Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Absolutely Awesome Imagery

Real Name
    Richard

Absolutely Awesome Imagery

I am awed at the magnificent quality of Brett Cole's photography. He has granted me permission to share his web site with other photographers. Enjoy:
    http://www.wildnorthwest.org/galleries/oregon.html

Re: Absolutely Awesome Imagery

A very interesting series of images - I certainly like his composition and presentation of macro, often an area where one gets in ultra close he appears to have a liking to standing a little further back. We don't see those ultra strong details, but we get a lovely photo as a result of the strong compostion.

A few images in there appear to be "below" what I would say is his standard or below the standard of others - if he stripped out a few (ie was really ruthless in what he showed) the set would have even more impact that it does now (which by the way is not saying he is a bad photographer nor bad for the showing images)

Real Name
    Steve

I think some are incredible and something to aspire to.

My equipment list is not all that far behind his. http://www.wildnorthwest.org/equip.html

My photography is a long, long way behind...

Yes they are awesome... Thanks for sharing...

I agree with Overread. The good ones are very very good but they are mixed with some fairly standard stuff. It is almost as if its a different photographer.

His equipment list is nothing like mine, except for the 40d....damn you made me smudge the nail polish on the red ring I'm painting around my 18-55. Does acetone melt plastic...oh yea it does...I always wanted a fisheye anyway?

Steve

Real Name
    Jo Garrett

I agree a stunning collection of photos. I think editing out photos is the hardest thing to do - especially one's own. But maybe some of them are in there to give context to fully describe the places he is documenting.

Thanks for sharing, definitely one to bookmark.

Had a little longer and had a look through some of his other galleries (linked to at the bottom of his page) his Zoo and Africa Galleries are far more impressive (in my view) and his conservation shows very very creative (and sometimes bloody) work - not as strong a set overall as the others, but the few images stand out really do stand out very strong.

I do agree its very hard to be ones own judge the cut out the "lesser" images. For myself I know I post images that are lesser than my best, but often I still attach some wording to them and this is something I wish the photographer here had done - since often some of his lesser images are - I think - telling a story to us sometimes a little more than some of his better ones (his conservation gallery aside where his strongest mesages are very much with his stongest images.