Thread: Snowdrops

Real Name
    Peter

Snowdrops

Another from Wisley on Saturday.

Snowdrops

Re: Snowdrops

Peter

I think there is too much backlight at the top. It makes it hard to get the details in the flower heads. But I know how difficult it is to get shots such as this right. I did a similar shot last year and I used a 5 inch high band of black art paper behind the flowers to shield the brightest light, but I still had plenty of light on top. I often carry it with me in the spring/summer as it forms a useful backdrop for flowers. I also find one of those collapsible reflectors useful - mine has a mesh screen which is good for diffusing the strong overhead sunlight, which I think you could have done with here.

My shot is here on my website if you want a look (second row) The Lysimachia (first shot) and the Primula Viali were also taken outdoors with the black backdrop and overhead diffuser. http://www.carregwenimages.com/section135630_60063.html

Keep meaning to visit Wisley, as the wife is an RHS member. Worth a visit?

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    Peter

Keep meaning to visit Wisley, as the wife is an RHS member. Worth a visit?
    Hi Rob,

I know what you mean about the background, sounds like a good idea to carry a reflector/background, must investigate that. Wisley is well worth a visit, there quite a few other 'togs there on Saturday. Pity the spring flowers were so late

Peter

Agree with Rob. The center flower is nice and the surrounding flowers frame it nicely but the background is distracting.