Thread: Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Fo' Eye Are

Faux IR images shot with a Canon G3 and Hoya R72 filter. No post processing toning, white point set on clouds to remove magenta cast from the R72. The G3 is a 4.0MP third generation digicam, with a somewhat noisy (by today's standards) sensor. Taken May/June 2003. More are on my Flickr page here.

I've been off line for a few days putting my new computer together. Now that I've got a stable machine that won't crash on me, I look forward to posting more photos.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Cheers, Terry

Oh, and these are my first posts for C&C.

Re: Fo' Eye Are

Interesting, Terry. I see from the EXIF that exposure was about 2secs for most of them. I would have thought you would need longer. I have an R72 filter but haven't actually used it yet (got an old Fuji camera it's supposed to work well with). Did you use any special process to take the shots?

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Terry,

Good to see some of your IR shots. Especially like the two with the shack. I usually set white balance from some convenient grass but that's with a converted DSLR and not the R72, your method seems to work here.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Interesting, Terry. I see from the EXIF that exposure was about 2secs for most of them. I would have thought you would need longer. I have an R72 filter but haven't actually used it yet (got an old Fuji camera it's supposed to work well with). Did you use any special process to take the shots?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Hi Terry,

Good to see some of your IR shots. Especially like the two with the shack. I usually set white balance from some convenient grass but that's with a converted DSLR and not the R72, your method seems to work here.

Peter
    Thanks gents, I appreciate it. I probably could have gone longer than 2 seconds, but the LCD screen on the G3 coupled with the R72 makes it hard to evaluate the image in the field. I found one image that had a 5 sec. exposure, I'll see if I can post it later. Looking back at it, the histogram for the 5 sec. exposure looks better than the 2 sec. ones; the 2 sec. ones were pretty compressed. The first 4 shots were RAW, converted in ACR. I elminated the magenta cast from the R72 by setting the white point on the brightest portion of the cloud top and then I tweaked on the histogram with the "Exposure" and "Black" adjustments to bring up the contrast. The two shots of the barn (shack) were in-camera jpeg conversion using a custom white balance on a gray card. I didn't like the results of the custom white balance, so I used the white point dropper as I did in the RAW images to readjust the white point in ACR then used "Exposure" and "Black" to add some contrast. For all 6 images I also added +15 to the "Vivacity" and "Clarity" and +10 to the "Saturation" in ACR before sending them to PS for Capture Sharpening, LCE and finally Output Sharpening after resizing. FYI - the roof of the barn is bare tin metal and the sides are red, with the R72 the colors are almost reversed. I found it interesting that the foliage retained some of it's green color. I have some color shots of the barn taken on the same day without the R72, I'll post them too just for comparison purposes.

Rob, that old Fuji, is it digital or film?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    Rob, that old Fuji, is it digital or film?
    Digital. It's a Finepix 9500 http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...nePix-S9500/p1 And I can assure you it's not quite as good as my Canon 5D. I'll have a go.

Thanks for the info. I'll need it.

Digital. It's a Finepix 9500 http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...nePix-S9500/p1 And I can assure you it's not quite as good as my Canon 5D. I'll have a go.

Thanks for the info. I'll need it.
    That looks like it will be fun. I couldn't tell, is the front end threaded to accept filters? Are you going to give it a whirl with the R72 or have it modified like Peter had his 10D modded?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tedor View Post
    That looks like it will be fun. I couldn't tell, is the front end threaded to accept filters? Are you going to give it a whirl with the R72 or have it modified like Peter had his 10D modded?
    It's threaded. I have the filter, but have not had a chance to use it yet. I'll try it out in the garden.

It's threaded. I have the filter, but have not had a chance to use it yet. I'll try it out in the garden.
    Looking forward to seeing the results.

Real Name
    Rick

I love #4: the open space, trees, and wispy clouds. I like the two with the shack, too.

Cheers,
    Rick

Thank you Rick. 4 is my favorite too. I've been wanting to get out and try this with my 50D to see how snow scenes turn out. The weather's been great. Too great as a matter of fact; crystal clear and not a cloud in the sky three days in a row. Gotta have some clouds in the shot, a boring sky won't do. Thanks again.

Regards,

Terry

Here's the one shot with a 5 second exposure:

As shot:

Fo' Eye Are

White point set on cloud top below upper leftmost flare:

Fo' Eye Are

Contrast adjusted in ACR:

Fo' Eye Are
    Last edited by Terry Tedor; 20th March 2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Fix busted links.