday afternoon and it works perfectly. But this morning, I cannot remove it from the camera. I push the release button and it turns only slightly. No clicking or sound of any kind. It still works. Doing some searches, some said that screws sometime come loose on a lens mount and work their way out enough to stop the lens. Of course, I have no idea if this is it or not but I tried their suggestion of pointing the camera straight down, pushing the lens downward while turning and this has no affect.

The lens did seem tight when I put it on, but I didn't feel like I had to force it. My 50mm 1.4 also feels tight like this one did when I put it on so I didn't really think anything about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I call Canon or take it to a local repair facility?

I'm certain that this will be when I'll spot something exciting like a bear or mountain lion and me with a wide angle lens on the camera!!
    Last edited by terrib; 16th June 2014 at 01:56 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Lens stuck on Canon 7D

Try gently turning it slowly and slightly each way while pressing in the release button. That may free up what ever pin is locking it in place.

John
    -

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

A photographer I know had this with a 800E and 500mm Canon lans, i was a canon repair.

Google also Lens stuck on Canon camera, there are many

Real Name
    Terri

I got the lens off. First, I set it outside at 42 degrees for a bit. Not sure if this had anything at all to do with fixing it but I figured it was worth as shot to see if the expanding/contracting metal might help.

Then I just persevered with keeping the button pressed, lens pointed down and shaking gently, tilting it different directions while moving it back and forth the short distance it would turn. I kept it up for a bit until it finally released.

I've checked all the screws on both camera and lens and they all seem tight. I didn't see any debris fall out. The contacts seem clean so I'm not sure what happened unless I just didn't have it straight when I put it on. Haven't gotten the nerve to put it back on yet.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Have had numerous Canon bodies/lenses, purchased new, never had the "tight" difficulty you describe.
    Examining the mounting surfaces with a loop/magnifying glass would be a good starting point.

Real Name
    John

I couldn't remember how the Canon latch works. Not been out for some time. I assume the pin on the camera body spring is in good order and it can be pushed in, springs out and that pressing the button takes it a bit below the surface of the mount.

I would look carefully at the ends of the bayonet on the lens with a magnifying glass and make sure they aren't bent or have a bur etc. Difficult to see how the screw in the bayonet groove could cause problems but check to see if tight and not bent. That latches on the pin in the camera.

John
    -

Real Name
    Ken

I checked my 5D Mk 2, with 24-105 lens. The release button depresses a pin that locates in a hole on the lens face adjacent to the red locating mark on the outside of the lens. Either there may have been damage to the hole, or some dirt in it, or the pin is not withdrawing sufficiently to release the lens, which will be related to the release button on the lens.

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you all for your ideas. I still haven't had a chance to try to compare this to my other lenses. I did put it on and off of my old body (Canon Xsi) and no problems. I started it back on the 7D and it felt good up until the last little bit and it felt tight enough I decided to wait until I could gather my lenses and compare them. I'm pretty sure my 50mm was tight like this but don't remember if it was on both bodies. I don't notice any burs or dings or bent parts and the pin seems fine. So for now, this one stays on the second body so my 7D is free for my most used long lenses, which, by the way, go on and off just fine. I'll update if I find anything new. Thank you!

Real Name
    David

Glad you found a way to remove the lens.
    I hate it when stuff like that happens. I lose total confidence in my gear. Right now my 6 year old desktop Dell is giving me fits. Yesterday I researched MacBook Pro laptops but didn't jump. I'll nurse the Dell along and tolerate the stopages for a little while longer. Sometimes I dispose of a poor functioning widget prematurly. My TV remote control started to lose functions one by one so I threw the damn thing out only to realize later that I should have at least tried putting in new batteries... There is a lesson there.

Enjoy your adventures in photography.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I'll nurse the Dell along and tolerate the stopages for a little while longer.
    Not sure if this is a desktop or laptop. In either case, the most likely cause is overheating caused by either a fan failure or in the case of a desktop "dust bunnies" blocking air intakes / exhausts or even the fan. A simple cleaning will often solve this problem.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Not sure if this is a desktop or laptop. In either case, the most likely cause is overheating caused by either a fan failure or in the case of a desktop "dust bunnies" blocking air intakes / exhausts or even the fan. A simple cleaning will often solve this problem.
    Often the cpu heatsink and others get blocked with dust as well caught between the fins. Many cpu heat sinks have a fan that blows down on them. I always swap those out for one that blows through as they stay cleaner for a lot longer and are also easier to clean. The fan may need detaching on the other type but often a long bristled 1in paint brush can be used.

The heat sink on my HP blows through but to improve the efficiency further HP have enclosed it making it difficult to clean. I've noticed some tasks take a little longer lately - cpu throttling back due to heat build up.

Back on topic. I'd guess that if examined carefully the pin in the camera body is distorted or has been scraped on the end and no longer goes fully into the body. I doubt if a repair costs an exorbitant amount - Hard to be sure so probably best to ask. Parts should be available as they can wear and forceful lens fitting could also easily bend the pin.

On the other hand the screw in the grooves in the bayonet on the lens might be bent or loose.

Some people have been known to purposefully distort the bayonet itself as a quick fix for a loose fitting lens. That will be hard to spot but sometimes the chrome on the lens looks worn where it engages, maybe even worn away.

John

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

On the backside of the camera bayonet mount, there are springs, to hold the lens firmly against the mount. There might be some obstruction there, which can be fixed by removing the mount from the camera and checking/correcting what's on the rear side of the mount before putting it back, as for example a loose screw or similar.